• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Improving Pushup Score

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
1. Hit The Deck Program

wk1
Mon- (test); 30% of RM every 60min
Tue- 50% 60min
Wed- 60% 45min
Thur- 25% 60min
Fri- 45% 30min
Sat- 40% 60min
Sun- 20% 90min
Wk2
Mon- (test); 35% 45min
Tue- 45% 60min
Wed- 30% 15min
Thur- 65% 60min
Fri- 35% 45min
Sat- 45% 60min
Sun- 25% 120min

Wk3
Mon- Test

Drop and Give Me 100

Wk1

Mon- test; 40% 60min
Tue- 50% 30min
Wed- 70% 45min
Thur- 40% 60min
Fri- 80% 60min
Sat- 55% 90min
Sun- 20% 90min

Wk2

Mon- test; 90% 120min
Tue- 55% 20min
Wed- 20% 10min
Thur- 65% 90min
Fri- 75% 60min
Sat- 30% 90min
Sun- 15% 120min

Wk3

Mon- Test

From another post about push-ups

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I like the program of "Push heavy shit away from you, then pull it back toward you". Followed shortly thereafter by "Pick up heavy shit. Put it back down".

Works like a charm. :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I like the program of "Push heavy shit away from you, then pull it back toward you". Followed shortly thereafter by "Pick up heavy shit. Put it back down".

Works like a charm. :)

Swing dancing with your girlfriend doesn't count as a workout...

But in all seriousness, a good point. Getting a good base will help out alot. I found that by mixing pushups in with my daily workouts, it helped considerably. Honestly, the only way you'll get better at doing pushups is to get yourself stronger and do pushups.

KBayDog

1. Hit The Deck Program

(lots of numbers)

1. Hit The Deck Program:

3941488348_b8c9647308.jpg

Any questions?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chugging out of a bottle of Jack, aka deployment 2012 for CommodoreMid.

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
So, I've been lifting a lot the past couple of weeks. Most of the focus has been on my triceps and chest. Lifting coupled with the program found here: http://hundredpushups.com/week4.html#sthash.3BY5KsSB.dpbs has upped my pushup score into the low-mid 40s. This is coming from struggling hard to get to 30 a couple of weeks ago.

I'm glad I could get a good amount of feedback on the subject, and I've considered most of the input here. The armstrong pull-up program sounds promising but incredibly time-intensive. My workouts are usually secluded to a single 2-3 hour block on most days.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm glad I could get a good amount of feedback on the subject, and I've considered most of the input here. The armstrong pull-up program sounds promising but incredibly time-intensive. My workouts are usually secluded to a single 2-3 hour block on most days.

I like the Recon Ron pullup program. The difference between the two programs is Armstrong was made by a guy who wanted to do a gazillion pullups, the Recon Ron program is designed to get you up to 20. I've been doing the Recon Ron program and I've noticed a pretty good jump in my pullups. If you absolutely suck at pullups to begin with, just scale down the numbers till you can do the sets, even if that means doing 1-2 pullups only in a set. Over time it'll build up.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What should I be doing to build the endurance in my arms/chest?
The answer to your question is to start a weight lifting program to supplement your running, and go on a weight loss diet. 30 pushups max is not an endurance problem, it's a strength and fitness problem.

Yea yea there's no weights at OCS, but weightlifting is the most efficient means to build strength. You can either do 9-12 sets of 10 reps of something heavy for 20 minutes per muscle group or attempt to do 100s of reps of pushups at all hours of the day to achieve the same results.

There's no shortcut to fitness. A lot of the questions asked in this section boil down to changing one's diet and starting a workout routine. Different story if one is trying to get from 80 pushups to 100 or getting down to a sub 9 min 1.5 mile, but that's not the case here.

dotonfire

I used the Hundred Pushup program you mentioned and it got me well past 100 pushups - keep at it!

Also, there are weights in OCS. Third deck, door on the right just before the Candio halls. Your DI might let you use it before you reach Candio phase, as well as the DI gym after hours.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Thought somebody somewhere might find this helpful- http://www.howcast.com/guides/662-Boot-Camp-Learn-about-Basic-Training

It's a series of videos by an army drill instructor designed to get people ready for boot camp, but there's a couple of helpful sections on how to improve your PT scores with pushups, situps and he also recommends that you stop smoking, snacking and.... using crack cocaine. Cause you know, the last one is such as common problem?

Johny0nThaSp0t

pilot
Hi folks, I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I've spent the past two months preparing to put together a packet for OCS for a board sometime early next year. Generally, I feel like I have a good grasp on everything although the process has been entirely a solo endeavor (minus a couple chats with my OR), and reading through/compiling all the gouge has been an incredibly daunting task - not to mention shaping up for the PRT following the ASTB.

A little background: I'm 6'3, 210, probably close to 18% bodyfat. Since August, I've upped my weekly running mileage from 10 to 30ish miles a week - mostly to drop weight. My 1.5 mile run best is right at 10:30. Curl-ups average 65, closer to 70 on a good day. My problem area definitely is definitely the pushup. In one set, I struggle to get past 30. Though, with a minute or two between sets, I can get up to 80 with good form (10-20-15-15-20 or some variant). I feel as though my strength bottlenecks at my arms (triceps) and my chest is much stronger. What should I be doing to build the endurance in my arms/chest?

I'm taking the ASTB on 11/29. National security clearance should be done by the end of December if all goes accordingly. I want to get to MEPS asap thereafter to get my packet out for the earliest board available next year. So that's the goal: get my pushup score from 30 to the upper 60s / 70s within two months. Feasible?

Get off the forums and hit the gym. Find someone that's not weak and mirror them. You'll learn that although your workout looks good on paper, you are not doing something right. 30 pushups is crazy weak.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Here's what is working for me. This is from another post in the OCS forum. It's not just for push-ups but my push-up count is at least 8X's what is was before.

I have been training for a marathon using the Hal Higdon marathon training plan and it is awesome! I ran a half marathon last weekend and I finished in 2 hours 9 minutes. I know that’s not fast but its way faster than when I started (plus I’m almost 34). I am also doing the 100 push up plan and the 200 sit up plan. The gym is great and I love to workout but I’ve been focusing on smoking the PRT! I’m also working on improving my 1.5 mile run at least once a week with interval run training.

All of these plans are free and they will produce results if you hit it hard. I’ve lost a ton of weight by eating healthy, cutting out beer and working out 4-5 times a week.

Here are the links to those training plans if anyone is interested.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html
http://www.twohundredsitups.com/test.html

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I LOVE the 100 pushup and 200 sit up workouts. The best part is that there are phone apps available for them. I get reminders on my phone and then when I am at work and have a few minutes, I can do my workout. There is nothing like finding a tiny corner of a mechanical room, behind the air handlers, and doing push ups in full PPE. FYI, hard hats can get in the way depending on how big the brim is.