• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP! I know nothing!!

GS-W

AH-1 W
I will start with saying I probably know less about military information than almost everyone on this site so the abbreviations don't help me...

I am a first semester senior in college.

I contacted an officer selection officer.

I scored a 285 on my PFT
I go to the University of San Diego and have a 3.5
I just took the ASTB today.
Passed through MEPS
I noticed people are noting vision mine is 20/15

1) Assuming I pass the ASTB, and get accepted, what would I do from here?
2) when do I sign a contract?
3) can I get my student loans paid for?
4) can I be able to get graduate school paid for?
5) do aviation marine officers go to a different OCS than ground marines?
6) how long is OCS?
7) do i get compensated for attending OCS?
8) Anyone know approximately the % of questions I need to get correct on the ASTB to pass? (i looked around on the ASTB section and it just said i need a 6/4/6, but I have no idea what that it out of or what that means, I believe I did well, I should have passed, but just wondering if you maybe need to answer about 80% of the questions correct or what?)
9) with these scores am i likely to get accepted?
10) how long would I sign for?
11) how much would I make, bonuses?

I looked around the site a lot and find a lot of different information and all the abbreviations such as PLC and 100 other confuse me.

Any information would help regarding these questions or other information that you believe would be Helpful

yodaears

pilot
I will start with saying I probably know less about military information than almost everyone on this site so the abbreviations don't help me...

I am a first semester senior in college.

I contacted an officer selection officer.

I scored a 285 on my PFT
I go to the University of San Diego and have a 3.5
I just took the ASTB today.
Passed through MEPS
I noticed people are noting vision mine is 20/15

1) Assuming I pass the ASTB, and get accepted, what would I do from here?
2) when do I sign a contract?
3) can I get my student loans paid for?
4) can I be able to get graduate school paid for?
5) do aviation marine officers go to a different OCS than ground marines?
6) how long is OCS?
7) do i get compensated for attending OCS?
8) Anyone know approximately the % of questions I need to get correct on the ASTB to pass? (i looked around on the ASTB section and it just said i need a 6/4/6, but I have no idea what that it out of or what that means, I believe I did well, I should have passed, but just wondering if you maybe need to answer about 80% of the questions correct or what?)
9) with these scores am i likely to get accepted?
10) how long would I sign for?
11) how much would I make, bonuses?

I looked around the site a lot and find a lot of different information and all the abbreviations such as PLC and 100 other confuse me.

Any information would help regarding these questions or other information that you believe would be Helpful

1) OCS as a flight contract which is ten weeks, TBS after commissioning which lasts 6 months from when you class up. After that you head down to flight school if that's what you end up wanting to do. Consists of API (6 weeks), Primary (roughly 6-9 months), and advanced (time varies considerably depending on pipeline).

2) You aren't obligated until you accept your commission after OCS but you may sign some documents concerning an aviation contract before OCS.

3) Not 100% sure but I think so

4) Yes, but not immediately unless you go as a JAG (lawyer). But there are lots of follow on educational opportunities in the Military

5) Absolutely NOT!

6) Ten weeks for your situation

7) Yes, you earn E-5 salary while there. Google the pay rates to see exactly how much that is.

8) No idea, it's not rocket science though, at least not all of it.

9) Do your best, air contracts are extremely competitive right now if there are any available at all.

10) Fixed wing pilots have eight year obligations from their WINGING DATE, helo drivers have six year obligations from WINGING DATE (correct me fellow AWs if this has changed on the helo side).

11) There is a base salary for your rank and time in service. Other income will depend on where you live, if you're single or married, and how long you've been flying.

Hope this helps at least a little.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When you get selected..you also get to keep saying the title of your subject line for the next 2 years. It helps in key situations...technique only my friend.

GS-W

AH-1 W
1) OCS as a flight contract which is ten weeks, TBS after commissioning which lasts 6 months from when you class up. After that you head down to flight school if that's what you end up wanting to do. Consists of API (6 weeks), Primary (roughly 6-9 months), and advanced (time varies considerably depending on pipeline).

2) You aren't obligated until you accept your commission after OCS but you may sign some documents concerning an aviation contract before OCS.

3) Not 100% sure but I think so

4) Yes, but not immediately unless you go as a JAG (lawyer). But there are lots of follow on educational opportunities in the Military

5) Absolutely NOT!

6) Ten weeks for your situation

7) Yes, you earn E-5 salary while there. Google the pay rates to see exactly how much that is.

8) No idea, it's not rocket science though, at least not all of it.

9) Do your best, air contracts are extremely competitive right now if there are any available at all.

10) Fixed wing pilots have eight year obligations from their WINGING DATE, helo drivers have six year obligations from WINGING DATE (correct me fellow AWs if this has changed on the helo side).

11) There is a base salary for your rank and time in service. Other income will depend on where you live, if you're single or married, and how long you've been flying.

Hope this helps at least a little.

That helps a lot! Thanks for all the advice!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
11) On addition to your base salary, as an aviator you rate flight pay (AKA Aviation Career Incentive Pay) that goes up as you meet certain gates. Depending on how many aviators are getting out or staying in, there have been aviation "bonuses" to encourage aviators to stay on active duty well past their initial obligation. In today's operation environment, you'll likely qualify for Hostile Fire Pay/Immiinent Danger Pay and Navy pays you for Sea Duty (under criteria similar to flight pay gates). An indirect bonus is getting tax relief on certain allowances as well as being deployed in "War Zone" past certain number of days. Others can fill in exact details on all of the above. This is just off top of my head. And...if you align you Home of Record to the right state, you can relief form State Taxes as well.

GS-W

AH-1 W
11) On addition to your base salary, as an aviator you rate flight pay (AKA Aviation Career Incentive Pay) that goes up as you meet certain gates. Depending on how many aviators are getting out or staying in, there have been aviation "bonuses" to encourage aviators to stay on active duty well past their initial obligation. In today's operation environment, you'll likely qualify for Hostile Fire Pay/Hazardous Duty Pay and Navy pays you for Sea Duty (under criteria similar to flight pay gates). An indirect bonus is getting tax relief on certain allowances as well as being deployed in "War Zone" past certain number of days. Others can fill in exact details on all of the above. This is just off top of my head. And...if you align you Home of Record to the right state, you can relief form State Taxes as well.

Wow, so basically there is are a lot of perks available. So by having your home address in a different state, you get tax exemption ? Which states?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
sgt-schultz-hogans-heroes.jpg

Came in for Sgt. Schultz, left satisfied.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also noticed it was mentioned that aviation contracts are rare.

How many are given out?

Not so. What you may have heard was USMC is pushing their air contracts to later this year so best get your package in ASAP. Your OSO can give you latest on how many are available. Nobody here knows how many are given out and your mileage may vary.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Not so. What you may have heard was USMC is pushing their air contracts to later this year so best get your package in ASAP. Your OSO can give you latest on how many are available. Nobody here knows how many are given out and your mileage may vary.

I got my package in by the feb. 10th deadline. Hopefully it will suffice!

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I got my package in by the feb. 10th deadline. Hopefully it will suffice!

Jeez, Garrett. For someone that doesn't know shit, you are ahead of the curve. Well done.

Don't worry, I didn't know a damn thing about the military when I signed up and had no idea what I was getting into. You'll learn soon enough, I assure you.

One bit of advice, if I may, because this happened to me: If your dream is to fly, then don't sign anything other than a contract that will let you fly. I'm guessing you are looking at pilot (or SNA [Student Naval Aviator]), given your eyesight. When I applied, the recruiter said that all the pilot slots were filled for that fiscal year and that I was accepted as an NFO (Naval Flight Officer i.e "Backseat Guy"). I told him I didn't want to be an NFO, I wanted to be a pilot. He then tells me how easy it is to switch from NFO to pilot once you are in Pensacola. "OK," I said, and signed. Notice the wings to the left of this post. Yep, NFO wings. If the recruiter says something like, "Start out as an infantry officer then you can switch," don't buy it. Now, most recruiters are stand-up guys with a thankless job, but you never know. If he is telling you anything that seems a little fishy, come back here with questions.

Good luck to you!

GS-W

AH-1 W
Jeez, Garrett. For someone that doesn't know shit, you are ahead of the curve. Well done.

Don't worry, I didn't know a damn thing about the military when I signed up and had no idea what I was getting into. You'll learn soon enough, I assure you.

One bit of advice, if I may, because this happened to me: If your dream is to fly, then don't sign anything other than a contract that will let you fly. I'm guessing you are looking at pilot (or SNA [Student Naval Aviator]), given your eyesight. When I applied, the recruiter said that all the pilot slots were filled for that fiscal year and that I was accepted as an NFO (Naval Flight Officer i.e "Backseat Guy"). I told him I didn't want to be an NFO, I wanted to be a pilot. He then tells me how easy it is to switch from NFO to pilot once you are in Pensacola. "OK," I said, and signed. Notice the wings to the left of this post. Yep, NFO wings. If the recruiter says something like, "Start out as an infantry officer then you can switch," don't buy it. Now, most recruiters are stand-up guys with a thankless job, but you never know. If he is telling you anything that seems a little fishy, come back here with questions.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! He seems to be a good guy, but then again I dont know much! haha.

I just got my astb results back today. I passed with a 6/6/6. So i have to go in today to sign some papers and stuff. So before I do, I will definitely come back to the experts with lots of questions.

And thank you for clearing the difference between SNA and NFO I was a little confused.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Thanks! He seems to be a good guy, but then again I dont know much! haha.

I just got my astb results back today. I passed with a 6/6/6. So i have to go in today to sign some papers and stuff. So before I do, I will definitely come back to the experts with lots of questions.

And thank you for clearing the difference between SNA and NFO I was a little confused.

You bet, buddy. Here to help. I have no idea what a 6/6/6 means on that test (other than the "Mark of the Beast"), but take a look in the ASTB section of the website and you can find out how competitive that score is.