• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP-- Corpus or P'Cola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Originally posted by jboomer
Of 4 Marines I know that have DOR'ed in the last couple of months, one is going Ground Suppo and another Adj. Can't say that those are prime picks for MOS's on the Fleet side, unless of course you're into that kind of thing (they weren't).
that's why you don't DOR from flight school

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
One, barring special circumstances, if you wash out of jets, you don't go helos. Helos aren't the consolation prize for jet flunkies.

I disagree with the "why move twice" argument, unless you have a family. I wanted to go helos from the beginning. I guess I saw "Apocalypse Now" way too many times and thought that helicopters were completely bad ass. Thank God I was right! Anyway, living for a year-and-a-half in P-cola/Milton can get a little old. Might as well get the change of scenery. Besides, Corpus is a better town in a lot of ways. One, it has the best "low-rider" cars in the world. Two, the Selena statue at the bayfront has to be seen. Honestly, though, it's not as dominated by the Navy, which is a nice change. Also, the weather is a lot better for flying.

Phrogs phorever

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Absolutely Concur with PhrogDriver - Advanced Helos are not a consolation prize for those who attrite from Advanced Jets.... I do know some who started jets but were aeronautically unadaptable (i.e., puked too much) and were given the option of going helos. Also, there might be a difference between attriting out of jets vs requesting a transfer (probably suggested from on high...) out of the jet pipeline to go helos. Like everything else, much depends on how many pilots the Corps needs - right now that number is high.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
jarhead.. so you know of a couple extreme cases were someone was sent to helos.. but that definately cannot be expected and i'm sure they knew someone or pulled some sort of strings... other than that, what did you say that i didn't? the ones that attrited got a decent choice of a ground mos (air intel is still a ground mos) and the ones's that dor'd got the rod.

phrogdriver.. have to completely agree with you, sir. corpus is a much nicer area. sure you have to move, but what is the big deal with that? the movers do it for you anyway.. i actually enjoy moving every six months or so to get a change of scenery. and this town, and its bars, are not completely flooded with military types. it's actually rare to go out and see someone with a high and tight.. and definately have never, ever seen anyone wearing a uniform around town. the city itself it laid out real well with a $hit-ton of great restaurants and bars. the pensacola area looks like it was designed by a monkey with a crayon.. and as far as timing for you guys at tbs.. it works out perfect. i was in alpha last year and got a great summer at the beaches in p'cola.. and about the time i was getting bored with the place, the summer was over, and sammy's and babe's was getting old, and i could no londer stand seville quarter.. i got a nice little move to corpus. the weather is much better here in the winter with the temp about fifteen degrees higher on avg. and when it got cloudy the whole month of jan and feb.. nearly everyone went on det to new mexico.. which i must say was freakin awesome.

anyways, if you want your life to be easy, you're gonna have to move while you're in pensacola regardless.. because if you live close to mainside, you're gonna drive your ass off to get to whiting everyday.. and if you find a place on the northern side of town, you're gonna have a long drive to api and to whiting.. unless you live practically in milton, you're still a long ways away. so, look at it how you want, but i strongly recommend corpus.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
splendid_splinter ... ya know, i read your post wrong (after 10 beers) and you're right, i said nothing that you didn't already say. oops my bad

OK, for the attrition thing ... i know you helos guys are uptight when you think a "jet" pilot is talking bad about Helos and will come in with both 50 Cal's a blazin' ... without editing my previous post, i'll restate what i was trying to say. at least when i was at K-Rock, if a Marine SNA was projected to be Mid-stage marginal in the TS syllabus he was afforded the opportunity to reselect either Helos or Hercs ... if he/she choose to stay with the jet program and WAS infact below mid-stage marginal with grades, he/she was attrited to a ground MOS. if at any point after Mid-Stage and the Marine SNA was attrited, he/she got a ground MOS no questions asked. i recall Ops giving SNA's a "heads up" that they were on the road to being attrited (either due to poor grades, too many downs, etc) and offered them a chance to put in for a transfer to Helos or Hercs, before they were attrited in order to keep them in flight training. things might have changed over the last year or so though with new Ops people & new training philosophies, i don't know, but that is how it worked when i was there. the Navy did it different, you attrite anytime during the Jet training and they got orders to either Helos or Props. i wasn't trying to say "don't worry, if you attrite from Jet's you can always goto Helos" because that's not the case.

a perfect example why not to PWI (post while intoxicated)

as for me, i chose to stay in P'Cola because i didn't want to move to S. Texas (ended up there anyways)

semper fi

Lt_SNA_USMC

"Where did you get 80%?" I got it from an HMX pilot while I was on his bird a few weeks ago. So "Poof!" And Rainman, although maybe only at Primary, knows a lot more than I do at this point. But thanx for "busting-my-balls" and bringing to my attention that he is not Plato. No--I'm not dingy, nor does my neighbor E5B think I am dingy. Did you get all this? You need to make sure you pay close attention. Pull the splinter out of your balls, man. Hey-- do you know an Eric Terhune? He was in your Co last year and is at flight school somewhere now.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
That sounds about right - the PTR for helo students is projected to increase substantially each of the next 2 years (especially the Navy) and we need all of the students we can get. On of the distinct advantages of helos is that they are multi-crewed, thus the newly winged aviators are not expected to be aircraft commanders as soon as they reach the fleet.
One question to those of y'all flying the T-2 and the T-45? What is the climb rate and the thrust to weight ratio? (I am curious to see how my airliner stacks up against them. Thanks)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
if i recall correctly, the T-45's climb rate is around 8000fpm and T/W is around 0.6 to 1.

semper fi

Originally posted by 46Driver
One question to those of y'all flying the T-2 and the T-45? What is the climb rate and the thrust to weight ratio? (I am curious to see how my airliner stacks up against them. Thanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.