• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP! 2 Weeks until PFT!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Alright, thanks guys. It's going to be a stretch at the least, but I don't quit. I appreciate your help.

Oh, I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. (Getting that extra two lbs. down for MEPS :p)

Any other gouges would be quite helpful.

losing some more weight will probably also improve your pullups, as long as you don't starve yourself and lose muscle mass. it's bound to help your run too.

joshmf

It looks like hes not going to ship until this summer. If hes going in June or July, roughly 3-4 months from now, I'd say he has adequate time to prepare as long as he is dilligent and sticks to his routine.

Good point, I guess I was thinking he had two weeks to get in good enough shape for OCS, and from the scores he posted that wasn't likely.

Ok, so if you kick your azz for three months you should be golden. That's how long boot camp is, so if I could go from third class to high first in that time, you can too!

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Focus on your pull-ups and crunches. There is no fast way to greatly improve a run time. Just remember 100 crunches and 20 pull-ups = 200 points. Hell, after that you could take a 28 min stroll and still get a first class score (though I wouldn't suggest doing that). They do like to see high scores to select for the 10 week course but if you don't like your PFT score, run it again. I know I did and improved it by 35 points! There is no limit to how many PFT's you can run before you submit your package. Keep working hard!!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
There is no fast way to greatly improve a run time.quote]

well, there is one thing, but i don't know how it would go over on the pft. run, like it really matters. in cross-country races, it is quite usual for the runners to run until they puke and run some more. in fact, if you don't puke, you probably didn't give it your all. the coaches will even tell you this (those who've done cross-country in school will know what i am talking about!). so imagine you are going to save your mom from a burning building and run until you puke and then run some more. i bet you'll shave a min off of a 28min time! seriously.

Bugsy

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try my best, stay off the fattening stuff like I have been, and eat egg whites and protein shakes so much it'll send the dormitory bathroom janitor into a coronary. ;)

We'll see. When do you think would be the latest I could take it?

I hope my OSO doesn't disown me.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Focus on your pull-ups and crunches. There is no fast way to greatly improve a run time. Just remember 100 crunches and 20 pull-ups = 200 points. Hell, after that you could take a 28 min stroll and still get a first class score (though I wouldn't suggest doing that). They do like to see high scores to select for the 10 week course but if you don't like your PFT score, run it again. I know I did and improved it by 35 points! There is no limit to how many PFT's you can run before you submit your package. Keep working hard!!

Good advice. Best thing to add is make sure you do some sort of physical activity everyday to burn calories. This can be anything from walking an hour on your rest day to playing a friendly game of basketball. If you burn 250 calories a day every day you will lose 1/2lb of bodyfat a week without even altering your diet. That being said 80% of losing weight is in your diet. As to the latest day you can take the PFT, I'd ask your OSO.

mrkoje

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try my best, stay off the fattening stuff like I have been, and eat egg whites and protein shakes so much it'll send the dormitory bathroom janitor into a coronary. ;)

Poor janitor; must be a shitty job! :D

bradler

I appreciate it. My goal is 10pu/100crunch/24:00run

feasible?

Your gaol is feasible but too near sighted... I would say go all out for two weeks... start by doing pull ups any chance you get. What helped me was that I bought a doorway pull up bar and when I walked past it I would do as many as I could. In a few weeks I added 4-5 to a total set. Just get out there and run to but don't do it too much cause you don't want injuries. Good Luck

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
You're OSO will use the first PFT as a baseline. IF you suck, he won't be the happiest guy, but he'll work with what he has and try to get you as strong as possible scorewise by the application deadline. Stay motivated, like you seem to be, and stick to your program. Worst case scenario is you not getting accepted and busting your ass for next year. Good luck-

jakeey426

This might sound stupid to some, but, the best advice ever given to me was "if you want to do more pull-ups, do more push-ups." This is the truth. I upped my push-ups...immediately resulted in an increase in pull-ups. Also, if you are looking to up your push-ups, don't bother with "benching". NOTHING will prepare you for the pushups better than, you guessed it, push-ups. Bench presses are great for your beach/superficial muscles, but do nothing to prepare your body for the PFT. Push-ups force you to work your core, your legs, and your back to stabilize for the proper form. The PFT is about FUNCTIONAL strength, nothing else. We've all seen the meathead that can bench press 400lbs but is unable to do 20 proper push-ups.

Cams1215

watch your portion size with your diet. you can cut a bunch of carbs and go high protien and still end up not losing weight because of high fat content and high calorie content. Also watch out for excess sugars as well. It may sound cliche but balance is definitely the key with your diet.

Hydration is also a big factor. It will help you body repair muscle tissue, but will also help you during PT. You tire much faster when you are even slightly dehydrated.

For the PFT, jakeey and bradler are right. do as many pull ups and push ups as you can, wear your arms, chest and back down, day in and day out. When you cant do pull ups do more push ups. Do 2 sets to failure, and then wait 10-15, and then do some more.

A few days before the PFT you need to dial back your training some and give your body some rest... that doesnt mean dont do anything, that just means pull back the quantity, and go for good form. and do that for a couple of sets. Run at a slower pace for 2 or 2.5 miles, just something to get your legs going and get the blood pumping a little.

Bugsy

I'm 21, plenty of time. I'm going to go all-out for next year, and have a successful time at OCC rather than go right now and have the bare minimums for PLC.

Thanks everyone for you gouge/guidance.