• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos to Fixed Wing

blackbeard

pilot
Helo bub here getting ready to NOM this next round and looking into transitioning back to fixed wing. Seeing if there is anyone who has any advice / experience of transitioning to C-12's/C-26's/VT's and what doors it opens up later on down the road.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Helo bub here getting ready to NOM this next round and looking into transitioning back to fixed wing. Seeing if there is anyone who has any advice / experience of transitioning to C-12's/C-26's/VT's and what doors it opens up later on down the road.
If you choose to transition on the AD side (VFA, VAQ, VP), it’s a big time commitment with the 5 years after FRS. It’ll take you to ~15 years along with whatever career implications there are. Not that transitioners seem that concerned.

TAR would allow you to transition to VR or VT and fly fixed wing in an alternate dimension. Most everyone is at similar timing, so career progression is a new type of normal.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Correct me if I’m wrong, but since you said C-12/C-26/VTs it sounds like you’re about to be in your negotiating window for shore duty, correct? That’s a different beast than “Transitioning” which involves a aviation warfare transition board, and a trip back through flight school, plus added commitment. (5 years as HSMPBR said).

If you’re just trying to get a good deal shore duty, realize that none of those jobs you mentioned are “Top tier” in the eyes of most front offices. Work your hardest to be the best HAC you can be, and then state your desires to your command once you feel the time is right.

As far as what doors it opens up, FTS/TAR and SELRES VTs are avenues that open up to you on the VT side. Station pilot C-12/C-26 mostly closes doors on your career, and is really only a good off-ramp from the Navy, as you can usually snag an ATP during your C-12/C-26 training, and get a decent chunk of Multi engine turbine time, half of which will be PIC. It’s a great deal for your quality of life, however and you’ll likely do a ton of traveling across Japan/Europe/Hawaii etc if you get it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct me if I’m wrong, but since you said C-12/C-26/VTs it sounds like you’re about to be in your negotiating window for shore duty, correct? That’s a different beast than “Transitioning” which involves a aviation warfare transition board, and a trip back through flight school, plus added commitment. (5 years as HSMPBR said).

If you’re just trying to get a good deal shore duty, realize that none of those jobs you mentioned are “Top tier” in the eyes of most front offices. Work your hardest to be the best HAC you can be, and then state your desires to your command once you feel the time is right.

As far as what doors it opens up, FTS/TAR and SELRES VTs are avenues that open up to you on the VT side. Station pilot C-12/C-26 mostly closes doors on your career, and is really only a good off-ramp from the Navy, as you can usually snag an ATP during your C-12/C-26 training, and get a decent chunk of Multi engine turbine time, half of which will be PIC. It’s a great deal for your quality of life, however and you’ll likely do a ton of traveling across Japan/Europe/Hawaii etc if you get it.
I’ll echo what @FLGUY said. Flying non-track jobs may derail your career and you most likely won’t be invited back to fly grey aircraft. But If that’s what you’re looking for, then go in with your eyes wide open. Station C-12/C-26 jobs will get you the hours and certs you need to transition to the majors.

Had a MH-53 buddy of mine take orders to PMRF in Hawaii and he flew the C-26. Got the hours and certs. He’s now retired (non-DH guy) as a LCDR and now flies in the show.

Last edited:

blackbeard

pilot
I’ll echo what @FLGUY said. Flying non-track jobs may derail your career and you most likely won’t be invited back to fly grey aircraft. But If that’s what you’re looking for, then go in with your eyes wide open. Station C-12/C-26 jobs will get you the hours and certs you need to transition to the majors.

Had a MH-53 buddy of mine take orders to PMRF in Hawaii and he flew the C-26. Got the hours and certs. He’s now retired (non-DH guy) as a LCDR and now flies in the show.
Appreciate the responses. I apologize I used poor wording when I said "transition." FLGUY was correct and I will be up for my shore tour orders this next round.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Unless there's been a great sea change in hovering world, non FRS/WTI shore orders will put you one step behind your peers for Command. I had solid FITREPs in VTs and I could've easily gone back as a DH to HSC, but I expect I would've been paired up with an FRS/WTI and been playing from behind that entire tour. Hopefully you're in a position to get your high water FITREP before you submit nom round stuff. If it's the other way, there's a less than zero chance your shore tour fixed wing desires could impact your promotability in the eyes of the front office.

Keeping that in mind, VTs can open more doors than HTs for future flying. I did VTs -> Regionals -> Airlines and it was somewhat painful with COVID but things are tracking great now. Also opens options for reserves/TAR flying.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not to mention Air Guard and AF Reserve....
A lot of helo only dudes (no VT, etc) have been picked up for ANG or AFR. I have a few buds from my helo days flying the -135 now.

Depends on the flavor of the month, but pre-COVID if you were a winged military aviator that had flown in the past 5 years you would get hired. Post COVID has been a bit more competitive.