• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos on a CV

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

A tons of recent publications about future aircraft carriers contains, aside of the common place of short range (which only Yetis probably didn't discuss), one curious question: constant growing of the number of helicopters in standard CVW. Look, in 1966 there were 4 UH-34\HSS1, then in 1973 about 7 Sea Kings, now - about 11-12 60'. Why so? More jobs for helos in CSG?

Max the Mad Russian

Yes. But the construct of the squadrons changed, as well. Not all 12 aircraft from any one squadron will necessarily be on the carrier at a time.

Thanks. So a half is sitting on DDGs, but it is hard to believe that HS CO allowed half of his\her 60' to be based on Burkes' Flight I with no facilities but helipad. Aside, should s\he, being himself on a CV, to assign OIC in every case when his bird based on a small combatant?

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Things that used to be done by FW are now being done by RW hence more RW.
S-3? AFAIK, this aircraft fired first Harpoon (IOC) a year+ before A-6 and roughly from 1984 had been rather ASuW platform. No, I mean something that helos didn't do before. Say, same ASuW with Penguins and Hellfires. May I suppose that Serras remain for all old duties (WERTREP, planeguard etc) while Romeos are more agressive in tactical way which before that had been purely pointy nose ASuW tailhook realm? What about ASW, look, Japanese count that they should have 8+8 (DDs plus 8 ASW helos on them or DDHs) to protect 20-knots transocean conwoy from a single Russian SSN. Yes if they politics were ready to hear "16+16" that will be the case. But some math under these claims exists - and if only 6 ASW 60s are able to protect CSG from this fucking SSN (as former ASW SWO I think two will be enough, by the way, if you really do know how the SSN CO thinks), I suppose Japanese MSDF and USN math are different things...