• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos and the airlines...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
S.O.B. Depends on where you work... But my pay does not suck.. Much better than my Navy pay ever was (And all for only working 2 weeks a month).. With way better QOL.. Cargo has been stable.. Airway flying is boring not painful.. Flying behind the ship at night is painful... Wish we could turn in our uniforms for jean and a polo shirt like the corporate guys personally.. But I suppose I can deal with it... Just my perspective!

plc67

pilot
We have week on, week off schedules if you're a line holder. The pay is more than I thought I'd make, cargo, so far, is much more stable than the SLF side of the house and you're flying pretty much the same equipment as the legacy carriers. Flying the back side of the clock is brutal and I've never really got used to it but it isn't like they hid that from me when I interviewed.
If the Age 60 rule stays there's going to be movement at our carrier, and I would presume the others. I'm one of the last Viet Nam guys at ABX and I go in a little less than two years, so that generation has got 1 plus foot out of the door.
I am fortunate in that I've been here over 20 years and have been a Captain 19 years. But even in the right seat we have guys who, with overtime, are pulling down 200,000.
We've got quite a few ex rotor heads so I sure wouldn't let that stop me from going for it. My Huey time didn't turn many heads when I was applying but it did figure into the total time equation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by plc67 View Post
The Navy/Marine Corps ones I know got their fixed wing hours in the VTs as an IP.

Looks like no airlines for me...

How does 5000 JetRanger hours play on the outside nowadays?

To add on to what Chunks is saying, most helo guys that "get their time in the VTs" are not getting it from the T-34, as that time is pretty worthless, other than PIC time. They go out in town and get their multi and then rack up the minimum hours to get picked up by the regionals on weekends. When several of them do it together, the price comes down significantly since they can share the gas bill.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
But even in the right seat we have guys who, with overtime, are pulling down 200,000.

WOW!!! I had no idea! Hey...I'm still amazed they pay me to do what I am doing...:D

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
What PLC said is pretty spot on with my company.. Cept I will add two things- 1) We actually have a lot of day flying.. 2) Not necessarily gone two weeks a month.. We have Out and Backs (gone from home maybe 8-10 hours tops) Also I personally sit reserve (on call) Gone maybe 5 days a month.. Do get a bunch of Airport Standys (Just sit or sleep at KMEM for 5 hours).. And we get a little more than a month vacation and with another month of sick leave, you can have lots of time off.. But I live in domicile and don't commute.. Those guys any way you slice it are gone at least two weeks a month.. We have guys in the school house that instruct making 325-350K... If you are still curious as to the cash out there go to http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines.html The hourly value is close to yearly pay.. (ie.. $117 hr = $117,000 per yr).. However at my company, based on personal experience, I would say it is a little on the low side... But I do 1-3 trips a month at time and a half (Out & Backs or Standbys only--- Of course). :)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
On more reason/thing to add... We are professional pilots and that is it! No collateral duties.. Zip... Nada... Show up, check In, Get Flight Plan, T/O, Land, go to Hotel or home.. Now there are collateral duties to be found (Check Airman, Instructor, Chief Pilots, etc) but they all come with some serious extra cash... So you can be a lazy line guy like me which is why I left the Navy or a hard charger with a big house.. Choices are beautiful... Good Luck to all!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Now there are collateral duties to be found (Check Airman, Instructor, Chief Pilots, etc) but they all come with some serious extra cash... ....
Hmmmm ... that's news to me .... I spent 25 years @ two airlines off/on as a Check Airman/FAA designee/Instructor and the best I ever saw was a 10% override ... but as I spent most of it on wine, women, and song I really didn't realize any extra cash ... what else are you gonna' do after the sim is over, anyway ... ???

Overall .... the line is the place to be ... not the office .... the guys who make careers in the "office"/Flight Ops/Training Dept are weasels, whimps, ass-kissers, bed-wetters, and usually --- not that great of a pilot, in any case. :eek:

Trust me ....
:)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Here:

LCA/SCAs get 1500 bucks a month extra.. And if they are on narrowbody but could hold widebody then they get paid at widebody rate...

Instructors: Same deal..

LCA/SCA on the panel: Max pay rate of widebody FO plus 900 bucks a month and the senority that comes with not upgrading.. Good money!

Chief Pilots: Same pay rate as highest paying Captain to turn thru domicile.. Serious CASH!

We have some great deals...

Overall .... the line is the place to be ... not the office .... the guys who make careers in the "office"/Flight Ops/Training Dept are weasels, whimps, ass-kissers, bed-wetters, and usually --- not that great of a pilot, in any case.

I agree with this... 100%

plc67

pilot
No shortage of weasels et al on either side of the fence. I must confess, however, that Im a former weasel(Chief Pilot and Flight Standards). I feel compelled to point out that it's been weeks since I've wet my bed and that was after a particularly traumatic episode of Trading Spaces.
As a point of info the pay wasn't even close to what it was for a mid level seniority pilot. So it tended to draw the junior guys, as the senior guys wanted no part of it. That's been 15 years or more so things have probably changed, but being a line pilot is the ideal airline job.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I must confess, however, that Im a former weasel(Chief Pilot and Flight Standards)....

Not so if you stood tall and walked the walk as well as talked the talk ... but then, if so ..... at MOST airlines ... you wouldn't have been the Chief P, would you??? :);)

Tom

pilot
Contributor
On a change of pace, I have heard that in the next 7 years 75% of commercial helicopter pilots are retiring. The possibilities are definitely out there, but then again who would want to leave the military anyway...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
On a change of pace, I have heard that in the next 7 years 75% of commercial helicopter pilots are retiring. The possibilities are definitely out there, but then again who would want to leave the military anyway...
Is that a comment, an interrogative, or ... ????

plc67

pilot
Can't speak to most airlines but I quickly figured out that the title was Chief Pilot but you were neither the chief or a real pilot. It certainly didn't come close to Gann's description of the position but I did learn quite a lot about the administrative side of the house but nothing really about the flying side.
At that time, early 90s, Southwest did it best. According to them you were limited to the office for two years and then went back to the line. You also flew for one week out of the month so you maintained line familiarity.
I don't regret doing it but have never felt the desire to do it again. It seems you spent 90% of your time dealing with 5% of the people. Now where have I heard that before?
I do think a tour in flight standards is not a bad idea. You learn what it takes to select, instruct and evaluate, as well as obtain a deep level of technical knowledge.
Your sentiments about those in the office are quite typical(two of my favorite authors, Rick Drury and Len Morgan, agree with you) so it does not shock me and I would tell the Assistant Chief Pilots to expect that and if they were easily offended or looking for a easy tour of duty this wasn't for them.
All that being said if you love to fly you won't be happy in the office, you need to be on the line.