• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo Interm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valion310

Hi all, just curious where Intermediate and Advanced locations are for helo's? Specifically 60's? I guess the FRS for east and west coast is out at San Diego and ... Norfolk (?) or Jax?

Valion310 -

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You go through Intermediate at your Primary squadron, basically another instrument ground school some sims and then a fun cross country, then you go to South Park (NAS Whiting South Field) for HT training in Advanced.

You would have to ask some of the others where they go through the FRS, I believe 53s are up in Oceana/Norfolk area, and 60s are in San Dog, but I could be completely out to lunch...

antisnook

So, does the Navy not use a lot of 46's, or is it that the 46 communities havent needed many pilots lately?

Jack

Originally posted by Admin
...then a fun cross country,.

Cross country in a T-34C, fun? Oh the misery of droning along at a redline airspeed of something around 200kts....ugh..[xx(]

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Jack
Cross country in a T-34C, fun? Oh the misery of droning along at a redline airspeed of something around 200kts....ugh..[xx(]

LOL, well... if I recall correctly there was an intrepid young NROTC Midshipman that was happy to see me fly that T34 into Gainesville Regional!

Now I have my blistering 250 KIAS, with a "GASP" 325-375 ground speed readout on the GPS! Then again, I am not wearing a helmet, sucking on O2 and can get up eat my meal, walk around the plane, and take a nap in the rack...
icon_smile.gif

-- John

Jack

You are right, It was cool to see you and FiFi come into Gainesville. I'm not cracking on the aircraft, it was a blast, I'm just not sure if I would wan't to go too far on the road with it.

I still remember being impressed with the break that FiFi flew when you guys came in.

Jack

PS, I can have a meal inflight, what do you think ECMO 1 what is for? He's there to stir my hot chocolate and make PB&J sandwiches...[:D]

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, of all the short breaks that IPs did in Primary/Intermediate, FIFI's kicked some serious butt, especially to that short narrow runway at Gville. Oh well, give me a 20 more months or so and I will more than likely be back there as an IP myself doing the same thing!
icon_smile.gif

So Jack, are you playing well with others, letting them make all the radio calls and pickle the weapons?

Jack

Its coming along. I've had three sims with student ECMOs now. All EP sims. It is an entirely different mind set with others in the cockpit, as well you can attest to.

This is meant as no slight or disrespect to the NFO community or training but this is what I've been told by older Prowler drivers and I'm finding it true, just after a few sims:

When an NFO is winged out Pensacola (at least the ones that come this way) they are at the level that we (pilots) were at when we finished T-34s in terms of airmanship. I've found so far that when it comes to decision making/head work things I've had much better ideas as far as what to do, where/when to put it down etc. Another problem is that the NFOs here spend their first six months in the RAG learning the backseat and all associated work.

Radios are the thing that is most frustrating to me right now. We'll be working a simulated malfunction, say a gear issue. We need to obviously coordinate with the controlling agency for airspace to hang out in while we sort out the gremlins. No big deal, just tell them what you want, for how long, and why. ECMO 1 is the one talking on the radios on a standard flight. It is frustrating to hear a disjointed unproductive radio call come from our aircraft. It would be easier for me to just take the radios and work it myself - I know what I want and how to ask for it. Instead I find myself using ECMO 1 as a relay between myself and the controller. Kinda like the childhood game of Telephone.

One last whine, for all of you aspiring aviators there is one piece of gouge as far as talking on the radios that will help you out huge: THINK, KEY, SPEAK.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh joy! I still get to handle the comms, and the NAV/COMM plays with the HFs (shudder) and he/she is welcome to them. It's great to have so many ppl in the tube listening to the comms, when you are listening to multiple radios you might drop one, and you have aft calling you, "Flight, XXX is calling us". CRM at work, as in the C in DAMCLAS. Obviously I retained something from my refresher class today.

Status
Not open for further replies.