• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo Dunker

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I dunno, I never really thought the dunker was that bad. I did the new one going through API.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Man, I liked this website a lot better when the dunker talk amounted to someone asking about how hard the helo dunker is on the API forum and everyone either yelling: "USE THE SEARCH" or "Don't worry about it, it's not that bad."

I just finally got my 1st Class Swim Qual tonight and now I am depressed about having to do pool shit again.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Man, I liked this website a lot better when the dunker talk amounted to someone asking about how hard the helo dunker is on the API forum and everyone either yelling: "USE THE SEARCH" or "Don't worry about it, it's not that bad."

I just finally got my 1st Class Swim Qual tonight and now I am depressed about having to do pool shit again.

First class is a PITA. The instructor I had to drag on the rescues floated about as well as a rock...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's a P-3 thing, but I love me some swim phys, too.

The only crappy part was getting kicked in the face by the copilot, who decided to swim cross cockpit and out MY exit. Blindfolded.

MettGT

pilot

Don't worry, I felt that the API swim stuff wasn't nearly as bad as swim quals at TBS.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I must be young and dumb, but I personally liked the SWET chair. Especially with the Heeds, didn't matter which way they flipped me. You just got to look at it like an adventure, then everything becomes fun:D.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Is it weird that I actualy liked the 9D5? Just wondering. :D I've always been comfy in and around the water.

My first ride was in the dilbert dunker because the helo dunker was busted at the time. That was pretty cool.

Using HEEDS made the helo dunker even easier. Hang out, take a breath, watch a few people get kicked in the face, then slide out.

One thing I learned is, when doing blindfolded rides in the 9D5, just keep your eyes closed.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I still don't understand why they need that to be a requal, talk about something that should be first on the chopping block to save money. I'm having a really shitty day if I have to punch out in the ocean get recovered only to be caught in a helo that goes down (the sheer odds are mind-bottling).

Pags

N/A
pilot
I still don't understand why they need that to be a requal, talk about something that should be first on the chopping block to save money. I'm having a really shitty day if I have to punch out in the ocean get recovered only to be caught in a helo that goes down (the sheer odds are mind-bottling).

A buddy of mine was the simulated survivor for a CSAR event a year or so ago. The rescue helos picked him up and then on the way back to the boat, the helo he was in ended up ditching. Luckily, everyone on board the helo got out. I'm sure the dunker played a huge role in that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_090428-N-3666B-001.jpg

090428-N-3666B-001 JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (April 28, 2009) Capt. Jack Scorby Jr., commanding officer of Naval Air Station Jacksonville, and Cmdr. Susan Jay, director of Aviation Survival Training Center Jacksonville, exit from the new 9D6 Modular Egress Training System after a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the center. (U.S. Air Force photo by Aircrew In-Flight Technician Airman Scott Beach/Released)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Is it weird that I actualy liked the 9D5? Just wondering. :D I've always been comfy in and around the water.

My first ride was in the dilbert dunker because the helo dunker was busted at the time. That was pretty cool.

Using HEEDS made the helo dunker even easier. Hang out, take a breath, watch a few people get kicked in the face, then slide out.

One thing I learned is, when doing blindfolded rides in the 9D5, just keep your eyes closed.

+1...Agreed. Most of you guys sound like babies...the trick to the dunker is to wait for it to stop and then count to 5...by then everyone else is out of the way and you can get out without getting kicked in the face. You aren't underwater for more than 15 seconds. Try holding your breath for 15 seconds right now...same shit. New training with the HABD is cake...

MasterBates

wlawr.. I challenge you to sit in a ditched helo any longer than it takes for violent motion to stop.

If you haven't noticed, they sink like rocks sometimes.

MasterBates

Train like you fight. And I plan on getting my ass out as soon as the water stops rushing in be it a helo or an E-2. I'm not waiting for anything beyond that.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't think that you are going to degrade the quality of the training by learning to relax, think, and calmly exit the aircraft. It's people who rush to get out that get lost, get tangled, and get in the way.