• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I flew EMS from 1996-1998 for a major urban metro trauma center. The equipment, facilities were really first class, as were the aircraft. At the time, /R GPS capability with data card updates every week was state of the art.

The weak link was the pay - PHI owned the contract during my period of employ. My pay was the same as any VFR pilot flying a Bell 206 light single off a near shore oil rig. All costs, including training were micro managed to the point that we got creative with the Hobbes circuit breaker to keep some sort of currency on IFR procedures like setting up and flying an ILS single piloted.

Pay was low, typically $40 K'ish for 14 x 12 hour days per month. You really needed a SELRES flying job or NG on side or have a mil pension. It was a fun job, but unlike The Show, where there is a payoff later in career flying Big Iron, your "at will employment" pay scale topped out in a rather weak fashion.

Now, there is no silver bullet. Here I am, making $150K per year, plus bonus, with awesome medical sitting in a cubicle all day - but I hunger for a cyclic and collective in my hands daily. 4,000 hours and an ATP, I still have a fantasy of going back into the cockpit :)

My next career goal is to find a way to mesh all my IT experience and GE provided world class business training with my passion for aviation and flying - working on that ! It has something to do with buying a surplus Army UH-60A with @mad dog and selling services to Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky LE agencies who need medium lift.

Last edited:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thread jack (of sorts)... Do you have any reference/link for the Ft. Worth job? The last time I went to their police website, it seemed like they only hired from within. Same with most of the larger municipalities in FL. Hernando (which has a pretty robust department, it seems) seems to be intentionally vague on how they hire for the aviation unit.

They hire their observers from within, like pretty much everywhere does. They have two civilian pilots. They had an opening last year. I didn't make the cut on that one. I got my POC for that from JSfirm.com, which is probably the most comprehensive site for helo jobs.

This past year a couple of Florida sheriff's departments, Volusia comes to mind, had openings. The pay was a LOT lower than standard--about $19 an hour in that particular case.

Several California departments had direct accession openings last year, but they had some pretty sick required qualifications, but in terms of specificity (e.g. model) and time (e.g. 500 hours mountain, long-line experience, etc.)

For reference, my starting base pay is $72K, plus overtime. I contribute 10% in lieu of Social Security tax and will get a military-style pension at retirement.

I flew EMS from 1996-1998 for a major urban metro trauma center. The equipment, facilities were really first class, as were the aircraft. At the time, /R GPS capability with data card updates every week was state of the art.

The weak link was the pay - PHI owned the contract during my period of employ. My pay was the same as any VFR pilot flying a Bell 206 light single off a near shore oil rig. All costs, including training were micro managed to the point that we got creative with the Hobbes circuit breaker to keep some sort of currency on IFR procedures like setting up and flying an ILS single piloted.

Pay was low, typically $40 K'ish for 14 x 12 hour days per month. You really needed a SELRES flying job or NG on side or have a mil pension. It was a fun job, but unlike The Show, where there is a payoff later in career flying Big Iron, your "at will employment" pay scale topped out in a rather weak fashion.

Now, there is no silver bullet. Here I am, making $150K per year, plus bonus, with awesome medical sitting in a cubicle all day - but I hunger for a cyclic and collective in my hands daily. 4,000 hours and an ATP, I still have a fantasy of going back into the cockpit :)

My next career goal is to find a way to mesh all my IT experience and GE provided world class business training with my passion for aviation and flying - working on that ! It has something to do with buying a surplus Army UH-60A with @mad dog and selling services to Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky LE agencies who need medium lift.

The going rate last year in EMS was a starting pay at about $60K. After that, you can do better for yourself if you want. A buddy of mine made $110K as an area pilot last year, covering gaps and vacations for pilots over a couple states. That did mean that his 7 days were fully away from home, though.

The way I express it to people is that helo jobs generally start higher than fixed-wing, but top out more quickly. Then again, they tend to be a little more interesting, IMHO.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They hire their observers from within, like pretty much everywhere does. They have two civilian pilots. They had an opening last year. I didn't make the cut on that one. I got my POC for that from JSfirm.com, which is probably the most comprehensive site for helo jobs.

Thanks. I've lurked over there in the past. It seems like helicopter jobs automatically mean they'll be found on a website that appears to have been designed in the late '90's.

The going rate last year in EMS was a starting pay at about $60K. After that, you can do better for yourself if you want. A buddy of mine made $110K as an area pilot last year, covering gaps and vacations for pilots over a couple states. That did mean that his 7 days were fully away from home, though.

A mentor of mine once told me, "If you're a helicopter guy, you just need to plan to be away from home for half the year. You just need to decide if that means sleeping in your own bed when you're done for the day or not." Or something to that effect.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A mentor of mine once told me, "If you're a helicopter guy, you just need to plan to be away from home for half the year. You just need to decide if that means sleeping in your own bed when you're done for the day or not." Or something to that effect.

That is THE big problem with most helo jobs - which leads to AIDS. (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome). Lot of wives really don't like you being gone that much.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...My next career goal is to find a way to mesh all my IT experience and GE provided world class business training with my passion for aviation and flying - working on that! It has something to do with buying a surplus Army UH-60A with @mad dog and selling services to Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky LE agencies who need medium lift.
I'm in! :cool:

Can we have flight attendants [with big racks] who serve us hot cocoa with petite marshmallows? :D

I haven't flown rotors in a while [1992]...I'm trainable...I think. :confused:

How much does a surplus Army UH-60A cost? :eek:

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
$1.3 million
To get operating and keep operating? bwaa haa haa
That is why Hueys bring that much and more. For most all civilian applications they can do everything a Hawk can, but for a lot lower operating cost. You can still get parts for Hueys. Many have civil equivalents. But Blackhawks don't have the level of parts commonality a Huey does. Nor are their hundreds of retired airframes laying around the civilIan market usable for parts.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
To the OP... I struggled with the same decision. I ultimately chose Navy Helos. I've had ups and downs on my tour, and I've had a few flights that scared me and plenty that, when I came home I was impressed with my flying skills. I've flown some awesome missions, mostly training, a few operational. With that said, I'm a product of unfortunate circumstances (hard to explain to a dude in primary, but long story short, when your squadron is getting shut down from congress and you lose a FITREP cycle, things can get tough for you career-wise) and do not expect to make the Navy a career anymore, though I think I'd like to. Now, sometimes, I admit, I regret not choosing to fly P-8s or Jets because I know getting into the airlines will be tough for me. Impossible? Probably not, but tough, and now I have a family that can't afford me to take a 70% pay cut to go to the regional airlines. Don't discount future job opportunities. I often do wonder what it would be like. I don't think I would have liked the P-3/P-8 community from what I've seen, but then again, I've had frustrations with my community too, so, again, all I'd say man is that future opportunities are something to consider.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thread jack (of sorts)... Do you have any reference/link for the Ft. Worth job? The last time I went to their police website, it seemed like they only hired from within. Same with most of the larger municipalities in FL. Hernando (which has a pretty robust department, it seems) seems to be intentionally vague on how they hire for the aviation unit.

Just saw this pop on Vertical Reference....

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
That job had better pay pretty damn well--high hour requirements to get in, and you've got to deploy aboard ship. And you're doing vertrep--ugh.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Life aboard a USNS ship. (as in your own stateroom with your own bathroom, tv and internet) No collateral duties or standing watch. No flying that day?-then sleep til noon. 2 gyms - that are almost always empty. Officer's mess. Ice cream bar - uh, back to the gym. Port calls in the Med and the Pacific. 6 weeks on and then 6 weeks completely off. Training somewhere nice: Stavanger, Paris, Joburg, Durbin. It is tough for married guys, but a dream job for some single guys.