• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Well, I have had my first few events in the actual jet now and lets just say the jet is not the simulator. I was doing really well in the sims and got to the jet thinking it wont be so bad, right up until I took the controls ar 400' AGL and started off on the SID. From then on I never caught up to the jet on the first flight.

For those that dont know, in Jets you start off doing BIs and RIs, so you have 27 events (17 sims and 10 flights) on instruments before you get to look outside.

The rest of BIs got much better and I realize that the jet is actually easier to fly than the sim, but there is so much more going on, trying to talk on the radios and keeping up with the navaids. Coming straight out of the T-34 into the T-45C is a big step in itself, but the instructors here have only delt with Advanced studs with 100 hrs in the T-2, and have a good feel for how talking on the radios go. So they are not used to the T-34 studs who talked on the radios for all of five or six RI flights four or five months ago. Although my head was ready to explode at first it comes very quickly.

For those of you in Primary, to my dismay BIs in the Jet are not the same as BIs in the T-34. The first time in the jet, we did some high work( S-1, S-3, and stalls,etc..) Then shot a High Tacan App, followed by a PAR, followed by an ASR (partial panel). The second flight is just approaches. A high tacan, an ILS, PAR partial panel, ASR and a No Gyro GCA. Your BI check is a High Tacan partial panel, ILS, PAR part. Panel, No Gyro GCA and some high work.

Lets just say this was a lot more than I expected for Basic Instruments. But, at the same time its very doable. Still have some RIs left and then its off to FAMS, probably about two weeks. Thats when the fun stuff comes and we get into the front seat and get to use the HUD.

Not quite as interesting as when Matt used to talk about ACM and stuff but taht will come in due time.

Kraftwerk

Waaassup Ryan!

Had my first go today in the T-2, lived at 5.5 G's the whole hop out in the PNSS moa. Quite a step from the lame duck t-39 routine, and even from t-34's in forms. Yeah, A lot going on. I didn't have to fly much today, but just keeping up on the radios and talking the driver thru every maneuv while at 4G's is tough work. Later!

K

Jeff

Kraftwerk,

is Iron Man(Patches) heading out to San Dog.
I got an email saying he is winging today and going out to So. Cal so I assume he is going to the S-3 Rag... Best of luck to you man, I still have a year before I get to select again.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
How would you rate the way the instructors treat new studs when they are first getting to know the airplane? Is it like primary all over again or are they more chill?

Jeff

Dawgfan

I think I like the stud/IP relationship a lot better here than I did in primary. i just think the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed, although they also seem to expect a lot more out of you. Jack or Matt could probably answer this a little better cause I have only had a few flights.

However, as far as the sim guys go, I think they are a lot better than primary. There are those few guys that you pray you dont get but overall they are much better.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't you just hate the hood Jeff. Trust me, as difficult as it for you to fly all the approaches, it is just as difficult for the IP to "push" you along just to get all the approaches in to one hop. BI's and RI's are extremely busy primarily because the T-45 has no gas.
Most IP's understand the difficult transition from the T-34 to the T-45. The T-2 was a much easier transition. As an IP and a sim instructor, I believe we are a lot more relaxed then what you experience in primary. My biased opinion, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.