• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello, Basic questions about OCS and Navy Health Services Collegiate Program

eDennis

Hello, My name is Dennis.

I'm a 26 year old who is about to graduate with a B.S. in Laboratory Animal Sci. I have a 3.3 G.P.A.

Why am I just now graduating? After HS I worked for 4 years, I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was about 22. Then I decided I wanted to get into Health Care.

I want to get my Masters in Public Health. I never concidered the Navy until recently when a friend of mine suggested I look up OCS.

I do have a few questions:
Bas on this website: http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/medicalservicecorps/healthcareadministration/

I see information on the Navy Health Services Collegiate Program, but
1)Do you have to goto OCS to get into this program?
2)Do you goto a select School to get your Masters, or can you choose?
3)I realize you have to give a year for every year you're in school, minimum of 3 years.
4) Will I be shipped away for this entire 5 years?

PAY:
I have seen the pay charts, but don't fully understand them. If I'm an Officer the starting pay is O-1. However, is it still an O-1 if I have a graduate degree? Where do people with Graduate degrees generally start at?

Also, How do you advance in rank and in pay?

Thank you!

I have gotten some informatino from a local recruiter, but before I sat down and spoke with him, wanted to get a few things covered, that way I won't sound too much like a dumb ass!

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
As a Medical Service Corps (MSC) Officer with a Masters in Public Health you will be commissioned as a LT(jg)/0-2.

1) As far as the HSCP you will attend Officer Indoctrination School (OIS) not OCS. FYI... they may have changed the name of this recently, but its in Rhode Island near OCS but its for Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, and MSC officers.

2) This is for active duty enlisted to officer requirements but will pretty much be the same for HSCP reqs...When you contact a recruiter as specifically for the Medical Officer Recruiter in your area.

"Acceptable master’s programs ideally should be
accredited by the Accrediting Commission on Education for Health
Services Administration (ACEHSA), American Assembly of
Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), or Council on Education
on Public Health (CEPH)."
- OPNAVINST 1420.1A CH-2 28 Apr 04

3) Thats not a question.

4) No you'll probably go to a major hospital for your first tour. Bethesda, MD. Portsmouth, VA. San Diego, CA. Follow on tours with the Marines most likely. Camp Lejeune, NC. Camp Pendelton, CA. Okinawa JAPAN.

PM me with more specific questions if you like.