• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Combat Support Special Squadron

Bevo16

pilot
Getting goggles on students in advanced is a good idea if you ask me. My former phrog pilot IP in HT-18 said it best, "If you are flying at night single engine without goggles in the fleet, you are already in a compound emergency." That is the case for TH-57's on night flights. Sure they are uncomfortable at first, but I would hate to be without them now. Save the goggle flights for the end of the pipeline, but it will be good to get them started.

H60Gunr

Some Aircrew come from HS Squadrons have ample amounts of goggle time. Other members come into the squadron with 0 goggle time and build hours.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HH-60H said:
Man that just sounds scary.

No it just shows how far behind the Navy and Marine Corps are in Undergraduate Helicopter Pilot Training. The Coast Guard for years has been browbeating the Navy for not teaching NVG's as the primary mode for VFR night flying.

The mode of thinking that combat skills and NVG's should be left for the FRS is just plain uninformed.

This is good, the change in mentality. :)

ChuckMK23

pilot
But just think how much fun it is now to be a Helo pipeline stud in the training command !!!

Pretty cool!

I'd give my left nut to be back at HT-18 as an IP.... :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I just checked into HT-18 last week and when we got our helmets they made sure the NVG attachment on them was good. One of the FTIs has a long chapter on NVG flying and I'm pretty sure one of the IPs told us we'd get to fly with them before we leave.

ChuckMK23

pilot
gregsivers said:
I just checked into HT-18 last week and when we got our helmets they made sure the NVG attachment on them was good. One of the FTIs has a long chapter on NVG flying and I'm pretty sure one of the IPs told us we'd get to fly with them before we leave.

But is there NVG flilghts in the MCG?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
are the birds NVG compatible? If not bring some duct tape to cover up the annoying lights. Will you only be flying HLL-(big bright field grade moons)
Are the IPs NVG current? qualified to instruct on NVGs (NSI or the Navy equivalent)?

God what an ORM nightmare, have fun.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Can't tell you any specifics skidkid, I'm still learning the checklists for the CPTs. Not far enough along to know the cool stuff.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
There is a guy at HS10 (RAG cat1) that was reassigned to HCS 4. He has about 6 hrs of goggle time and about 40-45 hrs in the 60f. How about that!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Five 57s are NVG-compatible. Buddy of mine is actually being delayed a month or so so he can go through the NVG syllabus (having already done the replacement syllabus flights). Dunno about IP certification for NVGs, but I seem to recall reading something on here somewhere about how IPs are currently going through the training for the syllabus.