• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing req. SNA

calmNcollect

Hey people,

Just got permanently disqualified today for a pilot slot from Air Force Reserves for hearing. I am h2 for 35db at 500hz, air force limit is 25db. Rest of my hearing is good like 5-10db from 500-6000hz. I googled navy sna requirments and found that I would pass. can anyone confirm?

Sonog

pilot
Can't confirm, but once you figure out the timing of the beeps on the test it gets alot easier. Somehow my hearing has improved since my first flight physical despite the several times I felt my ear drums rattle from pre-flighting an alert 30 in the hole in the middle of a cycle without earplugs. Or all of those times I didn't wear earplugs because comms suck so bad on 25 year old aircraft.

RMP

Looks good to me
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/01_Physical_Standards.pdf
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/06_ENT.pdf

The first link details the physical standards for SNA applicants. The second link takes you to the NAMI waiver guide on hearing loss. It details the standards, what levels of loss are waiverable, and why/why not. A 25db loss from 500-2000hz is the maximum acceptable loss for SNAs, though I personally know of guys who had hearing waived at 30db loss (at the OCS physical).

The standards for MEPS, commissioning, and NAMI are all different, though. You'll likely have to test to the standard until you get to OCS before a waiver becomes an option. Next time you test make sure you get your ears cleaned beforehand and wear earplugs for a solid day right up until you get in the booth for happy button time.

calmNcollect

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/01_Physical_Standards.pdf
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/06_ENT.pdf

The first link details the physical standards for SNA applicants. The second link takes you to the NAMI waiver guide on hearing loss. It details the standards, what levels of loss are waiverable, and why/why not. A 25db loss from 500-2000hz is the maximum acceptable loss for SNAs, though I personally know of guys who had hearing waived at 30db loss (at the OCS physical).

The standards for MEPS, commissioning, and NAMI are all different, though. You'll likely have to test to the standard until you get to OCS before a waiver becomes an option. Next time you test make sure you get your ears cleaned beforehand and wear earplugs for a solid day right up until you get in the booth for happy button time.

IF you look on the first link you sent me, on page 4 and page 5 each have a separate audio chart. Can you tell me what the one on page 4 applies to?

I also read somewhere (trying source) that they measure the first 3 frequency average and as long as the average is under 35db your okay.

calmNcollect

Pg. 4 is class 1 standards, Pg. 5 is SNA standards.

I got that part but on page 1 it says Class 1 includes Naval Aviators and
Student naval aviators.

I guess the page 4 chart is for aviators that are already trained. That's a lot of hearing loss allowed.

Thanks for the links.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Based on the references provided, you may be eligible for commissioning in the Navy based on your degree of hearing loss, but you would need a waiver of standards for aviation, which may or may not be recommended.

A maximum of 35 dB loss at 500 Hz is acceptable for commissioning, provided the other frequencies do not exceed 30 dB on average, and no loss is greater than 35 dB. The letter from BUMED in the ENT section on hearing loss indicates that a greater degree of hearing loss is not waiverable.

The hearing standards are stricter for SNA (25 dB at 500 Hz) than they are for either commissioning or for DNA (designated Naval aviator).

Pure low-frequency hearing loss as you have is unusual, and should be evaluated by an ENT.

R/

Last edited:

calmNcollect

Based on the references provided, you may be eligible for commissioning in the Navy based on your degree of hearing loss, but you would need a waiver of standards for aviation, which may or may not be recommended.

A maximum of 35 dB loss at 500 Hz is acceptable for commissioning, provided the other frequencies do not exceed 30 dB on average, and no loss is greater than 35 dB. The letter from BUMED in the ENT section on hearing loss indicates that a greater degree of hearing loss is not waiverable.

The hearing standards are stricter for SNA (25 dB at 500 Hz) than they are for either commissioning or for DNA (designated Naval aviator).

Pure low-frequency hearing loss as you have is unusual, and should be evaluated by an ENT.

R/

Its actually just a sensinueral dip at 500hz, audiologist call it a cookie bite loss. I have full hearing at 125hz, 250hz and 750hz -8000hz. I got two full audiological workups with ENTS, Drs think I was born with it and just went unnoticed, or sudden hearing loss but not likely as it is only one single frequency. MRI normal, no menieres or autoimmune disease.

Audiogram looks like this, +/- 5db (except 500hz which is for sure 35db)
Right EAR
250hz 0db
500hz 35db
1000hz 20db
2000hz 10db
30000hz 10db
4000hz 15db
5000hz 10db
6000hz 10db

Left EAR
250hz 0db
500hz 0db
1000hz 10db
2000hz 10db
30000hz 10db
4000hz 15db
5000hz 10db
6000hz 10db

Last edited:

TimeBomb

Glad you've already had it worked up.
Might make it on the commissioning front, but not sure about a waiver for flight. Aviation trashes your hearing, and the DoD and DVA are struggling to reduce long-term health care costs.
R/

exNavyOffRec

Talked to recruiter today, said he would send up to n3m for sna/nfo, which then has to go to nami? I'll post the results.

It goes to N3M who makes the initial call for new accession standards, if you don't meet them they will come back and tell you, they also will have a blurb that will say "N3M defers to NAMI on aviation programs" that means later on down the road like at OCS they will exam further.

calmNcollect

Is that like before/during or after ocs? Is it possible they let me go to OCS and then at the end tell me I'm not qualified for aviation and have to switch to non flight job?

calmNcollect

Got it. I assume marines use n3m and nami. With that said, both navy and marines both have equal likelihoods of getting conditions waived for SNA?

TimeBomb

Waivers are approved by the line, not medical. The odds of getting a waiver primarily depend on the downstream demand.
R/