• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Healthcare Options

GubMints

Hey this may be slightly off-topic but I am Tricare Retired Reserve. It has been a bumpy first few months...

First thing I discovered is that much like Fight Club, there is no such thing as Tricare Retired Reserve. What I mean is that when you go in to a clinic you give them your DoD Benefits number and tell the desk clerk to click "Tricare Select" in the drop-down box. The clerk has no option to click 'Tricare Retired Reserve' as an insurance provider. This has lead to all kinds of letters from facilities weeks/months after the fact saying 'you have no insurance' or 'you no longer have Anthem BCBS Insurance'...Yes, I know I no longer have my former employer's insurance. That's why I handed you my Tricare card and watched you type in my information when I visited your Facility.

The second thing I had to figure out on my own is that the letter/TRICARE printed card is worthless. All they want to see is the back of your ID card with the DOD benefits number.... so make sure you and each of your dependents has a current ID card with DOD benefits number printed on the back.

It felt like I was alone in figuring this TRR stuff out- Like I was the first guy running in to the jungle with a machete in his teeth.

...and it turns out I pretty much AM alone.

After doing some research, I found that of approximately 10M Tricare participants nationwide, there are only 11 THOUSAND participants in Tricare Retired Reserve. I suspect the cause of this is the ACA-Obamacare option for Gray-Area retirees... but in my family's case TRR is a lower-cost option than ACA-Obamacare, and WAY less expensive than my former employer's COBRA offer. But 11 Thousand participants nationwide is a tiny number. So tiny that there's no way you can expect a clinic to be familiar with your TRR insurance rules when you walk in.

I can elaborate on TRR further if anyone is interested, or make it a future blog post if anyone wants to follow my journey down the Tricare Retired Reserve rabbit hole.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Hey this may be slightly off-topic but I am Tricare Retired Reserve. It has been a bumpy first few months...

First thing I discovered is that much like Fight Club, there is no such thing as Tricare Retired Reserve. What I mean is that when you go in to a clinic you give them your DoD Benefits number and tell the desk clerk to click "Tricare Select" in the drop-down box. The clerk has no option to click 'Tricare Retired Reserve' as an insurance provider. This has lead to all kinds of letters from facilities weeks/months after the fact saying 'you have no insurance' or 'you no longer have Anthem BCBS Insurance'...Yes, I know I no longer have my former employer's insurance. That's why I handed you my Tricare card and watched you type in my information when I visited your Facility.

The second thing I had to figure out on my own is that the letter/TRICARE printed card is worthless. All they want to see is the back of your ID card with the DOD benefits number.... so make sure you and each of your dependents has a current ID card with DOD benefits number printed on the back.

It felt like I was alone in figuring this TRR stuff out- Like I was the first guy running in to the jungle with a machete in his teeth.

...and it turns out I pretty much AM alone.

After doing some research, I found that of approximately 10M Tricare participants nationwide, there are only 11 THOUSAND participants in Tricare Retired Reserve. I suspect the cause of this is the ACA-Obamacare option for Gray-Area retirees... but in my family's case TRR is a lower-cost option than ACA-Obamacare, and WAY less expensive than my former employer's COBRA offer. But 11 Thousand participants nationwide is a tiny number. So tiny that there's no way you can expect a clinic to be familiar with your TRR insurance rules when you walk in.

I can elaborate on TRR further if anyone is interested, or make it a future blog post if anyone wants to follow my journey down the Tricare Retired Reserve rabbit hole.
I assume you have your 20 years letter but haven’t reached full retirement age? I crossed the “old man” bar and have enjoyed Tricare. It will make a big difference.

GubMints

Griz - Yes I am a 'Gray Area' retiree with my 20-year letter, buying Tricare Retired Reserve as the healthcare program for my family until we get 'real' Tricare if/when I reach age 60.

At present I am semi-retired, working a part-time job with no benefits. TRR fits our needs for HC and I am still learning the TRR ropes.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Griz - Yes I am a 'Gray Area' retiree with my 20-year letter, buying Tricare Retired Reserve as the healthcare program for my family until we get 'real' Tricare if/when I reach age 60.

At present I am semi-retired, working a part-time job with no benefits. TRR fits our needs for HC and I am still learning the TRR ropes.
TRR can be confusing. Personally I don’t think they (TRICARE) take it too seriously.