• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Head throb while running...happen to anyone else?

erinbynight

erinbynight
Well I'm gonna try the hydration and aspirin...and after that I'll see a doc. Thanks for the responses. Sorry been slow in response. I moved into my own place (going to post-grad school) and I can't afford internet, lol.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
how long has it been since your cross country glory days? It doesnt take long for your body to adapt to inactivity. I had a similar problem when I began running again (I thought I would pass out, puke, or both) because I was racing myself. I got shin-splints and took some time to re-coup and started at a slower pace for a mile and a half and increased it gradually over a few months to 3 miles under 23 minutes. Yesterday I did 4 miles around 25 minutes which is a record for me I think. I seem to do alot better now then when I first started. good luck.

usmc96

Tell that to Len Bias. Headaches while running are not normal, and although they're likely not serious, only a physician can make that determination. It would be a shame to "run though it" then run into a serious or dangerous condition.

Brett

Len Bias also had a problem with the nose candy.

go see a doctor before you do coke and jog.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I can see the adds now:

"Ask you doctor about cocaine! Always consult a physician before starting an exercise routine while using cocaine.

(In lab tests cocaine has been shown to cause brain annuerisms, heart attack, heat stroke, panic attacks, insomnia, random acts of violence, paranoia, and frequent run-in's with the police. As always consult a physician before trying cocaine or any stimulant narcotic.)"

erinbynight

erinbynight
Yes, it has been a while since the xcountry days! I remember when I first did cross country, I pushed myself real hard my first practice race with my team. At the end I puked my guts up. Those were the days.

However, I think the hydrating all day is helping a little. I still get really red...but my heads not pulsing that much anymore...haha. Now I think I need special pavement running shoes. Wish I knew of some softer trails nearby.

XeroCool

I am no doctor and dont claim to be only a holder of a Biology degree. That being said I would have to say it is Blood pressure or the fact that it might be high. I would suggest what everyone else has been saying, increased liquids intake while trying to cut down on your salt intake. Are you on any medications that affect the amount of urine? Also when you are running do you flex your core muscles, if so you might need to try relaxing them. Your blood sugar level could also effect this.
X

foniks

Do you eat a lot of salty foods? Anyway, slow down your pace for a couple of weeks and see if you still have the problem.

aro7382

Like already posted. Hydration is the key. If you are training you should be drinking at least a gallon a day if not more in a hot climate. If you have a good diet you shouldn't have to worry about your electrolytes. Pissing clear and often is the indicator of your hydration level.

Trackguy

I ran track at UCLA. The only times i ever had head throbbing was usually when i wasn't breathing right. Try and focus on breathing techniques while running, keeping it relaxed. And definetly hydration.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
The face swelling, the headaches- it used to happen to me, it was hydration. I'm no doctor but I know what worked for me. Drink a lot of water, no sugary stuff in it, just water. You get enough salt in an average American diet, and you most likely eat enough. Also, are you taking a sports suppliments? They can screw your poochie too.