• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Head throb while running...happen to anyone else?

erinbynight

erinbynight
Just wanted to know if anyone has experience this before, or if there is something wrong with me and the way I run! I did cross country in HS for 3 years, so I think my running style is fine. Anyway...after I've been running for awhile...like 15-20 mins depending on how hard the run is, my face gets really really red and my head starts to throb sometimes. I notice it more after i'm done with my run and i'm cooling down. My face remains red for awhile after i'm done working out, so that people ask me if I'm ok! At that point, I usually feel fine, except I look like i'm going to pass out. Ring any bells? lol.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
are you drinking a lot of water all day? how hot is it where you are running? other than that keep running what is the worst that can happen

erinbynight

erinbynight
I'll try to note next time I feel that way what my fluid intake has been. It's about 95 during the day. I usually wait till after 6:30, so it's like 85 then. It's a hot climate...but gotta do it sometime! I don't have any cardiovascular problems that I know of. I usually try to run outside, because I don't care for treadmills very much.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Run through it. The body will adapt. How fast are you pushing it? If you ran CC in high school your pace may be more than your body thinks it is ready for. Get a check up with the doc. How is your breathing?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Run through it. The body will adapt.

Tell that to Len Bias. Headaches while running are not normal, and although they're likely not serious, only a physician can make that determination. It would be a shame to "run though it" then run into a serious or dangerous condition.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The best measure of hydration is the color of your piss. If it's not clear, you're not drinking enough. Drinking just before a run is not enough.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I had the same thing at OCS. I had throbbing in my head and my vision narrowed after runs. It was the new humid and hot climate that caused it for me. The docs there checked my blood pressure to be sure. It wasn't high. They prescribed me some aspirin to take before PT in the morning. I had no problems after that and after I acclimated a little more.

To be sure...consult a doctor.

Semper Fi, Doc

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Bad gouge! Don't run through it unless you know the cause of it.

I think I was misunderstood/poorly made my point. I said to get a check up with the doc if he says your ok then keep running. It's pretty common to have some wierd and uncomfortable sensations when running after a long lay off. If you really want to help yourself go see a sports doctor. All too many times you go see a doctor and tell them your throat is sore or something, only to have them tell you to stop running for 2-3 weeks. There is a difference between something that is uncomfortable and something that is painful. A sports doctor will hopefully be on the same page.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
I'm not going to OCS, but I ran cross country and track all during high school too. I still run about 3 or 4 times a week.. and I get like that as well. I have a combination of things going on though. For one.. my rest time sucks because I have exercise induced asthma and it feels like my heart rate never drops as fast as everyone elses. Another thing that could be a factor, I have a heart murmur. When I get done running, I can feel my heart beating harder because of this. My face turns really really red everytime I run. I could drink tons of water during the day.. exercise on a treadmill inside.. and I'm still cherry red! I don't know what it is.. but I've always been that way. Anyways, I don't think that you turning red is as big an issue.. as the heart beat and the headache. I'd get that checked out.