• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HBO series "The Pacific" preview

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Since this is coming out soon, the History channel has been running 20th Century Battlefield a lot lately. I just watched Midway and Leyte Gulf. Pretty good desription of the battles; I would highly recommend all of our in the Naval services watch these if they have a chance to see our predecessors in some pretty hairy times!!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it is too early to call it good. The characters aren't too developed yet. My first and still developing impression is that it would be a much better book.

Rocketman, put the pic in a photobucket acct and link to it. Problem (pretty much) solved.

yodaears

pilot

jtmedli

pilot
Just saw the first episode on HBO. It's on right now for some reason (thought it wasn't coming out until Wednesday). Very good, but the haircuts were killing me!!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Point very well taken. That said I wasn't talking about hair when I said something caught my eye in one of the scenes.

Okay, I'll take one for the team... What am I missing? Or rather what shouldn't I be seeing?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Left handed bolt. They probably reversed the frame, which is a common film editing technique to get the right composition or whatnot. Drives nitpickers nuts, though.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Just saw the first episode on HBO. It's on right now for some reason (thought it wasn't coming out until Wednesday). Very good, but the haircuts were killing me!!

Really? The fact they don't all have jarheads actually bothers you that much? You do know that ridiculous hairstyle didn't even become popular until the late 40s/early 50s, right?

I guess I just don't see how a high and tight improves your warfighting effectiveness.

jtmedli

pilot
Really? The fact they don't all have jarheads actually bothers you that much? You do know that ridiculous hairstyle didn't even become popular until the late 40s/early 50s, right?

I guess I just don't see how a high and tight improves your warfighting effectiveness.

Ridiculous Hairstyle? Sorry if the Marine Corps high and tight gets you all butt hurt.

To answer your question: Yes, I'm aware. I was being emphatic. The show was very good.

FlyinRock

Well, as one who grew up at MCRD SDiego in the 40's, they still wore white socks, ankle high shoes, pith helmets, and didn't have high and tight haircuts. But, TOUGH? Yes they were and full of American Pride and willing to go do whatever it took to defend our way of life.
Too bad that seems to have fallen into disfavor.
I watched the first show twice and wonder if the profanity will turn off some of the more sensitive. My wife doesn't like our young son to hear it but I'm sure he will be up to the task. His Daddy was a Marine DI back in the day of "The Old Corps" in the 50's. Sid Phillips is a delight to chat with and I had the opportunity to do so years back. The clips of him on TV are as true to life as you can imagine.
I keep my head shaved just because its easier/cheaper than going to a barber and it doesn't look much different than it did 60 years ago.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Yankee Uniform Tango
You can watch the first episode here if you don't have HBO:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/epis...s/0/01-part-1/video/part-1-full-episode.html/

I thought the episode was pretty decent and I'm really glad they're being very un-PC. I think show's failing (so far) is the immense amount of information that they're trying to squeeze in an hour long show. The pacing is very rushed, and we're just flying through almost a year's worth of stuff that happened in three different people's lives. I really don't think 10 episodes will be enough to give all the characters/events justice, but it's too early to tell.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

How much time have you spent in the jungle dude? How many days have you gone without a shower? Ever had lice?

Yoda's pics clearly show the difference in grooming standards from then to now but my guess is a lot of guys still hit the beach with fresh haircuts. I think high and tight's look silly in garrison too. That said, very short hair may have a place when personal hygiene is an issue.