• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawaii and NROTC

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Wild speculation: UH's academics are not considered rigorous enough?

(Because really, they're not. People go to Hawaii to vacation, not to study.)

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
The NROTC Program predates Hawaii statehood by a few years. Most (although not all) NROTC schools have long histories at their host schools and my personal thought is that Hawaii just came around too late. It might change later, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Right now I know the CNO is targeting traditional minority schools for new NROTC units in the near future.

dirtydog

Wild speculation: UH's academics are not considered rigorous enough?

(Because really, they're not. People go to Hawaii to vacation, not to study.)

There is a HUGE range of academic rigor among NROTC units (e.g. Harvard and SDSU) . This is definitely not it.

I would write a letter to RADM Sharpe and ask, honestly, because I have no idea otherwise.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a HUGE range of academic rigor among NROTC units (e.g. Harvard and SDSU).
What makes you think that the academics at Harvard are more rigorous than at SDSU or elsewhere for that matter? Just curious.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What makes you think that the academics at Harvard are more rigorous than at SDSU or elsewhere for that matter? Just curious.

The hardest grade to make in the Ivy League is getting in. Everything after that is, essentially, makey worky toward a diploma. There's actually been a formal attempt at some schools (Princeton, mainly) to limit A's to less than 35% of the grades given.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/10/05/doesnt_anybody_get_a_c_anymore/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/2002/02/08/edtwof2.htm

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

That's a good question. Harvard and Princeton went through some grade inflation scrutany a couple years back if I recall right. Seems every school has their problems with something like academic rigor at some point.

My friend's at Carnegie Mellon, and he's told me they have a nice setup there where you pay them money and they give you a degree. :)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
There is a HUGE range of academic rigor among NROTC units (e.g. Harvard and SDSU) . This is definitely not it.

IDK. There may be an acceptable envelope, say, MIT to SDSU and UH falls just outside.

They never seem to have class (I think the only people who go less are the public school elementary kids here, but that's a whole nudda can o worms) and it's one of the only schools where you can major in "Windsurfing".

Hey, maybe it's just that the Navy doesn't need any more windsurfers?;)

NUFO06

None
I found out the UH approved a NROTC program with 50,000 dollar budget for space in 2002 http://www.hawaii.edu/uhmfs/documents/resolutions/20021016_reso_NROTC.html
but the Navy has yet to take action.

The Navy has been cutting Manpower every year and the College Program has all but dissappeared so maybe the Units they already have need all the people they can get, so adding another ROTC program would mean spreading out the scholarships among more schools.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I found out the UH approved a NROTC program with 50,000 dollar budget for space in 2002 http://www.hawaii.edu/uhmfs/documents/resolutions/20021016_reso_NROTC.html
but the Navy has yet to take action.

The Navy has been cutting Manpower every year and the College Program has all but dissappeared so maybe the Units they already have need all the people they can get, so adding another ROTC program would mean spreading out the scholarships among more schools.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they got that many people who would be interested. I would doubt too many locals would apply and HI is "so far away" and expensive for an out of state college student that people from the mainland might say they'd be interested, but wouldn't end up actually coming out.

Just my perception.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Honestly, I'd be surprised if they got that many people who would be interested....
The 'academic community' is what it is ... and it's usually fucked. And a LOT of 'it' has its roots in left-wing Mainland communities dating back to the '60s ...

BUT: for whatever it's worth ... most of the LOCAL 'Mokes are very, very patriotic and pro-USA ...

They've proved it over and over during the past 100+ years .... I'd stand up w/ most of 'em anyday, anyway ...

And after 9/11 ???

Every time I was on the freeways and going under an overpass ... some Moke/Brudda-IZ look-alike was standing on the walkway of the overpass ...

... and waving the Stars & Stripes.

I love Hawai'i ... and all my Bruddah's .... always have, always will ... :)

3mokes.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The 'academic community' is what it is ... and it's usually fucked. And a LOT of 'it' has its roots in left-wing Mainland communities dating back to the '60s ...

BUT: for whatever it's worth ... most of the LOCAL 'Mokes are very, very patriotic and pro-USA ...

They've proved it over and over during the past 100+ years .... I'd stand up w/ most of 'em anyday, anyway ...

And after 9/11 ???

Every time I was on the freeways and going under an overpass ... some Moke/Brudda-IZ look-alike was standing on the walkway of the overpass ...

... and waving the Stars & Stripes.

I love Hawai'i ... and all my Bruddah's .... always have, always will ... :)

Yeah, my comment wasn't an indictment on their patriotism. I agree, most people I ran into were friendly towards military (even if not towards Haoles in general). I just meant the secondary education system is pretty poor there so it might not lend itself well to many people being interested or even being accepted into the program. Again, that's my anecdotal perception. There's obviously exceptions. There were two guys in my first squadron from Hawaii, one a bruddah and one a Haole.