• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Have some Questions..(Marine Aviators)

eboggs

Hello Marines and other Service members.

I have a couple of questions im not 100% sure on, I have searched this board for the last couple of days, and figured its about time I just ask specifically what I want to know. Please bear with me.

I am a freshman in college, and am currently in the process of applying for the PLC program. (application is submitted, waiting for me to take the ASVAB..took the practice..got a 69, boy was that embarrassing and depressing...Any way, aside from studying Math..extensively as thats my worst subject. I am in good physical shape. run time may not be the greatest but everything else is perfect..So as you can tell, i want to become a Marine Officer.

I WANT TO FLY...

Im sure that doesnt suprise anyone here, but I get emotional when i say that! :eek: Ive only flown once.. in a bi plane. It was, it felt right for me, like its what i need to do, what i WANT to do...(please dont laugh, i know it sounds silly) I just cant explain the feeling, and just seeing jets fly by, the power, and responsibility. Its overwhelming.

There are two things i see possibly standing in the way of my dream.

First, I have Astigmatism.. Now, I dont fully understand this, you can fly if your eyes can be corrected to 20/20? I believe my contacts do do this, but, what about laser surgury? Does this happen in the Marines or should i do this before? I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Second, I know Initiative and passion arent enough to get what you want, Im not stupid...but im no genius. I hear the ASTB? Is really difficult, But i did see a post (Sticky)? here that had some good refferals. Most of the links there were dead though.

Third (maybe?) My OSO told me its best to go in on a "Ground" contract, then take the ASTB? sometime between my 3 other years of college as you get three attempts. Then, if you pass, they switch you to "Air" contract. Does this sound right?

Thank you for your time, and service!

Ethan

bob88899

DO NOT go on a ground contract if you want to get an air contract... big mistake!(unless you dont mind some ground pounding). i dont think you can fly with contacts... if you want to fly your going to have to look into prk... see if thats right for you and if they can get your eyes within correctable limits... if it is.. make sure you you understand the waiver process... as you will have to get one for prk.

eboggs

I ll be taking the ASVAB because during high school I was in the DEP and then decided i wanted to become an officer and opted out to go to college (I never took my ACT or SAT's) and try and become an Aviator.

So the whole go "ground" until you pass the ASBT then youll be "air" is bogus?

Thanks guys.

bob88899

ya.. i would just study for astb for a good bit... then take it and get on an air contract if that what you really want.. my advice is to simply NOT go on a ground contract unless ground is what you want to do...

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
You can start initially on a ground contract and switch over to an air slot. That's the road I took, however that was several years ago and the availability of air slots can vary from year to year. I suggest trying to get the air contract, but if you are struggling on the ASTB initially (or the whole vision thing doesn't work out), and really want to be a Marine, go Ground. Just be cautious that if you do get a ground spot, it is entirely possible that you might not the the switch to aviation. Best of luck, and I'll let guys with more recent experience with the process fill you in on all the up to date gouge.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ll be taking the ASVAB because during high school I was in the DEP...

So they are telling you to take it because of that? Why not go directly to ASTB? They aren't trying to convince you to enlist to better your chances, are they?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I would try to avoid getting a Ground contract if your goal is to fly. In my TBS company there were about a dozen competing for two air slots if I recall correctly. It is possible, but it's by no means a sure thing. Talk to your OSO and ask him exactly what his idea is as far as how you would switch to an Air contract.

Raptor2216

So they are telling you to take it because of that? Why not go directly to ASTB? They aren't trying to convince you to enlist to better your chances, are they?

If you haven't taken the SAT or ACT, you have to take the ASVAB. I took it because I did a couple years at a CC and never had to take the SAT.

Yankee Uniform Tango
If you haven't taken the SAT or ACT, you have to take the ASVAB. I took it cuz i did a couple years at a CC and never had to take the SAT.

Yup. I almost had to the ASVAB because my High School couldn't find my SAT scores...luckily they faxed them over a day before I was supposed to take that stupid test.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
First, I have Astigmatism.. Now, I dont fully understand this, you can fly if your eyes can be corrected to 20/20? I believe my contacts do do this, but, what about laser surgury? Does this happen in the Marines or should i do this before? I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe astigmatism is a no go for LASIK and PRK. You can still go NFO, but search around here and you'll find Marine NFO's have an expiration date (exactly when is still not set in stone though...) If you can get surgery, getting it before you sign up is a must if you want the air contract now. Go to:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...cuments/Waiver Guide - Physical Standards.pdf

to see all the requirements.

Second, I know Initiative and passion arent enough to get what you want, Im not stupid...but im no genius. I hear the ASTB? Is really difficult, But i did see a post (Sticky)? here that had some good refferals. Most of the links there were dead though.

If you don't have ACT or SAT scores you need the ASVAB. To go air you need the ASTB as well, which is more math/physics based that the ASVAB, but not much. Lost of practice stuff on the net if you google it, and look around this site, not sure where it is, but I know there is good stuff hear you can use to practice.

Third (maybe?) My OSO told me its best to go in on a "Ground" contract, then take the ASTB? sometime between my 3 other years of college as you get three attempts. Then, if you pass, they switch you to "Air" contract. Does this sound right?

If you want Air, go Air, don't sign anything that says Ground. If you want to be a Marine Officer, sign up and go in knowing you will do what the Marine Corps needs you to do.

S/F
Pyle

arianjalali

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe astigmatism is a no go for LASIK and PRK.

Scanned through the NOMI waiver guide and came up with this for SNA's:
"Astigmatism can be no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format."

I can also tell you that I had an evaluation for laser eye surgery eligibility in early November and I was cleared by a civilian opthamologist to undergo the PRK procedure. It really just comes down to the severity of your astigmatism. I have only ever had a slight deformity in the structure of my right eye though (luckily it falls under -1.00 diopters). If it is too severe, then the doctors will tell you that you are not a candidate for the procedure. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you!