• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has the news hit an all time low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

I am amazed that this even got published (not what the story is about, but how it's written). It is so horribly written I can't help but laugh at the writer and how much of a fool he just made himself out to be.

New York, NY — A helicopter crashed into the water off the West Side Heliport in lower Manhattan, New York, New York.

The helicopter went into the water off Pier 11 in Lower Manhattan just before 1:30 p.m. According to officials, as many as seven people were recused from the water. They were taken to shore.

It was known if the helicopter was taken off or landing at the time of the crash.

The helicopter is now upside down in the East River, and NYPD units are attempting to keep it afloat.

The Downtown Manhattan/Wall Street Heliport is owned by the Port Authority Of New York & New Jersey. The paved runway extends for 62 feet. The facility is at an elevation of 7 feet at a distance of about 3 miles from New York.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/061405_nw_helicopter_crash.html

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
Wow, it looks like English isn't the first language of whoever wrote that.

shortncurly

It drives me crazy... there are tons of people who would give their eye teeth to write for a living (myself included) and don't get the chance -- yet morons like the author of this article do. Poor writing skills are apparently reaching epidemic proportions in print media today -- for proof, see any page of the Pensacola News Journal.

That aside, I'm glad no one was lost in the crash.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
shortncurly said:
... there are tons of people who would give their eye teeth to write for a living

Is this a journalist term? Seriously, I have noticed a definite lack in proofreading before publishing lately. I keep the Virginian-Pilot online as a homepage, and peruse their reports periodically. Most have a couple spelling and grammatical errors at a minimum. I'm not sure what can be blamed for this lack in quality, it seems journalism was of a higher caliber before the introduction of word processors, spell check, et cetera......

Cheers,
-Paul

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
junfan26 said:
Thank heavens all the passengers were recused...

Because God forbid they should be suspected of having a conflict of interest. :D

Glad to hear everyone is all right, but I would say that the general decline in English grammar seems to be something I run into everywhere, including the media. I think the more salient issue is what the media reports rather than their grammar, though. Exhibit A is the front page of every newpaper in the country today. Who cares?

DairyCreamer

Cordespc said:
Is this a journalist term? Seriously, I have noticed a definite lack in proofreading before publishing lately. I keep the Virginian-Pilot online as a homepage, and peruse their reports periodically. Most have a couple spelling and grammatical errors at a minimum. I'm not sure what can be blamed for this lack in quality, it seems journalism was of a higher caliber before the introduction of word processors, spell check, et cetera......

Cheers,
-Paul

Personally, I think journalism was of a higher caliber before CNN and The Enquirer. But that's just me :)

~Nate

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ajax said:
btw what's "eye teeth"
EyeOrTeeth_lg.jpg

shortncurly

It's just a saying... you know, like "I'd give my right arm for that..." or "Most guys would give their left nut for a chance to..." Means you REALLY REALLY want something.

Eye teeth = incisors.

Sorry, I'll just fade into the background again... by the way, that picture is freaky.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
HAL.. now how do you just pull something like that out of nowhere? I would have never come across that picture in my everyday life.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
RevnR6 said:
HAL.. now how do you just pull something like that out of nowhere? I would have never come across that picture in my everyday life.

google image search

Status
Not open for further replies.