• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone quit a job for OCS?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was slaving away in cubicle hell before I got picked up. Anything beats inane elevator conversation and phrases like "happy Monday!"

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Companies that offer signing bonuses, relocation assistance, or other up-front benefits will almost always have a clause in the job offer that you must work for them for a minimum amount of time or be obligated to repay the value received if you leave early. Keep an eye out for that if you decide to take a different job in the meantime.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Sure you can. Plenty others have done it, and I applied when I was a full-time engineering student.

It just would have taken longer. ANYthing is possible if you want it badly enough.
Sure you can still do it. It's the time issue I have. I am on a very tight timeline and cannot afford the time it would take if I were to continue working full-time. it's because I want it so badly that's why I made the decision to make applying for OCS my full-time gig including gettin into shape. Luckily, I made a alot of money at my previous job enough so that i don't have to work. Even then, I am still behind the deadline and getting closer to the cut-off. Like I said before, it depends on your personal situation.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Companies that offer signing bonuses, relocation assistance, or other up-front benefits will almost always have a clause in the job offer that you must work for them for a minimum amount of time or be obligated to repay the value received if you leave early. Keep an eye out for that if you decide to take a different job in the meantime.
Huh? Okay...

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Huh? Okay...

I'm referring to 'white-collar' degree-holding professional career type jobs, the kind that would pay to move a new-hire cross country. I just assumed that's what he was considering applying for as alternates since he's also app'ing OCS, and therefore a degree-holder. If that's not the case, my info is moot and should be disregarded. :icon_tong

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm referring to 'white-color' degree-holding professional career type jobs, the kind that would pay to move a new-hire cross country. I just assumed that's what he was considering applying for as alternates since he's also app'ing OCS, and therefore a degree-holder. If that's not the case, my info is moot and should be disregarded.
A college degree doesn't guaruntee a "white-collar professional career type jobs." Most college degree holders are actually doing jobs that a high school dropout could perform and making about just as much.

I'm referring to 'white-color' degree-holding professional career type jobs, the kind that would pay to move a new-hire cross country. I just assumed that's what he was considering applying for as alternates since he's also app'ing OCS, and therefore a degree-holder. If that's not the case, my info is moot and should be disregarded. :icon_tong

You're right. I have a degree in finance. I really need the $$$ since I only have $7 to my name. lol there are bums with less money.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
The first job I got after I got my degree was manager on the night shift at Blockbuster. I did that till I found a gig doing video conference monkey work and then worked both gigs for another 14 months to get myself in a good position financially. After that I finally found a "white-collar degree holding professional career type job" a full two and a half years after graduating and the economy was better then too.
My point is, you aren't going to find a civilian job that will give you a signing bonus relo package or any bonus for that matter. If you're that hurting for cash get a gig that will get you hours and still be flexible to work around you training for OCS. A bit of advice:
images

Seriously, get a gig you can throw away when you need to. No one said you need to either have a white-collar job or join the military.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
i had a decent paying career job working in military simulation in the civil service :)

did that all through college and for a year after college before finally getting selected for OCS as a SNA. took a pay hit but this is honestly the best job in the world thus far, every time i land i can't believe they're paying me to do this.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Young Gents,

I know I've said this in previous posts but I'll try and put it in a different way.

So- you think you are going to cause irreperable harm to an employer if you leave on short notice right? In fact, more negative effect if you leave soon after you arrive right? OK, that in itself is a good thing because you now realize you DO have an effect on others. But at the same time you also need to look at this reality from the other side. i.e. if you leave on short notice- Will the company tumble into the abyss? If you leave -will they have to declare Chapter 11? Likely not. In fact they will likely have other, dare I say, "candidates" in place to fill the potentially open requirements?

I assure you that if you leave a CIVPAC job on very short notice, you are not going to be the first, nor the last person to leave under these circumstances (THIS FISCAL YEAR!). In fact, I dare say that if you bail on short notice- you are likely to be viewed as the one who takes "your life" more seriously than your peers. That said- Unless you are definitely going back to this "original employer" after a DOR or NPQ, just leave now and statistically no one will ever remember you a couple years from now anyway. People bail on good jobs for any number of reasons and in the case of AOCS/OCS you are likely going to be one of the few folks that the employer will actually admire for leaving early and choosing the path of most resistance when your remaining peers will statistically choose the path of least resistance, i.e. stay when the situation might not be the best fit.

Clear as mud? Call me/PM me and I'll clarify.

When you are young and conscientious, (which you should be) you naturally have the tendancy to believe that you are not expendable. The reality is that you ARE most likely expendable. Say you go with a Fortune 50 company with impeccable credentials- I assure you that you ARE VERY expendable, no matter how good you truly are. Don't sweat it. Take the best job you can get at the time. Upon acceptance to a commisioning source- explain why you are leaving to attend AOCS/OCS. Odds are that they will likley be VERY open and encouraging to your decision. If they aren't open to your choice- you now know that this was a company that you likely shouldn't have been working for in the first place.

I work for a Fortune 100 company in the transportation sector and I assure that if I bailed here at 20 yrs- no one would bat an eye other than the central couple dozen folks or so that I work with on a daily basis. In fact, if you look at the retirement package offerered to the youger group here- you would certainly agree that UPS is trying to attrite us old fogies for the just out of college types and just keep them for 5 or 7 years. If I experienced the same typical USGov bureacratic crapola here that I've now experienced- -say 10 years ago- I would have been gone in a heartbeat. The writing is on the walls folks. It's been here for a while and it's not going away anytime soon. Today is a very different labor philosophical/climate than that of say 10 years ago, let alone 20 or 30 years ago. Portfolio retirement is a reality and the lifelong pension jobs are shrinking day by day. Look out for yourself- the NAVY AND private employers mean well but the bottom line is that you are responsible for your own future and No One else.

Remember our previous company mantra "We Run the Tightest Ship in the Shipping Business"? Well now its all about who can manufacture the best numbers on paper. Not the best sales performers- but the best perfomers on paper. Very sad to see it but it's a factual reality. Sad to see it evolve this way but so many of my customers are going via the same way. It's definitely a national trend.

I apologize for the length of my post, but the thread itself and subsequent posts could lead our finest young folks into a false sense of guilt for leaving a CIVI job prior to OCS. Yes- It IS a higher calling. If you don't believe it now, you will believe it when your sailors look at you for leadership in the fleet.

End of transmission- Seek further guidance via PM or Alpha Bravo(administrators). Rant Off.

I apologize for the length of my post, but the thread itself and subsequent posts could lead our finest young folks into a false sense of guilt for leaving a CIVI job prior to OCS. Yes- It IS a higher calling. If you don't believe it now, you will believe it when your sailors look at you for leadership in the fleet.

CAMike, thanks for that. Clear as mud,lol. I appreciate your honest feedback and I'm glad you put it in such blunt terms.

Nikki2184

I was working as a DoD civilian in the services squadron prior to OCS. When my CO (my boss's boss's boss!) found out I was leaving to go to OCS, he came to my going-away, made a speach (told me I was joining the wrong service, as he was air force) but was very proud and pleased. Even got a commander's coin. Guess it just depends on the employer and their level of understanding. I got lucky...
Also, between the first application I submitted and the day I actually left for OCS, was about 3 years. You never really know how long the process is going to take. My suggestion is work, pay bills, quit as soon as you have an OCS date and live it up until you leave. Just my humble opinion...

Bolter

pilot
I was working for a govt/ military contractor in DC when I was in the application process for Marine OCS. I was open with them about it and they were very supportive with my decision to serve. When I found out that I got accepted, everyone was cool with me working there as long as I wanted to up until my ship date. The moral of this story... be open and honest with your potential employer and they will most likely support you in your journey to become and officer. In the meantime, pay dem billz--- CO's don't like their officers to be in debt!

schwarti

Contributor
I had to quit my job... my boss was very supportive. Of course, I worked at an ex-Navy base turned national park, and I kicked ass while I was there, and he knew WELL in advance when I would be going, so ymmv.

Lobster

unemployment does have its perks...like not having to work

I'm sure you could find something easy to do around philly just to rake in a paycheck that wouldn't be a huge deal if you left, go tend bar or work the door at some of the clubs on south street or give the flyers, eagles, or sixers a call, they are getting fired up for the season and usually are looking for people to work during games with their operations staff or to PR for them. You could always go down to Geno's and make some cheese steaks ;)