• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone here ever been denied for the BDCP?

rickthebrowning

Pretty self-explanatory. If you were denied, what were the reasons if any? I'm still waiting on a response from my recruiter to get the application process started. So if there are any tidbits you could throw my way I'd appreciate it.

nugget61

pilot
Like Tiz said, the application for BDCP is almost the exact same as the direct commission application. You'll go to the boards just like the direct slots (however you'll be looked at for a different pool of available slots). If you are rejected for either they won't tell you why, however your OR can give you pointers as to why your specific package may be weak ie low ASTB scores, poor grades, little involvemnt in your school/community. And all of that can be fixed and then you can reapply for BDCP at a later date (I think the wait is 3 months after you're rejected to reapply for the same position, however if you swap from BDCP to a direct slot you can reapply the next month)

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I was non select in July 08 for BDCP SNA. w/ 3.16 transfering for aerospace:pilot ASTB 50 6/7/6. It is my understanding that you have to wait 6 months to reapply after a non select, or a significant contribution to your application. I think the only things that apply to this is increase in GPA or ASTB. or you can do it the next month for straight ocs.

I'm now up for the Feb. board BDCP SNA. didnt transfer for avaition, so 3.32 Finance, ASTB 65 8/7/7 instrument pilot and lots of school/community involvement.

As far as the process, there is plenty of threads and gouges on here. I think "Tom" had a really good gauge, just search. Baasically once all the paper work is done, your OR emails the whole application to the board before the end of the prior month. The board meets around the 15th, but not on weekends or holidays. You'll here something in between a week or 2+ weeks after that. Never the same amount of time and just a pro req select or a non select answer.

rickthebrowning

Right on, thanks a lot. I suppose I was mainly just looking for people who have done something that ended up causing their denial so that I could make of note of it. But I appreciate the information regardless.

Good luck, I hope they accept you.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
They won't give you a reason for denial. Honestly, don't even think of it.

Best advice I can give (and I know this isn't what you are asking about, just a general shout out to others applying) is to expect rejection, and always think of a way to improve your package.... Maybe retake the ASTB, improve your GPA, get some flight time, join a club or organization, take a leadership role, volunteer for something challenging, anything...

Don't look back if they say no... Don't even give a sh*t or look down on yourself, just look to the future... "How can I make my package better?"

Don't take no for an answer. If you want it bad enough, you will get it; so long as you DON'T give up.

I had to apply 4 times before they finally gave me my flight slot.

Lobster

Ah, I see. Could you elaborate on what happens when you go to the boards?

It’s somewhat like a meeting of the Jedi council, they deliberate on whether or not a young one should be trained to become one of them...;)

Jedi_council_1.jpg

rickthebrowning

They won't give you a reason for denial. Honestly, don't even think of it.

Best advice I can give (and I know this isn't what you are asking about, just a general shout out to others applying) is to expect rejection, and always think of a way to improve your package.... Maybe retake the ASTB, improve your GPA, get some flight time, join a club or organization, take a leadership role, volunteer for something challenging, anything...

Don't look back if they say no... Don't even give a sh*t or look down on yourself, just look to the future... "How can I make my package better?"

Don't take no for an answer. If you want it bad enough, you will get it; so long as you DON'T give up.

I had to apply 4 times before they finally gave me my flight slot.

Don't get me wrong, I always have the mentality of "expect the worst, hope for the best." It definitely helps. I also didn't plan on this just being a one time thing either. If I am denied, I'll reapply promptly once the waiting time is up to show them I truly want this. I understand there might be someone more qualified than me (though I am prior enlisted so I doubt they are that much more qualified for me), but I'm not going to give up. I'd rather them be sick and tired of seeing my apply every quarter as opposed to not even knowing who I am.

Again, thanks for the words of wisdom.

It’s somewhat like a meeting of the Jedi council, they deliberate on whether or not a young one should be trained to become one of them...;)

Jedi_council_1.jpg

:icon_lol: Excellent.