• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone ever worked for the FAA?

phrogpilot73

As I get closer and closer to getting out, and my thoughts (and web searches) turn more and more towards jobs out in the "real world", I've found myself intrigued by a couple of the jobs at the FAA in D.C. Just curious if anyone on here has worked for the FAA, and if so, what's it like?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Question from ignorance and curiosity....are they flying jobs or admin type stuff? I know what the FAA does...but have no idea what they do...:D

plc67

pilot
If no one here can help I'd go over to aviation communications and airline pilot central forums, I think I got them right, and post. Youl'll get the obligatory what's wrong with you and why do you want to work for the feds non answers but you'll probably get some valid guidance from those who are, have been, or are in the process of becoming FAA types. Usajobs has current vacancies. It takes awhile to get active in the system I hear so I'd get on it. I'm considering it myself after I retire and if I can't get on flying the heavy iron for a foreign carrier.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
If no one here can help I'd go over to aviation communications and airline pilot central forums, I think I got them right, and post. Youl'll get the obligatory what's wrong with you and why do you want to work for the feds non answers but you'll probably get some valid guidance from those who are, have been, or are in the process of becoming FAA types. Usajobs has current vacancies. It takes awhile to get active in the system I hear so I'd get on it. I'm considering it myself after I retire and if I can't get on flying the heavy iron for a foreign carrier.

Have you looked into Emirates Air? My friend's father got a great offer from them. He didn't end up accepting it because his wife didn't want to live in Dubai, but it sounded like a pretty sweet deal.

phrogpilot73

Thanks for the advice, I had never heard of those forums before. I realized that I'm a low time helo pilot, and trying to follow around a Navy wife and get my foot in the civilian helo door is going to be difficult at best. I hadn't seen any openings on USAjobs, but I saw them on the FAA's website. Just curious, what does "taking awhile to get active in the system" mean?

plc67

pilot
I read on one of the forums that an individual who had an upcoming interview as an FAA inspector had spent several months waiting to hear from the feds. He also stated that it's a pretty inclusive application that takes some time to fill out. As I recall he was a former Army helo driver who had done some civilian kind of flying. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you can get some guidance from some folks already in the system.

aircav06

None
As I get closer and closer to getting out, and my thoughts (and web searches) turn more and more towards jobs out in the "real world", I've found myself intrigued by a couple of the jobs at the FAA in D.C. Just curious if anyone on here has worked for the FAA, and if so, what's it like?

Very few of the jobs with the FAA in the DC region are flying jobs. Most are technical, programatic or staff mangerial types.

Good luck getting hired. Its very difficult to break in at the FAA HQs level.

https://jobs.faa.gov/asap/default.ASP?WCI=p_logon

Here is the link to their automated resume and application site. The only thing that might help you is a VA disability of 30% or more on an external announcement (open to public). Otherwise, many are internal announcements and you would be excluded (open only to current federal employees).

Plenty of contractor positions at Meade, Belvoir, Quantico, Pentagon etc.

phrogpilot73

Very few of the jobs with the FAA in the DC region are flying jobs. Most are technical, programatic or staff mangerial types.

Good luck getting hired. Its very difficult to break in at the FAA HQs level.

https://jobs.faa.gov/asap/default.ASP?WCI=p_logon

Here is the link to their automated resume and application site. The only thing that might help you is a VA disability of 30% or more on an external announcement (open to public). Otherwise, many are internal announcements and you would be excluded (open only to current federal employees).

Plenty of contractor positions at Meade, Belvoir, Quantico, Pentagon etc.
I wasn't really looking at the FAA for a flying job. I've almost given up on that, because I'm a low time helo guy... However, I am looking to stay in aviation. Why do you say that it is very difficult to break into the FAA HQs level? The job I'm looking at is open to public, and it also offers the 5 point veterans plan thingy... I'm also keeping my eye out for contractors, but I could be picked up by the Coast Guard after 1 month of being in DC, or I'll be PCS'ing with the wife to Hawaii. SO, I'm not looking at pissing off any future company I might like to work for, if you know what I mean...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you PCS to Hawaii with your wife, there are a couple of helo tour operators over there.

Also, if you have your fixed wing commercial there are some VFR airplane tour opertors. After some time with them, you could break into one of the 135 outfits for more time building.

Since your wife is employed, you might be able to survive the poor pay while you build up your flight time.

phrogpilot73

If you PCS to Hawaii with your wife, there are a couple of helo tour operators over there.

Also, if you have your fixed wing commercial there are some VFR airplane tour opertors. After some time with them, you could break into one of the 135 outfits for more time building.

Since your wife is employed, you might be able to survive the poor pay while you build up your flight time.
I've been looking at the helo tour operators... They all require 2K rotary wing PIC, I've got just over 1K, with 1300 total. I do have fixed wing commercial, are you talking single engine or multi engine?!?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've been looking at the helo tour operators... They all require 2K rotary wing PIC, I've got just over 1K, with 1300 total. I do have fixed wing commercial, are you talking single engine or multi engine?!?
There are tour operators that fly both. Plus there is some multi 135 cargo as well as at least one 135 pax flying Caravans (single engine turboprop). At a lot of these guys, getting hired is a matter of being the guy there and available. Sending a resume in from the mailand isn't going to get you much. Walking the ramp at the airport with resume in hand and a local address will.

phrogpilot73

There are tour operators that fly both. Plus there is some multi 135 cargo as well as at least one 135 pax flying Caravans (single engine turboprop). At a lot of these guys, getting hired is a matter of being the guy there and available. Sending a resume in from the mailand isn't going to get you much. Walking the ramp at the airport with resume in hand and a local address will.
If I don't get picked up for the Coast Guard, that definitely sounds like a plan. Are there alot based on Oahu, or are they mainly on the other islands?