• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier Down Off Oki, or SAR threadjack :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Crew Chief talk on plus basic pilot skills should keep you in a pretty stable hover right? Why would you need/trust a hover hold?
Hover hold in the 60 works REALLY well. About the only time it goons up is when it's misused by the operator.

Fun fact: Hover couple is one of the things that's required for a helo to be considered SAR capable at the LHD. We went down a fun staff rabbit hole when it looked like the SAR birds weren't going to have hours but the MEU was going to. After working the available resources we discovered that since the Phrogs had gone away the H-60 was the only organic platform that met all the criteria for being SAR capable. The skids lacked a hover coupler and a hoist. So our only SAR assets would have been a raft kicker* and the ship's RHIB. I don't remember my LHD matrix but I think this completely took troop movement off of the table. Since we were trying to support a major exercise someone looked in the seat cushions and found a few hours for the SAR bubbas.

*V-22 in the overhead delta makes a great raft kicker. They can hang out there for a long time. We even floated the idea of bringing in Sumo to tank the V-22 so I'd only have to recover it at the end of the day. Sumo was game but the V-22 guys didn't think our jokes were funny. When I said they should put a few extra guys in the V-22 and get them T&R points for tanking they they were even less amused and were insistent that this idea never make it to the OPSO.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Also if you are employing a dipper (and even triple so at night).

Point of order <pushes glasses up nose>, USCG does SAR OCONUS as well.
I know USCG does SAR in HI and PR. But not Guam. And I figured if I had said USCG does SAR OCONUS some other internet hero would have said, "Not true! what about Guam?!?"

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
"DRS Defense Solutions was contracted by the US Air Force in January 2012 to upgrade the HH-60G Pave Hawk with improved altitude hold and hover stabilization (IAHHS) at a cost of $12m."

I assume this is coupled hover capability....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know USCG does SAR in HI and PR. But not Guam. And I figured if I had said USCG does SAR OCONUS some other internet hero would have said, "Not true! what about Guam?!?"

Serious question...is PR and Guam (and American Samoa) considered OCONUS US (if you will)? I guess it probably is. I was just thinking HI and AK, but I lack imagination.

Pags

N/A
pilot
"DRS Defense Solutions was contracted by the US Air Force in January 2012 to upgrade the HH-60G Pave Hawk with improved altitude hold and hover stabilization (IAHHS) at a cost of $12m."

I assume this is coupled hover capability....
I couldn't tell you from the little contractual blurb. The word "improved" gives me no idea of the new capabilities and whether it has auto approach, auto depart, etc.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
*V-22 in the overhead delta makes a great raft kicker. They can hang out there for a long time. We even floated the idea of bringing in Sumo to tank the V-22 so I'd only have to recover it at the end of the day. Sumo was game but the V-22 guys didn't think our jokes were funny. When I said they should put a few extra guys in the V-22 and get them T&R points for tanking they they were even less amused and were insistent that this idea never make it to the OPSO.
8.0's for . . . somebody else!

image43.jpeg

:p

TexasForever

pilot
Hover couple is one of the things that's required for a helo to be considered SAR capable at the LHD. We went down a fun staff rabbit hole when it looked like the SAR birds weren't going to have hours but the MEU was going to. After working the available resources we discovered that since the Phrogs had gone away the H-60 was the only organic platform that met all the criteria for being SAR capable. The skids lacked a hover coupler and a hoist.

Skids have hover hold (not super stable but not terrible either) and a hoist. What does the coupling do? fix it to a gps point?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Skids have hover hold (not super stable but not terrible either) and a hoist. What does the coupling do? fix it to a gps point?
Our skids didn't have their hoists installed. Our understanding from talking with the Skid Kids was that their hover hold wasn't as capable as the 60S.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Super-stable matters when you're trying to maintain position over a dude in rough seas, at night, etc. A coupler can do multiple things, based on the airframe and what it's being asked to do at that particular moment. Legacy aircraft used doppler to maintain position (based off of the body of water beneath it). Newer airframes use either GPS, drift based off of GPS (which still makes my head hurt), or drift based off of system input (ie, with a dipper).

busdriver

None
I haven't flown the new and improved "hover coupler" on the 60G very much. I got a chance to play with it a little before I was banished to staff land, it seemed to be shit loads more useful than the old POS we had.

The old system was more useful as way to keep you from going full retard if you got a mild case of spacial D. I used the rad alt hold function with the cyclic control turned off, though it still wouldn't hold precise enough on it's own to run a hoist. You still had to keep your hand on the collective and reset the system/provide inputs.

I'll admit I did get super reliant on the hover cues. Some old dudes would talk about using the chem lights floating around as hover references and not using the system cues. I doubt that would have actually worked in the open ocean on a bad night, at least not well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's been a few years since my USAF exchange concluded, but as of 2014 there was no meaningful RADALT hold -- and definitely no coupled hover like we have in the Navy. The altitude hold was unreliable at best, and its use wasn't even discussed at the schoolhouse. As it was described to me, the hover coupler system we had was good enough to keep you in an area roughly the size of a football field, but you wouldn't count on it for precision hovering. An upgrade was coming that might have made its way to the fleet by now, and I'd guess that the 33d would be among the first to receive it (being located on an island and all), but even without it, I wouldn't doubt their ability to locate me in an ocean or render assistance to me once they do.

Can you share your exchange tour experience? How did you get slotted? What was your job? Flying/ops experience, etc. Culture difference between AF vs Navy helo communities, esp in the '60. Do exchange billets still exist?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'll admit I did get super reliant on the hover cues. Some old dudes would talk about using the chem lights floating around as hover references and not using the system cues. I doubt that would have actually worked in the open ocean on a bad night, at least not well.
I can only imagine that using chem lights in the ocean without a good horizon reference (NVDs) would give you a terrible case of Spatial D.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You can get good at just about anything with enough practice, but the doppler coupler in the (Seahawk version of the) 60 took almost all of the work out of it and it was 99% foolproof.