• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier crash in CA

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What in the hell are you people doing out there?!
Uhh . . . their jobs. Not sure if you meant it that way, but that's some nice smack talk at professional aviators and maintainers from someone with 0.0 hours of military flight time. Based on your profile, you don't have near the cred to make jokes like that.

Grizzly757

All. It was meant tongue in cheek. I would never had made the comment if someone got hurt, nor did I make it to offend anyone. For that I apologize. It was just coincidental that two incidents occurred around the same time and location.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Grizz, I haven't posted here in awhile, but your comment really got under my skin. You've since apologized, and as a potential future officer I'm inclined to give you one mulligan. I'll just leave this here though for you and any others that may come across it. You say you wouldn't have said that if "someone got hurt", well there's several families right now without homes who may tend to disagree with you (Obviously NOT blaming the pilot AT ALL, if there was ANY way to avoid crashing there we know he would've). And both pilots, while alive thankfully, do have minor injuries. An ejection seat is a great thing, but it's not just another ride at Disneyland, and no matter how benign the scenario there are bound to be at least some lasting effects later in life. A pilot had to eject recently on the east coast and got seriously messed up, as in I heard they were considering amputating limbs at one point. Initially the media reported the pilot was recovered safely and taken to the hospital, so is it ok to make joking or tongue in cheek remarks then just because he's alive? The answer is yes, but only between you and the other guys in your own ready room (of which you are not a part of right now), and only because it takes your mind off the fact that YOU could be next. Good luck with your application, and take this opportunity to learn a valuable lesson about joining the military, until you know what you're talking about, it's best to keep your ears and eyes open, and mouth shut.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
All. It was meant tongue in cheek. I would never had made the comment if someone got hurt, nor did I make it to offend anyone. For that I apologize. It was just coincidental that two incidents occurred around the same time and location.

We don't joke about that stuff. Glad the pilots are okay.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Which leads to the question. What is more expensive, crashing airplanes or flight hours? We are on track to double the Class A's from last year.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Which leads to the question. What is more expensive, crashing airplanes or flight hours? We are on track to double the Class A's from last year.
Where do you think the minimum flight hour requirements, and red on red numbers, etc. come from? The Navy is big on using Safety Center studies to allot the minimum number of flight hours per pilot they think is required to stay just proficient enough to stay on the limits of the acceptable side of the mishap curve.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
from your experience as an aviator do you think this may change the mindset of keeping pilots "fresh" and not cutting their hours?

Edit: or like what was stated above strive to not meet minimum standards?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
There are many tac air guys not even getting the mins. Well below in fact. Feel free to look at the HazReps that have been sent out lately highlighting the lack of hours. Maybe other communities are doing better, but tac air not so much. Logging sim time to meet the yearly flight mins? There are definitely the haves and have nots and I don't see that changing anytime soon. With the budget and current environment, what do we or should we expect?