• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigs_34

I have a plate in my arm, and I know that the rules say that you can't have any hardware in the body. ( I am applying for the BDCP program) Are waviers easy to get to get around this, will this be an automatic DQ, or am I going to have to have the plate taken out so I can go through with the BDCP program? Thanks.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Wigs,
What you wrote below isn't 100% accurate, though it's probably what your recruiter told you. The bottom line is NAMI (Navy Aerospace Medicine Institute) wants to make sure the retained hardware isn't covering up an underlying condition, i.e., would you be OK without it. Do a search and go to the NAMI website (or try the link I put in below). You will find a link to the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide. Click this link and look for the section about orthopedics. The first topic when you click this link is retained hardware. You will notice it says NCD assuming a few criteria are met. NCD = Not Considered Disqualifying. As long as you have no pain or limited mobility, and the problem which required the plate is resolved, you'll be fine. A word to the wise, start asking the surgeon who put it in for any documentation he has. My surgeon happened to be a former Army Doc so he wrote me a letter stating I had full range of motion, etc. As the NAMI website says, you may not even need a waiver. Read up and good luck.

LTJG Garrison

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/orthopedics.htm

ScottHook

God I love the "automatic DQ" rumor, when I first heard it the bottom fell out of my stomach. I still got a waiver for the three plates and a post in my jaw without any problems, though. I was later told, and I quote, "They just want to make sure that part of you won't get torn off in an ejection, and your jaw should be pretty secure in your helmet so at least you'll keep it with you".

wigs_34

Whats the process in getting a wavier if I have to? I go to MEPS, they deny me, and then just send them all the paperwork I have regarding the surgery, and they send it in or look it over and decide or what? How long does it take to get a wavier from the time they deny you at MEPS? Is it a big pain in the ass? Doesn't really matter I guess, cause I will go through whatever I have to regardless, but just looking for a heads up. Perhaps i can get a head start and prepare the paperwork.

ScottHook

No, its not that big of a pain. Your recruiter should ask that your doctor send a copy of all records to them. They will then fax it to MEPS so they can review it and decide if you can do a physical, which you usually can. At MEPS you'll have to sit down with the head physician and go through the records (mine took all of five minutes), then you'll continue the physical. Your complete packet then gets reviewed by the guys in Tennessee, and they go ahead and get the waiver approved themselves. At least thats how my waiver went through. Good luck.

If you want to get ahead, go ahead and let your doctor know that they're going to have to compile the records. Other than that, there is little you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.