• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hard to Stay Motivated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
Is anyone else have the feeling that is hard to stay motivated? OCS for me is not unitl Jan 22, 05. I am excited but I feel like I am losing motivation. I don't want to get too excited because then I will be like a kid wishing for Christmas and it is only August. San Antonio had some guys here, but two just left for the Aug 20 class... they should be checking in any time now.

I am just trying to be prepared but to not get overly excited. I know it will be here before I know it... Just thoughts.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i didn't have a prob with motivation before OCS... i was freakin' out about the NOMI physical and memorizing knowledge and getting into peak physical condition. As long as low motivation doesn't mean zapping your prior preparation then it's ok... you'll get plenty motivated on wake-up wednesday.
'

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Sabre- I'm not really finding it to hard to stay motivated. I'm just trying to get everything done that I need to get done (memorize everything, get in great shape, etc.). I know that once it gets to be around Thanksgiving time, I'll start to get really excited and nervous. And it's sorta hard for me, my original date to report was 17 July 2004, but since I had to postpone graduation, I didn't get to go then. It's hard for me to be here when I feel like I should be at OCS. But I'm sure OCS will come soon enough. Enjoy your time at home with your family!

-Erin Leigh

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your NRD should be conducting some DEP meetings where the intent is to not only prepare you for OCS but keep you motivated. I know lots recruiters fudge on the DEP meeting requirements. Ask the NRD if you are missing anything. Also, lots of military in TX. Go on some road trips. If you are an aviator type, even catching some of the action at an AF base is a real motivator. I know it is a long way, but the Lexington now is a museum ship in Corpus Christi. Any prospective naval officer should be motivated by strolling the decks of a vintage battle hardened carrier. If you opt for the road trip, have your recruiter try to set up a ship or squadron tour for you. It isn't that hard for him. If you are BDCP or you can get together with a BDCP DEPer from your NRD, you can go where ever you want on any military base because you (they) have a military ID card. In any case, keeping up with Air Warriors should help as well. Establish a dialogue on line with guys in OCS or API. It is worth the wait.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
JetJunkie said:
Erin Leigh -

What is your designator?

-Junk

SWO-EDO....I know, I know, I'm not a pilot type!! But I absolutley love engineering, being on ships, working in the engine room. Weird for a female, I know. But I have always wanted to be in the Navy, and I really, really love being at sea and working on ships.

-Erin Leigh

flynsail

pilot
Excuse my laziness to look up the difference between SWO and SWO-EDO. Regular SWO's stand EDO when they get qualified on small boys. From my understanding, those that qualify are basically "Cheng-for-the-night" when on EDO watch in port. EOOW is for underway.

I could be wrong but clearly I am confused as to what the difference is. I commend you for being a female and wanting to be in the engineering department underway. Oh yeah, being a SWO too!

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
The first part of SWO-EDO training is exactly the same as SWO (going straight to ships after OCS now, getting your pin, etc.) After your initial sea tour, then you decide if you want to stay SWO-EDO or redesignate SWO. From this websight http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm

Engineering Duty Option Program. Ten Officer Candidate School quotas are available per year for this program. Officers begin their careers as conventional Surface Warfare Officers, and can exercise their option to become EDs after completing their warfare qualification, and a minimum sea tour, typically two years. Shortly after reporting to your ship, you'll be assigned a local ED mentor, available to provide information and answer questions.

All EDs must earn a technical Master's Degree, either at Massachusetts Institute of Technology or Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). ED-approved curricula include Naval Construction and Nuclear Engineering at MIT, and Computer Science, Combat Systems & Technology, Naval/Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Space Systems Engineering at NPS. Postgraduate school carries a three-year obligation for the first year, then month-for-month thereafter.

So basically, from the SWO-EDO's I've talked to, I will spend my first couple of years doing SWO stuff, getting all my quals, etc., then I will go to schools to become more specialized in EDO community.

Thanks for hte support!
-Erin Leigh

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is EDO as in Engineering Duty Officer, a small restricted line community that are the Navy's professional engineers. Most EDOs are redesignated from a unrestricted line designator after a first sea tour. The SWO-EDO option is a great deal because you are slated for the designator change to EDO from the get go. Hard to get. Has nothing to do with standing watches.

R

RickyDT34

Sabre, sounds lke we may be having the same problem. Just because of the length of DEP I am starting to slack off. I still enjoy being in the military but I tired of waiting for OCS. I WISH I COULD GO NOW!!

hey Erin Leigh, that swo-edo program sounds really cool. I think that you, Sabre, and I are gong to be in OCS at the same time. See you there.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I love having Wink on here, he can explain everything perfectly!!! I had a friend that was a recruiter, and man, I swear, he knew everything about every designator out there.

JetJunkie-I studied Mechanical/Marine Engineering. It is basically a Mechanical Engineering degree with an emphasis in the Marine field. It's been hard, but I love it. For our senior project, we designed and built a Pulse Jet Engine!!!! I went to Texas A&M University. They have a Maritime Academy where I got my 3rd Assistance Engineers Liscene with my schooling.

RickyDT34- I know Sabre and I are in the same class. What is your designator? Shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat.

-Erin Leigh

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Man Erin, that sounds like a lot of work for all of that. Are you sure you don't want to be an aviator? we don't work very hard, we get cool flight suits and everybody digs the wings :)

seriously though, that sounds pretty neat, MIT and all. I'm not sharp enough to do it, but the program sounds pretty awesome. Enjoy that time as a SWO though, I hear it is really fun.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
man...

man, you guys are all going to OCS and losing motivation... and i'm here only trying to get good enough grades to get 2 yrs NROTC and i'm losing motivation! i'm going nowhere here! i'm trying to do well, but getting crappy grades... and i study! i'm trying to major in chemical engineering right now. i was in nrotc once but left because of the academics. i try to stay motivated by reading navy seals/eod stuff and talking to former naval aviators/nfos that are now doctors thanks to the navy. one even almost became a naval astronaut until he had his second child (wanted to be a family man than an astronaut.) the naval doctors and you guys are my only motivation because my parents don't believe in me joining the military! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
PropStop said:
Enjoy that time as a SWO though, I hear it is really fun.

Yeah, I hear all sorts of people just absolutley llllooovvveee being a SWO (note the sarcasm). I've met alot of people unhappy who are SWO's, but most of them aren't SWO's by choice or they're just doing their time in the Navy b/c they Navy paid for school or whatnot. I'm also the type of person that makes myself happy no matter where I am (even at the end of a 3 mile long peir in Earl New Jersey in the blistering cold in January...grrrr...). It's what I've always wanted to do, so I'm excited about it. Pluss I love going to schools, learning new things....actually the coolest school I ever went to was the Advanced Marine Firefighting school....that was awesome!! I know there'll be bad and good aspects of the lifestyle, plus there'll be bad and good commands...I'll just take it all in stride. To each his/her own I guess.

However, I am jealous of the cool flight suits ;) . Our blue coveralls aren't near as nifty!!

-Erin Leigh

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
erinleigh31 said:
Yeah, I hear all sorts of people just absolutley llllooovvveee being a SWO (note the sarcasm). I've met alot of people unhappy who are SWO's, but most of them aren't SWO's by choice or they're just doing their time in the Navy b/c they Navy paid for school or whatnot. I'm also the type of person that makes myself happy no matter where I am (even at the end of a 3 mile long peir in Earl New Jersey in the blistering cold in January...grrrr...). It's what I've always wanted to do, so I'm excited about it. Pluss I love going to schools, learning new things....actually the coolest school I ever went to was the Advanced Marine Firefighting school....that was awesome!! I know there'll be bad and good aspects of the lifestyle, plus there'll be bad and good commands...I'll just take it all in stride. To each his/her own I guess.

However, I am jealous of the cool flight suits ;) . Our blue coveralls aren't near as nifty!!

-Erin Leigh

Great attitude! If only the SWO community had more people who thought like that. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.