• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hand Painted Patches

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
Sorry if this is already addressed elsewhere, but I can't find anything on it, soooo...

For guys currently in the fleet, what's the general opinion on hand painted, "WWII style" squadron insignia patches for the leather flight jacket? Do they end up looking too flashy/gaudy or are they generally accepted by most squadrons?

Just wondering about others' experiences before I spend the money. And for reference, I'm looking at flightjacket.com

My main reason to even consider this is that Typy Gypsy is currently at a year and a half wait.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
TG is by far the way to go. I have squadron mates and friends who balked at the long waits or high prices of TG, only to buy the Wings and Things version and be disappointed. Don't cheap out.

joe dirt

pilot
I bought a Wings and Things name patch for my flight jacket. I picked it up the day I PCS'd to Pendleton without really looking at it.
Turns out they spelled Marines MARNIES.
Good times...

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
I appreciate all of the quick responses.

What I specifically was referring to though were these types of "hand painted WWII patches".

$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pM44BQUq,dcHO!~~60_35.JPG
$(KGrHqFHJCUE9!GMpm93BPYBwshEFw~~60_35.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!qIE-0pIVrOFBPutj4l5B!~~60_35.JPG

They run you $100+ and are made with high quality "leather paint", and they take about 2 to 3 weeks to make. Flightjacket.com makes them for around $80, as does another artist (the more expensive of the two), whose name and contact info I won't put on here because I don't want to be waiting for him for a year and a half as well. ;)

Any thoughts on these types of patches?

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
As far as the artwork, I would only do it as part of a squadron buy that the mess voted on as a squadron-specific thing. The only patches I've seen (and put) on leather jackets are actual squadron patches, airframe patches, flags (American, Gadsden, or similar), and post-grad schools such as Topgun, WTI, or TPS. From what I've seen during two flying tours, "one off" artwork just isn't done unless it's a special squadron "throwback" patch or something similar.

That said, Flightjacket.com can make good quality patches on par with Tipsy Gypsy. I'm a longtime fan of TG, but their waiting period lately is insane. I called them in December about a group buy, and they said they had a 6+ month backlog on current orders and weren't even accepting new orders. Flightjacket.com delivered a fine product in 3 weeks, for less money.

Last edited:

mdubs

pilot
I have a painted leather squadron patch on my flight jacket. It is nice. The name tag and American flag that came with it were terrible. Not sure what company our squadron used though...

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
I'm a longtime fan of TG, but their waiting period lately is insane. I called them in December about a group buy, and they said they had a 6+ month backlog on current orders and weren't even accepting new orders.

Yeah, I submitted my name tag order August 18th, and they started the "14 step process" of making it on January 23rd. I called the other day to find out that it will still not be ready until the end of March/April. Not sure I want to do the wait again for a squadron patch.

Either way, I think the hand-painted patches (examples above I posted) look cooler than the standard hand-painted embossed leather (typsy gypsy style) that everyone has. I'm just trying to find out if they're even allowed to be worn on the jacket. I know the instruction just specifies that it has to be the squadron insignia and the specific size.