• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Had my first solo today in the C-152

FLY_USMC

pilot
Got to fly a turbine Lanceair one time with a friend who got a job demoing them. He was coming from Washington state and wanted to pick me up on the way and come with him to Sun N Fun in Florida, unfortunately I had to work so instead we flew to a crew base and I caught a ride back home for work. If I remember right, we were getting like 327 KIAS at about 9K in a plane no bigger than a Volkswagon, it was pretty awesome, touchy as all sin.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
If I remember right, we were getting like 327 KIAS at about 9K in a plane no bigger than a Volkswagon, it was pretty awesome, touchy as all sin.

That's a pretty decent FAR violation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
theduke said:
depending on altitude

i'm figuring it was pressurized if it was a turbine, and they were above 10k'.

Reading comprehension, theduke, reading comprehension. Go back and read it again.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Fly Navy said:

Yeah, you're right, maybe we were at 10K...I can't exactly remember, it was 2years ago. I was kind of being fesicious(sp) stating that we weren't up in the flight levels. As for pressurization, nah, it's too small and non-complex for pressurization. What it did have, which I thought was really nice, was inflatable door seals like a nice car would have. It was amazing at the sound inside when we started, and then after you hit the seals on, man it was like whisper quiet, which I thought was impressive.

theduke

oops

i was kinda skimming...in a rush to make it to the computer based training room and the gym before they closed, since i elected to hit up the beach this afternoon and put off studying until tonight!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
theduke said:
oops

i was kinda skimming...in a rush to make it to the computer based training room and the gym before they closed, since i elected to hit up the beach this afternoon and put off studying until tonight!

No problem, I'm guilty of the same ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
....we were getting like 327 KIAS at about 9K in a plane no bigger than a Volkswagon, it was pretty awesome, touchy as all sin.

Fly Navy said:
ATC: Say airspeed

Lanceair: 250 indicated

ATC: We show 327 kts

Lanceair: Heck of a groundspeed, we must have a killer tailwind.....

Remember the golden rule: Speed, altitude and heading are always what is assigned/within the FARs. Everything else is wind, transponder error etc......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
ATC: Say airspeed

Lanceair: 250 indicated

ATC: We show 327 kts

Lanceair: Heck of a groundspeed, we must have a killer tailwind.....

Remember the golden rule: Speed, altitude and heading are always what is assigned/within the FARs. Everything else is wind, transponder error etc......

"Say airspeed"... "250"..."We need you to speed up for traffic"..."Roger *going to mil* going to 250" ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HAL:

I've had a couple of briefs here from the local TRACON rep who works w/ the Navy for deconfliction and planning. He made a similar comment about the EC135s that are coming in here now. Apparently they're easily doing 300 going down hill and entering the terminal area. Of course when asked, "250." I guess the regional airlines have come a long way. Not complaining though, I made it to Tampa in 59 minutes the other day. Sure beats the Beech 1900.