• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

H.R. 45 - 2009 Antigun legislation

phrogpilot73

There is a common-sense approach to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don’t have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. We can trace guns that are used in crimes to dishonest gun dealers that may be selling to straw purchasers and dumping them on the streets for a quick buck.
Pennsylvania's laws:

It is unlawful for the following to possess any firearm: any person convicted of a crime of violence; who is a fugitive, or has been convicted of a controlled substance offense punishable by more than 2 years, adjudicated mentally incompetent or involuntarily committed to a mental institution, illegal alien, adjudicated a delinquent for an offense that would disqualify one from possessing a firearm if committed by an adult, or subject to a protection from abuse (PFA) court order that prohibits possession of a firearm.

No person may knowingly or intentionally transfer any firearm to any person who is prohibited from possession.

So how is yet another law going to be effective, when your argument is already moot - since the laws on the books aren't being enforced?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t restrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local government can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.

That is EXACTLY what an individual right DOES mean. That the state or local government can't restrain the exercise of that right.

The Bill of Rights is designed to protect citizens from the government.

Your zoning ordinance does not apply because there are no amendments guaranteeing your right to own private property (only your right to not have it taken away unlawfully), and also because zoning ordinances are there to protect other citizens - in the same vein as has been mentioned earlier about your rights stopping where mine begin.

Zoning ordinances stop me from building my coal plant in the middle of a quiet neighborhood, or trying to start my dairy farm in the middle of downtown whereverville, these would infringe on the sensibilities and property values of those around me.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Correction:

The Constitution did not give you something, it merely put into words what everyone already knew.

Well said - your rights come from Natural Law - the Constitution and Bill of Rights simply enumerates the rights you were born with. Government does not give us anything.

I had to remind my kids of this the other day - you would be amazed at what is NOT taught in public high school anymore. Ugh.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Experts agree

gun_control_works21.jpg