• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GW CO & XO relieved

phrogpilot73

In the 70s I was on my first watch during my first trip on the Forrestal to distant vacation spots. No flight ops, so I basically cruised around the flight deck passing time. Somewhere on the starboad side I smelled pot and came across 5 or 6 guys doing their thing. Hmmm, 1 v 5 in the Atlantic....odds not looking good, so I trotted off to the CDO shack. He was asleep. A-7 driver out of NAS Lemoore. I left him a note.
You know, I'd love to say that your & Schnugg's story about pot is due to the times, I'm just not that naive... It could still be going on...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You know, I'd love to say that your & Schnugg's story about pot is due to the times, I'm just not that naive... It could still be going on...

I was on the smoke deck of Bataan and smelled weed once. I looked around all over (it was at night) and couldn't see anything other than people smoking what appeared to be regular smokes. I told the MAA about it (he sits at the entrance of the smoke deck all day) but never heard anything about it.

I have a hard time believing that somebody would just whip out a joint right there in front of God and everyone, but I'm starting to understand that there are some of those folks out there.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Once I was in the yards on an AOE when they busted a couple of people smoking weed, they kept it pretty quiet until the next day at quarters when they secured liberty for a command sweep. They also brought down MWDs (dogs) from willow grove to search the ship. Pretty good plan except that they didn't have enough sample bottles for everyone so they gave up in the afternoon.

My first time in the yards we had a command sweep right after the holiday leave periods and about 50 out of 500 popped. This was in 2000. The shipyard sucks and theres a lot of trouble to be found in South Philly...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once I was in the yards on an AOE when they busted a couple of people smoking weed, they kept it pretty quiet until the next day at quarters when they secured liberty for a command sweep. They also brought down MWDs (dogs) from willow grove to search the ship. Pretty good plan except that they didn't have enough sample bottles for everyone so they gave up in the afternoon.

My first time in the yards we had a command sweep right after the holiday leave periods and about 50 out of 500 popped. This was in 2000. The shipyard sucks and theres a lot of trouble to be found in South Philly...

My command has a urinalysis every day. Not for everyone, but a random sampling from every department gets tested daily.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I was in VP-46 my first tour, we had 2 PR1s that everyone thought were shit hot and sure to make Chief. They were the "go to" guys for everything needing a little leadership.

One day we had quarters and they were handing out various LOAs, LOCs and NAMs. We always started with the lowest awards and worked our way up calling the Sailors up in groups. The Skipper says "For our last 2 awardees I'd like PR1 Smith and PR1 Jones to step forward." Since the NAMs had already been given out, everyone thought the PR1s were going to get something big. The PR1s come forward and stand at attention before the Skipper. NIS comes up from behind them, puts them on the ground and slaps hand cuffs on them. The Skipper says "PR1 Smith and PR1 Jones, you are under arrest for selling narcotics. The NIS officers will now tell you the formal charges and read you your rights." As the NIS agents lead them away, the Skipper announces that the PR1s had been selling crack out of the PR shop and NIS had been investigating them for a while. Then he announced a command sweep. Everyone stay in ranks at ease until their group was called. We had the highest number of positives I've ever seen out of that sweep.

What was really smart was that the CO had covertly enlisted the help of 2 shit hot PR2s to watch the PR1s work and make sure everything was good with the flight gear during the 6 months of the investigation. First thing the CO did when NIS came to him. NIS objected fearing they would inadvertently alert the PR1s but the CO insisted or he would relieve the PR1s of all duty which would also screw the investigation. The CO stood firm and won. The PR2s were capped to PR1 and given NCMs. They deserved it.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^ We should be able to shoot people for stuff like that...

No I don't think I'm over reacting - We are in the frickin military and that is about as much as you can do to destroy the effectiveness of a unit. We should at least be able to have everyone line up and each one who pops negative gets to kick them in the nuts.

Flugelman

Contributor
Some of the most frustrating times as a supervisor was trying to work with the kids I could see wandering off into this type of behavior. I usually tried to give them a second chance to get straight if I suspected something. After that it was "let the hammer fall". If they "popped positive" there was nothing I could do for them. It's so sad to see a promising life ruined by bad choices, not to mention the disruption caused in the work environment.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Circa 1990 had a S-Hot AME2. Worked in QA and did a great job. Popped positive for coke, admitted it, took an admin sep and left. NIS showed up about a month later with pictures of his dismembered body stuffed in an Oak Harbor crawlspace. :eek: made sure all the troops saw them.

Cleaned things right up for a while :)

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Back to the topic at hand..just want to point out that if you think that the fire is the only reason that they were relieved, you are probably off a little. There was a lot more going on with that ship and that situation than just the fire incident. The fire obviously was a major player, but there were a number of issues that contributed to this. It is a shame when officers go down in these situations, but lets be careful beating the drum and waving the unfair scapegoat flag. There is more to this than you may think.

BigRed389

None
Speculation, but the XO firing may have to do with the fact that XO's are DCTT leaders.

DC is a big job on a ship...you pretty much require all hands trained up to a minimum level of standards. And GQ also requires the entire ship's participation, which is why the XO is the head of DCTT...so he can get in everybody's ass about DC, whether they like it or not.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speculation, but the XO firing may have to do with the fact that XO's are DCTT leaders.

DC is a big job on a ship...you pretty much require all hands trained up to a minimum level of standards. And GQ also requires the entire ship's participation, which is why the XO is the head of DCTT...so he can get in everybody's ass about DC, whether they like it or not.

I don't think the DC angle is the right answer to the "why the XO got canned" question.

From what I saw, the crew responded appropriately and all hands did the jobs they needed too. I saw things like COD aircrew (and many other people from other squadrons) manning fire hoses, Pilots manning the dirty shirt to free up personnel and then feeding the ENTIRE ship for 36 hours. Other things like hundreds of people showing up for working parties for days afterwards to salvage all they could from the damaged reefers, all the berthing aft being cleaned and painted in 48 hours with no ventilation or electricity in the spaces. I think the after action reports and lessons learned will show a crew that responded properly to an avoidable mishap.

Long story short, I think there is another angle to why the Big XO was relieved and it goes to the heart of his job. Shouldn't 90 gallons of hazmat being improperly stored have been discovered by a zone inspection before this occured? Were the zone inspections even being done? The ultimate responsibility lies with the CO, but the XO is the heads & beds/cleanliness guy who is delegated by the CO to find and fix this kind of stuff. Zone inspections aren't just about high dust and shiny brass.

The Navy said they were going to release a redacted copy of the JAGMAN, so that should be able to end much of the speculation. I'm sure the Navy Times will publicize it for all too see.