• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] MilSurp Bonanza

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I've been busy lately with cleaning up too damn many guns...

3 CMP Garands
Top to Bottom: Springfield (looks unfired), H&R, Springfield

I'm debating swapping the top two around wood-wise.... people have told me the contrast is too sharp with the light wood/dark park. The H&R is the Garand I've had for awhile, while the other two are recent acquisitions. But in the frenzy that ensued, I tore it down and refinished it totally and swapped its wood out for one of the better stocks that came with the 2 recent CMP guns. The bottom Garand is going to be sold soon.

CMP High SN Springfield 1903

Part of the 3 gun order from CMP, this is a 1918 955,xxx s/n 1903. The stock was too long to fit in the dishwasher like the Garand (awesome cosmo removal technique fyi), so I scrubbed on it but still couldnt get it to bare wood like the handguard... so it doesnt match -- might look into seeing if a furniture shop can dip it or something. Good shape overall and the bore looks immaculate.

1943 bcd-code (Gustloff Werke) K98 Mauser

I posted about this one a little earlier, but finally got it cleaned up some more and installed the sight hood and cleaning rod that the Russians so unceremoniously removed from all their capture rifles. It looks a lot better now.

Save for the H&R Garand, I haven't fired any of these yet, so I have the anxious task of seeing if they will work fine or explode in my face... ah the joys of mil-surp rifles. Currently, I'm shopping for an M44 (w/ laminated stock), an SVT-40, and a G-43.... so if you know of any for a good deal, I'm listening.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I need more M1s... 1 is just not enough.

People, fellow Air Warriors, do your nation a service and give a M1 a good home. :D

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I want a Garand and I want a more M14-styled rifle SO bad right now. I really like the Springfield M1s in the longer-barrel styles...

Squeeze, those are some beauties...love that K98 too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
metro said:
......I really like the Springfield M1s in the longer-barrel styles...
Metro: What do you mean "longer-barrel styles" ?? Perhaps as opposed to the so-called "Tanker" Garands ??

0600_tSEI_M1_Tanker_Picture.jpg
......"TANKER" Garand

Below are representative pictures of two of my primo Garands. My M1C is on the original Springfield "production list" as having been born a M1C and features an original M82 scope, vice the depicted M84 scope. It also has the cone-shaped flash hider.

m1cm1d.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
I want a Garand and I want a more M14-styled rifle SO bad right now. I really like the Springfield M1s in the longer-barrel styles...

Squeeze, those are some beauties...love that K98 too.

Thanks... it's one of my favorites of the bunch.

Are you referring to the M1As or M1s? They are not the same rifle... very similiar and obviously related, but not the same. The M1A is the civilian M14 clone more or less and the 'longer barrel' ones are the normal size. My M1s are all the 'normal' size for a Garand. The "tanker" variant is a misnomer, as it was developed for paratrooper use under the designation T26 (as well as the M1E5 with a metal folding stock and a pistol grip). The term gained popularity in the 60s when Robert Penney began modifying USGI Garands and selling them as "Tankers." The only T26 built was destroyed in testing and of the field modified short-Garands it was based on, only one survives in Springfield Armory's museum.

Comparo:

M1 Garand

Field Modified Garand

M1E5

M14/M1A

That should clear up any confusion...

Also, just so you know... the Springfield Armory who produced USGI weapons is NOT the Springfield Armory who sells guns today. The SA of today was founded by Robert Reese who bought the name in the 70s. I would also be careful of buying a SA M1A due the wildly varying accounts of quality control that exist among them. Fulton Armory makes a much higher quality gun (albeit more $) and is run by a real stand up guy. I've dealt with them on many occasions.

/Garand dork

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NeoCortex said:
Anyone know where to find some of these for cheeper than a grand? Maybe an import?

A Garand? Sure... hows $350-900 sound? The most expensive of my 3 was $500. All courtesy of your friendly government gun store - the Civilian Marksmanship Program Now if you're talking about a new mfr or at a gunshow... good luck -- I regularly see sub-cmp-level guns at shows listed for $6-800... you'll rarely find any deals at shows anymore that can't be beat online. The only new ones per se are Springfield and Fulton and both are over the $1k mark. But a good bore and good parkerized job can be had from CMP for a lot less.

Now, if you're talking M1A/M14.... not very likely unless you can find a Chinese Norinco/Polytech M14S which is iffy in and of itself (awesome receivers and hard as a rock, but have issues with the bolts... which can be converted to a USGI bolt with a little work). Most of the original M14s were exported or cut up in the 80s in the wake of all the machine-gun and import ban hub-bub. Why the government can't sell parts kits (sans receivers) through the CMP is beyond me -- that whole "once a machine gun always a machine gun" nonsense.

metro

A4sForever said:
Metro: What do you mean "longer-barrel styles" ?? Perhaps as opposed to the so-called "Tanker" Garands ??

Actually, Squeeze hit it...my fault on the mistaken designation. I was speaking of the Springfield M1A...forgot it had the "A" in the model name. I meant one of the standard-sized M1A rifles when I said "longer barreled styles."

Thanks for the clearup there...and Fulton, eh? Might have to look into them.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Bah, the M1A from SA is an outstanding weapon. I'll be purchasing a second right soon. Just take care of it properly and it will take care of you. Any problem I've ever had has been due to bag magazines.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Bah, the M1A from SA is an outstanding weapon. I'll be purchasing a second right soon. Just take care of it properly and it will take care of you. Any problem I've ever had has been due to bag magazines.

That's great and all that you have one that works fine, but that is a pretty small sample size and shows some ignorance to the rash of problems that SA has had with their M1As.

How about little things like this...

..or the fact that they have essentially exhausted their supply of USGI parts and are now largely constructed of Taiwanese imported junk. Their quality control these days is absolute sh-t when it comes to the M1As. I appreciate that you're a fanboy now b/c you have a scout from them, but it's obvious your view is skewed b/c of your working rifle. Many, many people who have bought M1As from them have had a number of problems that resulted in the rifles being sent back multiple times. I've seen countless people who were loyal SA fans swear off their rifles forever. SA was created to build M1As, and they used to be good at it... not so much anymore. If you must have a Springfield M1A, find a pre-ban one.

I mean, if you like dropping $1500 into a rifle w/o doing a lot of research, that's cool with me. Feel fortunate yours works... for now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
.......the rash of problems that SA has had with their M1As.

How about little things like ......the fact that they have essentially exhausted their supply of USGI parts and are now largely constructed of Taiwanese imported junk....
Squeeze is right on this (and of course, many, many other things ... :) ) .... S/A in their current itteration is substandard in the M1A department. I have a really "early" pre-ban M1A product of theirs --- it's perfect, always has been. But the new production --- stay away from "it" --- like you would Norinco junk.

Just my $20 worth ....

metro

Hey Squeeze, I am assuming, since it doesn't say, that all of the Garands on the CMP site you listed are chambered in the "original" caliber of .30-06, right? No .308?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
metro said:
Hey Squeeze, I am assuming, since it doesn't say, that all of the Garands on the CMP site you listed are chambered in the "original" caliber of .30-06, right? No .308?
Hey, metro: :icon_mi_1
Over the past 7 years the CMP has collected several dozen 7.62MM Garands that were sold in small lots via the CMP Auction Site starting 1 March 2004. I don't know the current status of the auctions ... the link to the CMP Auction Site is not working as of now. Perhaps they have pulled it down and the rifles are gone.

They are currently advertising some Mann Accuracy Devices (barrels) available in 7.62mm that could be attatched to a M1903 action to make a very nice hunting rifle.

mann15.jpg

Check this link for a general CMP discussion of 7.62 NATO Garands: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/762MM.htm

Scott Duff occasionally has 7.62 NATO Garands for sale. I purchased a Navy Trophy M1 Rifle Mk 2 Mod 1 in 7.62 MM using the then new SA produced barrel (1965-67 mfg.) from him a few years back. Collector grade, very nice, bring money. Duff's site is a little sold out right now --- that happens every few months as he rolls his generally collector-grade stock. I've had overall good results with him -- 4-5 transactions. No promises, of course. As always with collector grade firearms, Caveat Emptor ... but Duff has a pretty good track record.

http://www.scott-duff.com/