• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun laws question

Status
Not open for further replies.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
This came up on another Mboard I'm on and I thought of all of you. Do you know of a resource where someone can look up with the specific laws in their state are WRT what criteria must be met in order to legally shoot someone on your property (i.e., must they be an imminent threat, etc.)? Google netted nothing. TIA!

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Couldn't you just go to the states official website and sift through their statutes? Or, push comes to shove and you really want to know if you can shoot someone on you property, call the local law enforcement agency and ask, if they don't know, they will know where to look.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....know of a resource where someone can look up with the specific laws in their state ...WRT what criteria must be met in order to legally shoot someone on your property.
Don't know whether this will address the specificity you are seeking ('cause it's problematical whether of not it's "good" to go looking for ways to shoot someone :)); but this is always a good place to start:

NRA State-by-State compendium of firearms laws

CCRKBA Homepage

Gun Owners of America

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't take this the wrong way, as all of the above are great starting places...

But if you are looking for these laws in online forums, websites and message boards, it's a sure sign that you need more training before contemplating defending yourself with a firearm.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ What he said ... the use of deadly force and local/state laws are usually front & center in any "proper & accredited " firearms training course.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Better yet ... why not PM Voodoo Queen and have her put a spell on them for you??? Ammo is gettin' more expensive every day ... :)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Fear not. I don't currently own a gun so I'm not seeking critical knowledge on the internets and I'm not seeking out the info for anyone who is looking to get rid of an Ex or otherwise planning on shooting anyone.

It was a discussion that started based on a story of a woman whose husband came home to her having sex in a truck in their driveway. She told him she was being raped when in fact she was having an affair. As the boyfriend was fleeing, the husband shot and killed him, thinking the man was guilty of raping the wife. The wife was charged with manslaughter and the husband was not charged with anything. I believe this happened in Texas and a Texas gun owner posted that you can shoot someone on your property there even if they are fleeing or otherwise not an immediate threat. Discussion of state's various gun laws ensued.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fear not. .....As the boyfriend was fleeing, the husband shot and killed him, thinking the man was guilty of raping the wife. The wife was charged with manslaughter and the husband was not charged with anything...

Don't mess with Texas.

Sounds like a righteous decision to me ... I love Texas.
:icon_wink

Fear??? The only thing to fear is fear itself. I don't "fear fear" ... to do so would be **stt-t-t-t-t*uuu-u-u-u-u-ttering** ... :)

22461574ao0.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
It was a discussion that started based on a story of a woman whose husband came home to her having sex in a truck in their driveway. She told him she was being raped when in fact she was having an affair. As the boyfriend was fleeing, the husband shot and killed him, thinking the man was guilty of raping the wife. The wife was charged with manslaughter and the husband was not charged with anything. I believe this happened in Texas and a Texas gun owner posted that you can shoot someone on your property there even if they are fleeing or otherwise not an immediate threat. Discussion of state's various gun laws ensued.

The wife was convicted, got 5 years... Husband was no-billed. He said on the local news today that he would do it again.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm all for the wife being held accountable as her actions were disgusting and very much lead to the man's death, but I'll admit that it doesn't sit well with me that it is okay to shoot a man in the back as he's fleeing.

teufelhund0311

pilot
In Texas there is quite a bit of leeway, especially at night. Use of deadly force to stop a sexual assault, even by random third party people, is also good to go in the Lone Star State.

Funny story when I first moved to Texas went something like: Two teenagers are stealing a guy’s wheels, sees them from his apartment balcony and takes some shots at them. I think he killed one and winged the other, no charges. In Texas, at night, if you can reasonably believe you would not recover your property then…deadly force is authorized.

Mind you it’s been a few years since I took the concealed carry class so the laws may be different now.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I'm all for the wife being held accountable as her actions were disgusting and very much lead to the man's death, but I'll admit that it doesn't sit well with me that it is okay to shoot a man in the back as he's fleeing.

I guess it would be okay to let him go rape another person then. If deadly force is authorized to prevent a crime, then it is authorized after the fact since it is assumed that he will do it again.

It sucks for the guy who was just getting some but Leroy Brown learned the same lesson bout messin' with the wife of a jealous man.

Status
Not open for further replies.