• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Laws in your state

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I see it more as a foot in the door type maneuver, the next logical being a national CC permit. Or such is my hope.

I would much rather see this... however I doubt a national permit would ever come about, just as a national drivers license never emerged.

As a general rule, citizens outside of the south / southwest, and back east (Chicago, the NE coast, S. California, and N. West coast) have not yet come to accept the Heller decision regarding guns, especially with regards to self defense. So National Reciprocity risks states abandoning or never adopting CCW laws.

I also don't think the Heller decision has been tested enough. It would be nice to see Cook County get their gun control laws shot down as well. I'm confident that the Heller decision will hold when similar law suits are filed.

CAMike

None
Contributor
For all of you folks interested in politics, which I know on this board may only be one or two :icon_tong

Could be pretty important for getting national recognition, similar to driver's licenses. The way I read it is that if a state issues a permit, they would have to recognize another state's permit, no exceptions. So, that means that with my Florida permit I could carry concealed in California, Maryland, New York, etc, etc.... (or, at least that's the hope).

Contact your Senators, you never know what affect it may have.

And here in in California we make it even more complicated. Fresno County is VERY easy to get a concealed weapons permit. That said- if I go to San Francisco and get pulled over for say a "speeding ticket" or other minor infraction and I announce that I have a CW- the weapon has a very likley going to be confiscated and then one must go to court at a later date to get the weapon returned. In fact this WAS the case in 90% of these situations until just recently. A few months ago a higher ruling authority asked SF County/City not to continue with the confiscation procedure.

Bottom line: In CA, counties are suppose to honor the CCW permits from other issuing counties regardless of their local beliefs/procedures. Until recently SF county couldn't even follow the standard reciprocity of CCW permit holders. I can't imagine how the bureaucrats of 50 states are going to manage this...unless more states like CA run out of money and the local police forces are financialy decimated and "the populus" is granted the right to carry for purely defensive purposes.

Maybe someday?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yea, if only we had some national law saying that we could own and carry our firearms....if only people could still read.

It's right here under [Amendment] #2.

But according to this Wise Latina Woman I keep hearing, that document is only binding on the federal gov't, not the states.:icon_rage:eek::sleep_125

statesman

pilot
There is a court decision which disagrees with her... I can't remember which one, but it was one of the first SCOTUS cases if I remember correctly. From the days of the Marshall court.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It'll never fly. Too many liberal pinko commie states like New York, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin, California, New Jersey when it comes to civilians and carry permits.

Bevo16

pilot
But according to this Wise Latina Woman I keep hearing, that document is only binding on the federal gov't, not the states.:icon_rage:eek::sleep_125

Right.

Furman vs. Georgia?

The Supreme Court had no problem telling the states that the constitution applied to them in that decision.

I wonder what that "wise Latina woman" would think if Rick Perry decided to start giving quarter to National Guard troops in private homes in South Texas to enforce border laws.

Bevo16

pilot
It'll never fly. Too many liberal pinko commie states like New York, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin, California, New Jersey when it comes to civilians and carry permits.

Well, as soon as we take off our uniform and turn in our issued weapon we are civilians as far as the law is concerned.

I took a road trip up to DC this weekend and brought my Walther with me. When I crossed the Virginia line, I became a criminal. Fuck it, you can get out of jail. You can't get out of dead.

statesman

pilot
I wonder what that "wise Latina woman" would think if Rick Perry decided to start giving quarter to National Guard troops in private homes in South Texas to enforce border laws.

Sometimes the more radical part of me thinks this would be an appropriate action, just to prove a point.

Bevo16

pilot
The radical part of me thinks that an even more radical action on the part of Governor Perry might be a better way to prove the point.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I think most of you already know that there is carry reciprocity between many states already. The problem of course is that it's not consistant. Bevo I think you were OK from TN to Va but not in DC.

There are several guides out there to help you wade thru this crap. Here is one that seems pretty good.

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, as soon as we take off our uniform and turn in our issued weapon we are civilians as far as the law is concerned.

I took a road trip up to DC this weekend and brought my Walther with me. When I crossed the Virginia line, I became a criminal. Fuck it, you can get out of jail. You can't get out of dead.

Yes, but you can also be raped and murdered in jail (read: prison), and it happens a lot more than you'd think. Either option sounds worse than just plain ol' dying. So I own my gun and don't risk breaking the law with it. Shit, now that I'm in the people's democratic republic (didn't get this common phrase until about 2 months ago :D) of California, I practically have to take a round in a critical body part before I shoot back...

Firearms felonies are just too easy to commit if you take a lax stance with the law and I'm far too small/cute to go to prison. :eek:

statesman

pilot
People's Democratic Republic of Kalifornia,

Fixed it for you...

profilepic14996_3.gif

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yes, but you can also be raped and murdered in jail (read: prison), and it happens a lot more than you'd think. Either option sounds worse than just plain ol' dying. So I own my gun and don't risk breaking the law with it. Shit, now that I'm in the people's democratic republic (didn't get this common phrase until about 2 months ago :D) of California, I practically have to take a round in a critical body part before I shoot back...

Firearms felonies are just too easy to commit if you take a lax stance with the law and I'm far too small/cute to go to prison. :eek:

That's alright, just wait for when the municipalities can't afford to pay for their police force anymore. When they can't float a bond because they have a credit rating lower than dirt, and there's no more cops willing to work for free or IOUs, the "laws" regarding the rights to protect one's property and life will eventually line up with logic.