• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Hey, baby, help me lube my barrel?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't believe I'm actually starting a [GUN] thread. Quick question for you gun nuts...

The other day I was shooting my .45 w/ my dad and then had the joy of cleaning its 1600 pieces afterwards. On cruise, I thought I remembered the AWs cleaning and oiling the weapons w/ a much faster method than the tried and true solvent and oil method. Is there a better product, perhaps w/ a space age polymer, that makes cleaning faster, or is it still just a two stage process?

I currently clean the big pieces w/ some cleaner outside, then use good old Hobbs solvent on everything. Afterwards, I oil everything down (lightly, of course) for lube and corrossion protection. Thoughts?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're probably using good old CLP. You can buy it at your local Walmart or anywhere hunting/gun supplies are sold. Look for a black bottle, it'll say Breakfree CLP. CLP = cleaning / lubricating / preservating or something or other. I use it myself.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Second the CLP... great stuff. It's all one of buddies uses on his guns...

*Just don't do what he did and start chewing on the bottle...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
They're probably using good old CLP. You can buy it at your local Walmart or anywhere hunting/gun supplies are sold. Look for a black bottle, it'll say Breakfree CLP. CLP = cleaning / lubricating / preservating or something or other. I use it myself.

That sounds exactly like the stuff. The AOs would use the same stuff when they worked on the guns in the shop. I wasn't sure if it did both cleaning and lubing, though. Seems like it would accumulate after a while. But if it works, I'm sold. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gun thread? Did someone say gun thread....

My favorite...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CLP for all the metal coating stuff and Grease for metal-on-metal contact is my method (eg: slide rails, disconnector get grease, outside of slide, barrel gets CLP).

For a fast gun cleaner, brake cleaner works just fine and is safe for just about every gun finish I've ever dealt with. For the bore, Hoppes No.9 for the day to day work and if it's really gummed up, some Sweets 7.62 -- both are copper & powder solvents.

ps- went to a gun show today, left significantly poorer

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Squeeze

Yup, I hear you. I use Carb cleaner (essentially the same thing) for the initial rinse, then No. 9 afterwards. But if CLP will allow me to clean and oil (after the carb cleaner) at the same time, then that makes it easier. Then a little oil on the rails.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've always found that I need to use a ton of CLP if I use carb cleaner, even if I'm just going for a nice, light coat. I've heard armorers griping about people using carb cleaner and how it screws up the finish, but I've never had a problem. Not that I would ever use or condone the use of a non-USMC approved cleaning agent on my rifle/pistol. No, I would never do such a thing. Besides, spending endless hours at the armory builds character, esprit de corps, and shared hatred of that bastard armorer who sends you back to the cleaning table for a gray smudge on a q-tip.

Lawman

None
We use Balistall at the Range I go to, and by we I mean thats what they clean the range guns that see way more shooting between cleanings then mine ever do. Stuff works great on modern weapons, Id be a little careful if you've got something with wood since Im not sure what prolonged exposure would do to the finish. Works really great on places you cant get your fingers or a brush into very easily, which is pretty much all of the inside of my P7. Another good tool to have is a dentist pick, gets the caked on grime out of places you never thought about cleaning before, a real must for my .22's as the powder is just filthy.

After that just a dab of grease on and of the metal on metal parts like the slide rails and its good to go.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M14 Stock

Fly Navy said:
Nice rifle, what kind of stock?

Sorry about the delay, but had to check with my armorer before I replied.

The rifle was "built" by Andy Nelson (SEAL) who is a sniper and builts custom rifles for special clientele. This one was built for me and has a McMillan stock custom painted gray by Andy with a Kreuger barrel, a Smiths receiver (original M14 receiver sold to Israel), and is rear lugged for competition shooting. It also has a walnut stock hand finished by Andy. If any of you went through JTACC/FAC(A) syllabus at NSAWC from 96-02, you know who Andy is. For those who haven't "been there, done that", Andy is the heat.

Andy not only builds awesome rifles (not just M14s), he takes you into the desert and teaches you how to shoot like a sniper (bascially until he's satisfied you deserve it).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
thank god... I was afraid I'd have to steer another Springfield Aromry fanboy straight.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
thank god... I was afraid I'd have to steer another Springfield Aromry fanboy straight.

LOL, Andy set me straight after days in desert shooting 105mm, .50 cal, .223 and 7.62 between watching Hornets drop their loads during JTACC quals. This dates me, but I went through PLC carrying a M14 with a plastic stock and then went through TBS with brandnew M16A1. I was skewed towards weight (as in carrying your weapon and someone else's). Andy got me thinking about accuracy and feet/sec (range). After letting me fire his custom M14 sniper rifle (his version of a M21), I was a believer. He offered to build me one...how could I refuse????