• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Florida CCW

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Is the CCW an endorsement, or a separate license? IOW, do you already have to have a license to get the CCW?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Is the CCW an endorsement, or a separate license? IOW, do you already have to have a license to get the CCW?

There is no license to own a firearm in Florida, like most states. Very few states have such restrictive laws that they require a license to own a firearms. In my homestate of MA, you even need a license to own and carry pepper spray.

The Florida License to Carry a Concealed Weapon is a photo-ID, just like a driver's license.

Grant

Fly Navy said:
There is no license to own a firearm in Florida, like most states. Very few states have such restrictive laws that they require a license to own a firearms. In my homestate of MA, you even need a license to own and carry pepper spray.

The Florida License to Carry a Concealed Weapon is a photo-ID, just like a driver's license.

:word: Thats how it is in Texas too. I keep wanting to take the class to get a CHL, but school has been keeping me busy. Maybe I'll get around to it over Christmas break...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
:word: Thats how it is in Texas too. I keep wanting to take the class to get a CHL, but school has been keeping me busy. Maybe I'll get around to it over Christmas break...

On that note, the FL CCW website and application doesn't specifically state it, but a photocopy of an active military ID is permissable for the requirement for training. That being said, most military personnel I know don't know how to effectively employ a weapon. This includes Marines... great with an M-16, but that's not the same as employing a pistol in close-quarters in the civilian world. Seek out training.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You know, just as I was sitting here thinking to myself, "Self, you really need to talk to [gun-crazy fellow SNA here] about getting yourself that CCW license, especially after what went down at the Albertson's the other day," I find this thread. You, sir, are a gentleman AND a scholar.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just doing my civic duty of increasing firearms knowlege and boosting ownership. ;)

Fly Navy: What happens if you move to another duty station? I know it has reciprocity in 28 states, but if you lose your FL residency do you lose the CCW or is still good for 5 years regardless of where you move/have residency? I'm gonna get my VA CCW its 50 bucks instead of the 110 or so the FL .. plus they have to process it faster by law..

An additional question for you and all current military personnel, what do you do as you are forced to move from primary, to inter/advance in another state, and than RAG in another state. Do you continue to change your liscencse/residency (drivers lic)?

Thank you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SoICanBeFree said:
Fly Navy: What happens if you move to another duty station? I know it has reciprocity in 28 states, but if you lose your FL residency do you lose the CCW or is still good for 5 years regardless of where you move/have residency? I'm gonna get my VA CCW its 50 bucks instead of the 110 or so the FL .. plus they have to process it faster by law..

As an active duty military member, you never lose residency. I don't have property in FL, but I'm registered to vote, and my home of residence (military document) is FL. I changed residency to Florida, from Massachusetts, when I was in API (held a MA CCW license too). That being said, for the FL CCW license, it doesn't matter. They do not distinguish between resident and non-resident licenses. My CCW has my MS address on it.

An additional question for you and all current military personnel, what do you do as you are forced to move from primary, to inter/advance in another state, and than RAG in another state. Do you continue to change your liscencse/residency (drivers lic)?

I answered above already, but I'll show another example. Like I said, I'm still a legal FL resident. Registered to vote in FL, my driver's license is FL. My insurance and car registration are MS. But for the purposes of the government, I'm a FL resident. Yes, my FL driver's license has a MS address on it. That confuses some people sometimes.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fly Navy said:
In my homestate of MA, you even need a license to own and carry pepper spray.

In lovely Massachusetts, the Virginia Tech and Norwich class rings have to be registered as weapons... I think the same is true in NJ...

Gotta love those fun-loving hippie liberals...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
In lovely Massachusetts, the Virginia Tech and Norwich class rings have to be registered as weapons... I think the same is true in NJ...

Gotta love those fun-loving hippie liberals...

I am (was?) intimately familiar with MA weapons laws and I've never heard that one before. Doesn't mean it isn't true... I can definitely see that as a requirement in MA.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure about that law there are more than a few guys running around New England with Norwich permanently imprinted inot their heads. Ill never forget my freshman year when my platoon commander called us all into the hallway to describe the thrashing they gave the St Mike's rugby team. He had some skin and eyebrow stuck between the gold and the stone on his ring.
I never registered mine.
Good times

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fly Navy said:
I am (was?) intimately familiar with MA weapons laws and I've never heard that one before. Doesn't mean it isn't true... I can definitely see that as a requirement in MA.

I have a buddy that's a Norwich grad from Mass. He showed me the paperwork he had to fill out...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had the FL CCW paperwork sitting here for awhile and I just havent got around to sending it in. I need to seeing as they have the best deal for military and make it easy to get. Bonus reciprocity with NC, AZ, and TX which I'll be needing.