• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
Okay, so I just had this discussion w/ a very anti-gun left winger at my office about guns. It ran the gamut of typical arguments associated w/ this type of talk. My take on gun control is essentially this:

If you can show me an effective method to remove firearms from the criminals who shouldn't have them without infringing on my rights afforded by the Constitution, then I'm all for it.

Call it gun control, call it whatever you want, but that is the key issue. And obviously that's just about impossible. I don't think that current gun laws do this and most proposed ideas only further infringe on the rights to own firearms, which I don't feel is effective.

Its such an emotional issue on both sides of the fence and i just wanted to see what others think out there. Any good thoughts?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Mandatory sentencing is a great start in my opinion. Some states have enacted the mandatory 5 year sentence (federal) for a violent gun crime, with a mandatory life sentence for a repeat offense.

Good way to take criminals off the street, or at least to dicourage the use of a firearm during a crime. NRA is a supporter of this measure as well, but some people don't like it for some reason.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hippie liberals don't like laws and regulations that actually. Hippy liberals also want to get rid of guns... except for themselves.

P.S. This is a fairly hot topic, though most on this board are ok... but I'd suggest taking it to a gun forum, not this forum. That's just me.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Here are some links ...

https://fpc.state.fl.us/10-20-life.htm (note the 26.4% decrease)

http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/exile/index.cfm (40% reduction in Richmond, where the program began)

www.jtbf.org/Know Your Rights/KYR Criminal2.pdf (see quote)
Mandatory minimum gun laws base
punishment on the fact that someone, not
necessarily the defendant, used or threatened
to use a weapon during a drug or violent crime.
If a firearm is used, carried or helps the
commission of a drug crime a mandatory
minimum penalty could be given. The
punishment increases depending on the number
of prior convictions the defendant has. The
minimum sentence is 5 years. If anyone fired a
gun during the crime, the minimum sentence is
10 years. If the defendant had a prior conviction
for a similar offense, the minimum sentence is
25 years. Persons convicted of possession of a
weapon who have three prior convictions for
violent crimes, such as armed robbery and
burglary of a residence or felony drug offenses
face a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Fly, you might be right ... people do get highly emotional about this and perhaps this isn't the place for it, I just can't see why putting criminals away is bad, but some people like to pick and choose the laws they obey ...

Anyway, consider the above informational, and I don't plan on arguing with anyone about this ... how about that? ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
Fly, you might be right ... people do get highly emotional about this and perhaps this isn't the place for it, I just can't see why putting criminals away is bad, but some people like to pick and choose the laws they obey ...

This board is generally ok with it, but there are some on here that need an "ignorance re-aligment". I just don't want the headache associated with this thread on this board.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bigsur009 said:
Okay, so I just had this discussion w/ a very anti-gun left winger at my office .... Any ... thoughts?

1. Talking with him/her -- That was your mistake.
2. It won't get any better by continuing to talk with him/her.
3. The "guy" hasn't been mugged yet --- when his/her turn comes, he/she will turn into a rabid pro-gun, pistol packin' Nazi. That's a constant with Lib/left-wingers ... their enthusiasm for their "cause".
4. Don't talk with him/her until they have been mugged.

gun1.jpeg
colt45_f.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No -- got one just like it; hard chrome, with old -- and real -- ivory grips. ... something happened to the other pix -- oh, well

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Because it sounds like you guys are going to end this thread, let me get my .02 in. I have done a myriad of research on the topic for several classes in the past. First of all, let it be stated that gun control, and abolishing guns are two entirely different things, although many would argue that they are hand in hand. Throughout my research, I noticed two examples of abolishment that stood out:

Switzerland: Each household is required to possess an assault rifle. Lowest crime rates of any nation in the world.

Australia: Recently abolished all firearms, 36% spike in crime (primarily theft) after the first year, and on its current track, is set to be the nation with the most crime (per capita) than any nation in 2007.

That throws out the argument that guns create crime. I would argue that guns deter crime. With all this being said, I am FOR limited gun control. By gun control, I mean having certain laws that punish the parent whos 4 year old picked up his dad's .45 and killed himself, because daddy didnt lock it up or keep the ammunition separate. This does happen quite frequently, and I feel that there is NO excuse for it.

Keeping guns out of the hands of unknowledgable children is important, hence why I also feel that firearm safety should be taught at a young age. Other than that, shoot away.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Godspeed said:
By gun control, I mean having certain laws that punish the parent whos 4 year old picked up his dad's .45 and killed himself, because daddy didnt lock it up or keep the ammunition separate. This does happen quite frequently, and I feel that there is NO excuse for it.

Lack of education and lack of responsibility. Granted, tough to educate a 4 year old on gun safety. That being said, I don't agree with mandatory "lock your guns" laws. Just like I don't agree with mandatory motorcycle helmet laws (not that I wouldn't wear one, of course I would!). It's your house. Also, punishing daddy when his 4 year old son kills himself.... don't you think he'll life with his own self punishing for the rest of his entire life. Oh, I forgot, gone is that method of thinking in America.

P.S. Not many 4 year olds can actuate the controls on your typical handgun. THAT is a fact.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Got this from the same source as A4 got his.

Attachments

• me.JPG
    me.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 110

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't proper gun control:

1. Taking a breath in, letting 1/2 of it out, and smoothly squeezing the trigger?
2. Being suprised when it fires because you made a smooth steady pull of the trigger?
3. Not allowing the barrel to jump too high on successive shots?
4. Properly leading a moving target?

Just my .02 on it. Of course I'm just a former cop & gun junkie... :icon_tong

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Isn't proper gun control:

1. Taking a breath in, letting 1/2 of it out, and smoothly squeezing the trigger?
2. being suprised when it fires because you made a smooth steady pull of the trigger?
3. not allowing the barrel to jump too high on successive shots?
4. Being able to properly lead a moving target?

Just my .02 on it. Of course I'm just a former cop & gun junkie...

Also:

5. Hitting what you're shooting at.

6. Using both hands (weaver and isosceles stance of course).

I like how you think Hoover ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.