• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guidance in becoming a Naval Aviatior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank683

Although a sophomore in high school, I have already decided upon a career in the United States Armed Forces (not Army, though). Granted, my heavy interest in aviation means I am more inclined towards becoming a naval aviator. I start to get doubtful when considering which branch to join. I see myself as more of a future Marine than anything else, and would rather be a great aviator with a good aircraft than the other way around (not criticizing the Air Force pilots, but that seems to be the trend). However, another factor, albeit a minor one, is that the planes I am most interested in are under the Air Force (B2 and F22 primarily) and if I was not selected as a pilot I would be more than glad to become a Submarine officer, among other Navy occupations, since Air Traffic Control is for enlisted personnel. I also am more of a fixed-wing/tilt-rotor type of person. I currently do not see ship life as much of an issue and am considering USNA (though applying for both it and USAFA) as my commissioning source. Or Embry-Riddle NROCT.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
So, I am assuming you want to know if you should go Air Force or Navy/Marines? There are more NAVAL aviators on here so be ready to get a very one sided view. Also, the NAVY is getting something similar to the F-22, it is called the F-35, we should have those by the time you are ready to commission so think about that one as well.
Good luck with your decision making, but remember this; when I was your age I wanted to be an Air Force pilot more than anything in this world, 12 years later I find myself on the path of being a Naval Aviator, so things in life change and you never know where you might end up. So, don't rush to it, take your time focus on school apply to the Naval Academy and to the Air Force Academy and see where life takes you.

Frank683

Sorry, there was not a question. I guess it was which service should I join?

Oh, I am aware of the existance of the JSF and the Marines are getting it too, and yeah, i figured there would be some bias.

GreenLantern330

Just to let you know the F-22s have gone under a major downsize. By the time you graduate high school and then college, it'll be impossible to fly one. Obama decided to stick with F-35s if I recall correctly.

I mean I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about this in the newspapers last summer.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd like to help you out, but I'm just a lowly Naval Aviator that flies SH-60F/HH-60H's. Let me know if you are curious about helos....

I'll let this go for a bit, we haven't had one like these in a while.......

Frank683

Actually, I do recognize it takes some cojones to fly in some of the conditions helo aviators (not sure of the proper term) are presented. Oh, I have a question, do all Seahawk aviators get trained in combat and rescue, sub hunting, and all other types of missions or are they "specialized"? And do you attend SERE since helos typically won't go as far in behind enemy lines as jets? Finally, have you ever had to fly in pitch-dark?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
You may not have used the search function, but I gotta give you props for researching all this at this point in your life when most of your buds don't have a damn clue what they want to do. I'll do my best to give you some information. All Naval Aviators whether Helo, Tailhook, or P-3 are considered Naval Aviators. In order to become a Naval Aviator do your best in highschool so you can make the grade and get a NROTC Scholarship or USNA appointment. If you want insane parties, ladies, and freedom go to a college with ROTC. If you want to graduate from a place stacked with Tradition, History, and an amazing alumni network go to the USNA. Once in one of those programs do your best to be #1 so that you can have the best shot at getting a spot in flight school. If all you give a f#$k about is flying then go to embry riddle so you can be even better at flying once you get to flight school.

As for Navy Vs. Airforce:

NAVY: You can not be selected to fly UAVs at this point. You will fly SH-60s, F-18s, E-2's, P-3s, P-8s, or maybe F-35s. What you fly will be dependent on performance as well as what the Navy has available at the time you select. You may trap and launch off "The BOAT," and you will be a part of a brotherhood of Aviators ranging from age 21-90+. I've only been in this gig for a short time, and I would not trade it for a damn thing.

As for the Airforce: Sorry I don't know much except that you can get drafted for UAVs, and we can drink them under the table.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you. PM me if you have any questions.

-Ducky

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, I do recognize it takes some cojones to fly in some of the conditions helo aviators (not sure of the proper term) are presented. Oh, I have a question, do all Seahawk aviators get trained in combat and rescue, sub hunting, and all other types of missions or are they "specialized"? And do you attend SERE since helos typically won't go as far in behind enemy lines as jets? Finally, have you ever had to fly in pitch-dark?

1. No, not all helo aviators are trained in CSAR and ASW. It will depend on the mission set of your specific community/squadron.

2. I am a Naval Aviator, therefore I went to SERE.

3. Yes, I fly in pitch dark all the time. Oddly enough a helicopter flies the same, day or night....

Frank683

Is is possible to fly the SR71 or the SU-37 for the US Military?

I do recognize we have the greatest airplanes in the world, ranging from air superiority (F-22, F-35) to stealth bombers (B2) and the greatest helicopters in existence, but I was just curious. And you have to admit, the Terminator is a beautiful piece of work.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The space shuttle is also closed for selection this year as well.

I'm going to nip this in the bud before it goes completely off the rails.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Door gunner on the space shuttle is still available, however. Slots are competitive, as the shuttle program winds down.

Status
Not open for further replies.