• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guam - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Sabre170

None
I have orders to Guam :snorkel_1 and am looking for any and all info. I have a good sponsor who has given a lot of great information; I am just looking for other opinions about the move and place.

- Did you take stuff you didn't need?
- Did you leave stuff in storage that you wished you would have brought?
- How was the process of shipping a car?
- Married? Did your family enjoy it?
- Besides diving what else is there to do?
- How is base housing (Navy base, not Andersen)?
- How Aviation friendly is Guam (assuming it is more SWO centric).
- How easy is it to grab a military hop for Leave?
- Things to see/do (besides G-Spot:icon_wink)?
- Any sea stories are appreciated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What's wrong with G spot? Where else are you going to meet nice, wholesome, American girls on the island? :)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You can also hang out with the Bogeyspotter and dive on underwater WW2 wreckage together.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have orders to Guam :snorkel_1 and am looking for any and all info. I have a good sponsor who has given a lot of great information; I am just looking for other opinions about the move and place.

- Things to see/do (besides G-Spot:icon_wink)?
- Any sea stories are appreciated.

I took warm clothes: you don't need them until/unless you'll be deploying somewhere cold.

I left nothing in storage. There's nothing I would imagine you'd want to leave in storage, unless you have tons of furniture or something that you won't need living on base etc.

I didn't feel like shipping my relatively new car overseas only to have it get destroyed in 3 years, so I sold it in the states for a good price and bought a shitty boonie car. That being said, if you DO ship your car over here, SELL it HERE. Cars will draw a MUCH higher selling price in Guam than the states. People have much lower standards and look past a lot of things that would reduce the price of a car stateside.

Single, but I know the married mafia all live on base and the knives club is close-knit. Good group that looks after each other.

Diving is great (or so I hear, I've only snorkeled so far). There is also hiking and HASHING (if you don't know what that is, you will). There is a waterpark, fishing trips, the tumon district nightlife, weekend trips to Saipan/Palau, etc. TONS of outdoor stuff to do.

No clue about Navy housing. It LOOKS nicer than Andersen, but no clue how the inside is or the services/electrical/water.

It is Aviation friendly around here, but probably a lot moreso up at Andersen. Never really don't much down at Big Navy other than admin crap or going to the exchange/commissary but never been attacked by a group of SWOs either.

I saw a dude wait 3 days for a MAC flight at the terminal at AAFB, but there are a lot of flights going in and out. It's like anywhere else: a gamble. Depends on your priority code and pure luck. Could have a deploying until taking all the seats on a C-130, or could be 5 dudes at the terminal and an empty C-5.

There is a ton of history in Guam and the CNMI in general dating to WWII specifically to see. Haven't seen much of it myself, but have heard from other people and seen pictures. Pretty neat stuff from what I hear. Also, go see the viking and drive the ship.

I can't tell any sea-stories, or else all of AW will have a collective head-explosion. Any other specific questions, feel free to PM and I'll find you an answer if I don't have one. I'm on a boat on friday, but feel free to contact me until then. After that, it may take a while for me to get internets.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My husband and I have been living in Guam for close to 2.5 years now. We love it! I'll go ahead and answer your questions and I'm sure when my husband, Ben, has time, he'll swing by and give you his thoughts. In the meantime, here are mine:

Not really. We purged what we didn't want to take. But we would do that before any big move.

Nope. We didn't store anything. One thing about Guam though is that in general, it is harder to get stuff out here, so if there's something you remotely think you might need, bring it. I can't tell you how many times I've thought of something we need only to not be able to find it out here and have to try to find a way to get it shipped from the States. I'd hate to see what we've paid to USPS these last 2+ years.

Easy? We dropped the vehicle off, my husband took leave and we visited our families for one big goodbye before we moved to the other side of the world. A couple of weeks later, we were on a flight to Guam. I want to say we were only here a few days before our truck arrived. On a related note: we were told you can totally get by with one vehicle here, especially if you live on base and I've definitely thought it's quite doable. I sold my car before we moved out here and it was a great decision. We brought my husband's truck and it's been very good to us. No issues with Guam damage to it at all.

On a somewhat related note, while shipping a car was pretty painless, household goods was moderately frustrating. Our goods took a decent chunk of time to get to us mainly because customs took a while to get through checking everything. And just fyi, our Express shipment got here AFTER our HHG.

Yep. Like I said above, we love it. The pace of life out here is definitely slower and there are things that get frustrating about the island. But overall, we love the island, the experience, the squadron, etc. We went from a family of two to a family of three out here. I can't speak for how things are in the squadron obviously, but I think we have a great group of wives and girlfriends. Your friends become your family in a community like this overseas.

Some of the best hiking in the world and hashing! And the location of the island is awesome for traveling. Asia and Australia are short, cheap flights away along with a smorgasboard of other travel options, like Palau and Fiji. In general, the people out here are VERY social. Lots of parties, bbq's, sports leagues, etc.

We live on Andersen and like it a lot. This is our third military base we've lived on. Can't speak for the Navy base, but I do have friends there and I think their houses are a little nicer than ours. And they get garages! They have the better commissary, we have the newer BX (but I think their NEX has a better selection.) Their movie theater shows movies for free and ours charges $4. Ok, that's not even housing related anymore... sorry.

Well, we live on Andersen Air Force Base, so it's very friendly here. :) I'm sure someone else can fill you in on that.

I've done this several times and never had a single issue. As an unaccompanied spouse, I was one of the lower categories/priority and traveling was a breeze. I have always tried to travel at unpopular times though. Basically, if the kids are in school, it's easy. When they're out, getting a flight is definitely more difficult. Overall, if you're smart about when you travel, a military hop is super easy from here. I've never had problems hopping back here either, but again, I haven't tried traveling at peak times.

- Things to see/do (besides G-Spot)?
I think I mainly answered that up above. Diving, hiking, exploring the island. Enjoying life with all the friends you make out here. Playing sports, going to movies, exploring the nightlife. Traveling.

Obviously, I have no sea stories. My husband has deployed twice, one time to the desert. In our 2.5 years here, he's been deployed for easily over half that time. As a spouse, I've had a great experience out here. The community is tight knit, your friends really do become surrogate families and we have never, even for a moment, regretted coming out here. Except for maybe when we found out Joboy was coming out here. ;) But that's neither here nor there.

Good luck with your move! Here's to hoping you love Guam as much as we have.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When Bogey isn't flying his helicopter around....this is what I picture. [Insert local Guamanian for Brooke Shields]

blue_lagoon.jpg
christopher-atkins-blue-lagoon-photograph-c10103280.jpeg