• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground to Air @ TBS?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, some waivers are better than others, and specific aviation waivers will obviously look worse than a tattoo waiver for instance. There are however too many waivers to even attempt to go through the list so best bet would be to ask your OSO...

Wait, what? No. A waiver is a yes/no deal. There is no matter of more or less qualified for an aviation slot depending on if you have a waiver or not. I had to go through getting a PRK waiver at TBS while the initial study group/waiver process was in its relative infancy. It did not adversely affect my application process nor did it influence my MOS selection. It's an all or nothing thing -- you are either qualified for air or you are not.

Granted, some waivers require a lot more legwork to get, but that's up to you really. If your OSO isn't willing to help you get waivers that you are qualified for (assuming you don't need a waiver for everything in the book), fire him and find someone else.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Wait, what? No. A waiver is a yes/no deal. There is no matter of more or less qualified for an aviation slot depending on if you have a waiver or not. I had to go through getting a PRK waiver at TBS while the initial study group/waiver process was in its relative infancy. It did not adversely affect my application process nor did it influence my MOS selection. It's an all or nothing thing -- you are either qualified for air or you are not.

Granted, some waivers require a lot more legwork to get, but that's up to you really. If your OSO isn't willing to help you get waivers that you are qualified for (assuming you don't need a waiver for everything in the book), fire him and find someone else.

Ok, clearly something came across wrong, so here I go again. If there is 1 slot and 15 Lt's who are ALL qualified for aviation then the SPCs and Company staff have some leeway on swinging things a certain way. That said, if one person has a waiver for something, say a waiver for a somewhat serious aviation related condition and another Lt only has a waiver for a tattoo then the SPCs will "could" work with the numbers to get the person they feel best gets the slot...

Happened in my company to some extent (REALIZE THAT I DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW ALL OF THE DETAILS THERE EITHER)...but that was how it was explained to me...

But yes, you either do have a waiver or don't...you either are qualified or you are not...its not that someone else is more qualified...but it may be that your staff decides someone else should get the slot, potentially based on number and type of waivers...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Thanks for the info on the waiver issue.

At TBS, would you be more competitive (assuming similar TBS ranking) if you had already taken the ASTB and had an air physical, or do they give everyone an opportunity and have an "open mind?" In that same vein, would it be wise to retake the ASTB (first score 62 OAR, 7/7/7) at TBS to be more competitive, or is that score OK and TBS grades/rankings are more important? I've heard it is risky to retake the ASTB because only the new score will be reported, even if it is lower.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Do as much as you can prior to TBS (flight physical, ASTB, etc), and try to avoid waivers. True that with a waiver, you are qualified. On the other hand, most company XO's (who generally hate doing all the air contract work) will not bend over backwards to get some guy a waiver (for whatever reason) if he has a multitude of air-candidates that do NOT require a waiver. Or, think of it this way: unless the XO is an aviator, he does not want to help you get an air contract, and will appreciate you making his job easier by having all that squared away.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...most company XO's (who generally hate doing all the air contract work) will not bend over backwards to get some guy a waiver (for whatever reason) if he has a multitude of air-candidates that do NOT require a waiver. Or, think of it this way: unless the XO is an aviator, he does not want to help you get an air contract, and will appreciate you making his job easier by having all that squared away.

When I applied for and got my PRK waiver while at TBS, the waiver process in NO WAY involved the company staff. It was done solely between myself, the flight doc, and NOMI/NAMI in Pcola.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
They had all those interested in picking up an air contract at TBS take the ASTB and physical well before selection time. I'm not familiar with the whole concept of being pre-qualified, but it seems that everyone interested was given ample opportunity to go for it. Like everyone has said, competition for these positions is fierce...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
When I applied for and got my PRK waiver while at TBS, the waiver process in NO WAY involved the company staff. It was done solely between myself, the flight doc, and NOMI/NAMI in Pcola.

I think what he was talking about sir was the fact that one has to work with the staff to get permission to be away from the Company for any length of time...all appointments and so forth...with some companies the XO makes the appointment for you, you just ask him in general for the appointment. Some other companies the XO will actually help you out to make sure all the paperwork is done and you don't fall through the cracks...

Jay

When I applied for and got my PRK waiver while at TBS, the waiver process in NO WAY involved the company staff.
What about the Candidate Company Staff?!:icon_tong

Just so my post isn't totally worthless, my class had 5 SNA's and 4 NFO slots, all but 1 of the SNA slots went to people who already had the entire application process finished for SNA, but didn't get picked up there time around.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I'd already taken the ASTB prior to getting to TBS. My company had 4 SNA, and 2 NFO positions available. I had a physical, (I just was lazy and didn't get the flight guarantee before TBS) and put SNA as my top choice for MOS.
Of the 4 slots, only 2 people got one. The other two that tried were NPQ'd for one reason or another. If you've got all the pre-req's in order to be an aviator, then go for it...

I was Bravo '04.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Thanks for the info.

One last question: is it worth taking the ASTB again once at TBS (since it can be competitive to get an Air slot at TBS) or is it more important to focus on acing TBS? I got a 62 OAR and 7/7/7 first time around.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Not sure what those scores mean, but if your ASTB is sufficient for a flight contract, don't let a re-take come between you and "aceing" TBS (if there is such a thing). What you'll learn there is far more important than a few extra points on a test.

Ric Hard

I was accepted on a ground contract for OCC 194. I am hoping for the best. Hopefully, I can turn Ground into Air. I know it's a big risk but God willing this will all work out.

Cheeks10

What most of these replies aren't taking into account (this is pretty recent info) is that the SNA mission - the Recruiting Command's term for quota - for 07 was just reduced for PLC and is non-existent for OCC. Sounds like you know that, but it doesn't look good for improvement. You have to ask yourself if you want to be a Marine first, then Aviator. If yes, pull the trigger...if not, maybe the Army's WO program is a possibility? Good luck.

thull

What most of these replies aren't taking into account (this is pretty recent info) is that the SNA mission - the Recruiting Command's term for quota - for 07 was just reduced for PLC and is non-existent for OCC. Sounds like you know that, but it doesn't look good for improvement. You have to ask yourself if you want to be a Marine first, then Aviator. If yes, pull the trigger...if not, maybe the Army's WO program is a possibility? Good luck.

The info I had from my recruiter was that OCC 194 and 195 are filled for Air, but no info on 196 yet. Also, are you saying that there will for sure be no Air openings at TBS from Air candidates who attrite at OCC?

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
In D-Co, we have 2 NFO and 1 Pilot. They went to prior service Marines (who tend to do better initially and have higher scores when selection comes around) and yes, competition was fierce, company staff gunned for their favorites and a lot of people were bitterly dissapointed.
From your perspective, it probably seems like you need to sign up 'right now', but wait if you can for the guaranteed air slot.

OMHO

Cheers
Seth