• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground to air at TBS?

Vanguard

I'm just assuming this is the place to put this thread. If any mods have a more appropriate place, please do move it, as I'd like all the help that can come.

Alright, so the sitrep is like this... I wanted to get in on an air contract instead of ground (don't get me wrong, if ground is the only thing I can do, then ground I shall, but I'm certainly not going to just not try), but my eyes are 20/20 and 20/25, and that one little damn 25 is keeping me out of an air contract. This is the only thing holding it out of reach, as I've already completed OCS, keep demolishing my quarterly PFTs, and Ive taken the ASTB with a score of 6 6 8.

I've been talking to my OSA and she told me that the option she would recommend (and the good Ssgt has never steered me wrong) is that I keep on my ground contract for now and head off to TBS. When I'm at TBS, since there will certainly be Marines with more experience as well as some aviators on b-billets or the like, she says I should talk down there about the possibility of switching. That with my test score and the fact that I'll be a Marine instead of a candidate, I might have a path to air still.

I know PRK is at least an option, however, if I were to do that now, then it creates a **** ton of work for the OSS to complete, with the 6 month post-op period, it could create probs with my commissioning, and if there were complications, then it could keep me out of the Corps period, and I don't honestly want to risk that. This is my life and my career both that I'm working on putting together here after all.

Okay, that all said, the question is: Does anyone here have any personal or near-personal experience with this situation (switching contracts at TBS), know any other resources or such that I should check, or have any particular advice they deem relevant?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
20/25 is still within the standards of vision for aviators. Anyone who says that DQs you is ignorant.

A ground-air contract switch isn't an option once at TBS (to my knowledge), but there exists the chance that your company could have some open 7599/7580 MOS slots for the MOS-assignment clusterfvck. There is no guarantee that they will be available, so your best bet is to go in with an air contract.

I went to TBS on a ground contract after timing factors prevented securing an air contract post-PRK during my senior year. Thankfully, there were two 7599 slots and four 7580 slots available for selection. It managed to work out for me and now I'm flying, but your mileage may vary.

If you want an air contract, get an air contract. Don't go in as a ground pounder expecting to pick up an aviation MOS. Your "good SSgt" may have never steered you wrong, but he/she doesn't know all the ins/outs of the officer MOS process first hand.

/my relevant .02

Vanguard

squeeze said:
20/25 is still within the standards of vision for aviators. Anyone who says that DQs you is ignorant.

I just realized that I should clarify this in case there is some confusion. My 20/25 is corrected. As in, according to the docs, my vision is currently not 20/20 correctable in my right eye. Let me know if that changes your advice or not.

If not, then could you recommend any certain course to try and push the air issue more? I'm already due to meet up with a couple Capts from the office, but I'd like to go in prepared, knowing all my possible contacts if you will.

And thanks for the input, I'm .02 richer now. =P

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
You really have to kick a** at TBS if you want to grab one of the few flight slots they have when it comes to MOS Selection.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMCBebop said:
You really have to kick a** at TBS if you want to grab one of the few flight slots they have when it comes to MOS Selection.

No, you just have to fall out appropriately in the thirds business.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Shooting for the VERY top

squeeze said:
No, you just have to fall out appropriately in the thirds business.
Very true. But if you're at the very top of the class (like numbers 1 to 3), I'd say you've "fallen out on the thirds business" pretty good.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in a TBS class of 225, you don't shoot for the 76th or 151st spots (both the top of their respective "thirds") now would you? You always try to shoot for the top. Anywhere else, you're pretty much at the luck of the draw.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
USMCBebop said:
Very true. But if you're at the very top of the class (like numbers 1 to 3), I'd say you've "fallen out on the thirds business" pretty good.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in a TBS class of 225, you don't shoot for the 76th or 151st spots (both the top of their respective "thirds") now would you? You always try to shoot for the top. Anywhere else, you're pretty much at the luck of the draw.

Yes, but that still leaves a great deal to chance. The 5th guy in our Company wanted air, and missed out due to the fact that we had only one spot. The competition at TBS is tough, and there will more than likely be more guys wanting air than there are spots open. Trying to shoot for that top spot is important, but how many guys do you think share that same mindset? Its good to want to finish high, but why chance it when you can get the switch made before even reporting? It is MUCH easier to switch your contract before reporting to OCS/TBS, and leaves much less to chance. If you really prefer the flight contract, be it SNA of SNFO, try to get it taken care of before reporting.

Raptor2216

My roommate here at TBS is a Delta Co. grad who just completed IFS. He was a ground contract when he started TBS but switched to air when MOS selection came around. He told me that he was just very lucky to make the cut because there were guys in his company who had a better standing but they needed waivers for medical issues. He lucked out in the fact that he didn't have any need for waivers. Anyway, your everysight issue could be a problem if you try to switch here and if there are limited spots, your standing may not help you out at all. So, my advice is that you get this sorted out before you show up for TBS.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Vanguard said:
...she told me that the option she would recommend (and the good Ssgt has never steered me wrong) is that I keep on my ground contract for now and head off to TBS...

...then it creates a **** ton of work for the OSS to complete...

perhaps the reasoning behind the advice??

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
scotty008 said:
Its good to want to finish high, but why chance it when you can get the switch made before even reporting? It is MUCH easier to switch your contract before reporting to OCS/TBS, and leaves much less to chance. If you really prefer the flight contract, be it SNA of SNFO, try to get it taken care of before reporting.
I totally agree, but I was explaining how to grab that air contract if you were commissioned without one. I was responding to squeeze.

Vanguard

Slammer2 said:
perhaps the reasoning behind the advice??

Good point, haha. I guess I'm one of the only guys in the office who hasn't given her a headache and she probably wants to keep it that way, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the advice so far all... I think I have a real good understanding of the switch at TBS now unfortunately. =P

stevew

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but 20/25 vision is okay as long as it is correctable to 20/20. If you are 20/25 but not correctable to 20/20 you may be NPQ's for that, I don't even know if a waiver exists in that instance, I've never heard of one, but doesn't mean there isn't one. Assuming you are qualified for air with the waiver, why wait till TBS to pick up the contract, get it now so that you don't have to compete for it at TBS.