• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Greetings from NYC

Five_OH

Ladies and gents, this New Yorker bids you good evening. This is my first post, and I’d like to begin by saying thanks to all of those who have provided me with tons of reading material over these last few month. Rest assured, I’ve lived vicariously through many of you.

I am a prospective DCO (Intel) applicant, at the starting stages of my "application". I use quotes because, quite literally, I've only recently made contact with a recruiter who requested my resume after a brief phone conversation...so I may not even be deemed worthy upon his review. Knocking on wood!

Essentially, I'm looking to preemptively gather all I may need to ease the process down the line if given the opportunity to move forward (i.e. medical records from LASIK, surgeries), as well as absorb as much knowledge as possible. In that respect, any advice would be appreciated...do's or don'ts, anything you all may have learned through hindsight. I've lurked on literally hundreds of threads, but am unsure as to what may or may not still apply, as some threads are rather dated. Some "checklist docs" which may prove helpful turnout to be dead links, likely due to age.

A little about myself: 28/male/non-prior

Professional:

As the user name would imply, I’m in the field of law enforcement. Just under 7 years total with NYPD, currently a sergeant. I’ve been assigned to our Intel division working in international counter-terrorism intelligence for the past 2 years, patrol prior to that. I do have on-site, international experience in this regards working with foreign LE partners in the terror fight, as well as a number of US alphabet soup agencies. This includes writing intelligence analyses for our executives and responding to major events, one of which I've supervised.

While many people may not be a aware, the department has quite a robust Intel/CT shop with capabilities and resources one would not expect from a municipal agency. Having been a teen right here in NYC on 9/11, I've been honored to be a part of its efforts. Anyhow, I digress. While not a critical need language, I am also fluent in French (read/speak/write).

Education:

-BA in History, CUNY Queens College (3.4 GPA)

-MPA, CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice (In-progress, looking at Fall 2015/Spring 2016 completion: 3.85 GPA)

-Graduate Certificate: Police Leadership (John Jay College, 12 credits)

To be competitive, I feel I may need to gain more leadership and overall experience over the next year in my division, as well as to finish my degree. While I feel I need to wait to be truly competitive, maybe I’m just over thinking it. Ultimately, I'll allow myself to be guided by the recruiter, that is, if I'm given the light of day.

I am in no particular rush, and want to take the time to make myself a better candidate. If there's one thing Intel taught me, it's patience. I also will likely need to devote a HUGE amount of time to study for the OAR, so that’s a factor as well. I am probably at the same math level as my kid brother. I did see in a 2012 thread that it was no longer required for the reserves, but I assumed that was erroneous since many posts after that mention it as being a requirement. Nevertheless, I'll need the hit the books.

Anyhow, so concludes my diatribe. While I don't presently have much to contribute just yet, I wanted to introduce myself. Once again, thanks for all the advice I've garnered from AW. Be safe out there.

Five_OH

Thirteen

Five_OH -

I am a NYC resident and very familiar with your organization and your education background. I commissioned two years ago, and from what I have seen you make a good candidate. I will send you a PM.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Greetings and salutations from Ohio, Five_OH!

mad dog
(former Cincinnati Police)