• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Great source for ASTB

Medianoche

As the person above you stated, he wanted to take the test again. I would honestly go out and buy officer candidate test books and ASTB books from a book store or Amazon. I found that the repetition of practice tests helped.

The actual ASTB felt relatively close to the practice test, I think that taking the actual test added stress, thus makes it harder. I also found the math to be hard for me personally, but doing the problems over and over certainly helped me with time. Just prep for the test, you will do great. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

I have been practicing for the math problems from my GRE test prep book. Albeit I took the GRE several years ago, I would say that the math problems in the GRE and ASTB are similar. The math in the GRE is a bit larger and covers a wider range, then the ASTB, but nonetheless it helps. As well the math on both tests is not really focusing on the solving itself, but more so you know the shortcuts to retrieve the correct answer. Does that make sense? That's why these tests are timed. I take my test tomorrow and I feel as though the resources here, the practice tests, study guides and books all helped. Thank you!

courtliz

The mechanical and reading sections are very good practice for the ASTB: focus on the concepts and you will be fine.

Which study guide did you use for the Mechanical section? I feel like with every study guide I find, there is more and more information that people say I should know.

December 11 is when packages have to be in by. I think selection is the beginning of January, with results shortly after.

Please let me know if I am wrong with this process as I think this is what I have deduced from talking with my OR.

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
Which study guide did you use for the Mechanical section? I feel like with every study guide I find, there is more and more information that people say I should know.

I used several guides, Barron's and Peterson's, as well as searching for mechanical comprehension on this site which brings up several links to great guides. The big thing is the overall concept such as gearing ratio's, pulley mechanics, and combustion engine fundamentals, to name a few.

Hopefully this helps, I will try to assist if you have any more questions. Happy studying!

The mechanical section was very different than any of the study guides I had seen previously. One question asked how to write a certain number in binary code. A lot of simple machine questions and basic automotive knowledge.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
For those of you who've taken the test recently, is there a lot of math on the mechanics section? Because of the major time constraint I'm nervous about having to do calculations in such a short time.

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I wasn't so bad for me. Just seriously, take the initiative to learn how to solve the problems and time yourself taking practice tests. When you go in to take the test, just relax.. be confident, and know you're the man. This test is crucial but it's only a part of your total package. You'll do great!

For those of you who've taken the test recently, is there a lot of math on the mechanics section? Because of the major time constraint I'm nervous about having to do calculations in such a short time.

JohnH

I'm using the OASC part to review math, but I noticed there is no Mechanical parts. I also found the AFOQT and the SIFT practice tests (both or which are similar to the ASTB) but I can't find the ASTB practice test online through the original link? I tried all the branch links but I can't find a link. Am I just blind or is it not there?

gussybudget

I found this website and found that it had practice tests for the ASTB. It shows your weak areas as well as strong ones by each section in the test. I also found the electronic version of the 8th edition Peterson's Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests and 8th edition Master the Officer Candidate Tests on there. Pretty nifty!

Cheers

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/
The page no longer exists- do you know where it might be located now? Thank you