• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Graduating Early (?) / wait time to TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

penderwt

yut king
I'm thinking of making the push to graduate a semester early...from what i've heard, May graduates usually end up gettin to TBS sometime between late July and October. My guess is the wait might be considerably shorter if I graduate in December. Did anyone out there get commissioned in December? if so, how long did you wait b4 getting to TBS? thanks

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
Im gonna be graduating in Dec. 06 but im Ground Contract. when could i expect to go to TBS?? i know its based on the Needs of the Corps and what's open when but GENERALLY speaking.

itoh

I graduted Dec last year, got commissioned in March, worked PTAD for my OSO for 90 days or so then went to Delta. I had orders for Charlie Company (Mid April), then got my orders changed to Delta (Mid June) by the warrant officer at HQMC.

I believe it depends on your commissioning program and your contract. I think Charlie had too many aviators or something so they bumped me back to Delta since I was already on PTAD and I was PLC split. If you're PLC though, graduating in December is way better. the PLC guys get the shaft when it comes to TBS dates, so if you graduate in May, you're behind the OCC, ROTC, MECEPs, and Academy grads so you'll sit on your hands until Fox or Alpha. Some people get lucky, but if you can push to graduate a semester early, I'd recommend it. Also, if you can put in for PTAD, that was also an awesome experience, not to mention a good way to make a few bucks before you head out to The Big Suck.

Good luck,
-Itoh

usmcecho4

pilot
Graduated in May 04 picked up with Alpha 04. Got commissioned in August 04 so the wait wasn't that bad. However, the wait for commissioning took forever (fill out your EPSQ sooner rather than later).

s/f,
usmcecho4

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
itoh said:
Some people get lucky

:)

Damn I'm glad I'm not in Alpha, heh

PTAD is (I believe) Permissive Temporary Additional Duty. I think it occurs when you have a layover in between graduation/commisioning and TBS; they'll let you work at your ROTC unit, OSO office or what have you for a certain period of time (usually 90 days) so you can start getting paid.

Having never taken PTAD, however, I could be way off.

itoh

Yeah, as Belsha said, it's a stash job between commissioning and TBS. The most common are working for an NROTC or OSO, but reserve units also supposedly have budgets for that kind of stuff, but if you're not prior, odds are they don't have much use for a boot Lt.

The longest duration is supposed to be 60 days, but mine was extended because my orders got pushed back, (I don't think I was on for quite 90), but I helped out in the office for a little while before I actually came on orders just to learn the ropes and such. It's a good experience though working with Marines, getting paid, and accruing leave. And you'll feel like you got demoted when you finally get to TBS... haha.

-itoh

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
sounds like a good gig i'll have to ask my OSO about that after i get past the first hurdle of PLC combined

itoh

I would ask about it once you've completed OCS, have a projected graduation and commissioning date. The pay comes out of the District's pocket so they have to okay it and then request the orders from HQMC which takes a minimum of 30 days, I think. But don't harass your OSO about it before it's in the near future, because the district's budget could change, or the OSO may not know if he even needs you or not.

Hope this helps,
-itoh

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
itoh said:
I would ask about it once you've completed OCS, have a projected graduation and commissioning date. The pay comes out of the District's pocket so they have to okay it and then request the orders from HQMC which takes a minimum of 30 days, I think. But don't harass your OSO about it before it's in the near future, because the district's budget could change, or the OSO may not know if he even needs you or not.

Hope this helps,
-itoh
I wouldnt be able to do it until i graduated anyways b/c of my current job. It would be perfect after i graduate to fill up my days since my job right now i work in the evenings.

lftmarine

Everyone that I know which graduated in December, is going to TBS in June. 99% of the TBS slots are saved for the OCC candidates that make it through OCS. The wait is alot shorter if you wait for the spring graduation in my opinion.

ttsareen

I am a December 04 graduate and I am also currently on PTAD. I am going to Quantico in April for IFS and then start TBS in June liek someone stated above. One thing I have learnt working at my OSO is that for all of you that have finished OCS and have a semester or less of school left get your commisioning packets finished and submitted to your OSO/district. The sooner your package is submitted the sooner you get commisioned.

UORBulldog

Can you get a paid job with your OSO after completion of OCS but prior to commission? or do you have to be a 2nd Lieutenant already? I'll have the whole school year next year to do nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.