• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Graduate School to build resume?

Park

I am 23, a college grad and have recently decided that I want to pursue a career as a military aviator. Before deciding this I was planning on attending a top ranked full-time MBA program starting soon, but am now questioning what the best pre-application path is.

I wish I could start OCS today, but if it does take a while I will apply as many times as necessary, and in the mean time I want to be improving the resume to give the best chance of becoming a pilot.

So if anybody could give an opinion on what would be the best path: I have been considering either pursuing the MBA, going back to undergrad school for a second technical major and ROTC, or enlisting for a couple years.

Thanks for your opinion.

navy09

None
but if it does take a while I will apply as many times as necessary

If you've got the background to get into a decent MBA program, you shouldn't have trouble getting picked up for OCS. You can always go back to grad school, but your window to get to OCS is closing.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So if anybody could give an opinion on what would be the best path: I have been considering either pursuing the MBA, going back to undergrad school for a second technical major and ROTC, or enlisting for a couple years.

I'll be blunt. Those are all pretty bad ideas considering you have a bachelors. Why not just apply straight to OCS? Have you explored that route?

MBA is a bad idea because it will cost you a chunk of change, plus aviator is one of the designators with the strictest age requirement (26) for non-priors. Besides, an ENS with an MBA makes the same amount as an ENS without one.

Going back for a second bachelors with ROTC is an even worse idea. You've met basic requirements, why try to get another degree? Plus, by the time you graduate, you won't be eligible for Aviator.

Enlisting. Do some searches here, it's been said over and over if your goal is to be an officer, why would you enlist first when you're qualified to apply to OCS?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't make the (very common and understandable mistake of thinking you're applying for a job that needs resume padding. It's not going to be a bunch of Navy officers looking at resumes going, "Ooh, an MBA. This is a smart mammal here."

What they really want to know is:
a. do you meet the basic requirements (age being a big one for SNA/SNFO)
b. do you have the educational background (i.e., a bachelor's in damn near anything from an accredited four-year program), and
c. do you have the basic aptitude and desire to be a Naval officer (no medical issues, good ASTB scores, and you're not doing this "because going to fly for the airlines in a few years is my dream job")

Desire to be a Naval officer is the number-one priority. OCS and the Aviation program are very tough schools to go through, and unless you are determined to get your wings...well, put it this way: the only easy thing to do in the Program is quit.

None of your ideas are good ones, frankly, at least insofar as helping you get to OCS. If you get turned down first round, then by all means find some productive way to fill the time until the next round. Start work on your grad degree, or do some private flying lessons (before you ask, NO, a private ticket won't help your chances of getting in or getting jets). But if your real goal is to be a Naval Aviator, don't commit yourself to anything else in the meantime...no matter what that Navy recruiter says.

Park

Thanks for the comments. So this seems like a problem other guys applying to OCS have as well. What the hell do you do in the months before finding out if accepted or not? If I knew for sure I would get the commission I would have no problem taking a half year vacation, but I need a backup plan for the distinct possibility I will not be accepted. I want to find something to do that will not make me feel worthless, but also something that can be dropped immediately. Any random ideas would be cool.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for the comments. So this seems like a problem other guys applying to OCS have as well. What the hell do you do in the months before finding out if accepted or not? If I knew for sure I would get the commission I would have no problem taking a half year vacation, but I need a backup plan for the distinct possibility I will not be accepted. I want to find something to do that will not make me feel worthless, but also something that can be dropped immediately. Any random ideas would be cool.

Like they said, you could START a grad program...working for your back up plan while waiting to see if you get selected is not a bad idea. However, just getting your MBA BECAUSE you want to look more competitive for the selection boards is a terrible idea.

I was working on my Air Traffic Control certification in case I didn't get picked for pilot. I also have my PPL but I simply got it because A) it was part of my degree and B) I enjoy flying. I didn't get it to boost my app.

If starting your MBA is what you really have your heart set on...by all means. Also in the mean time start PT'ing like crazy assuming you are going to get picked and ready to be in the best physical shape of your life. If you can do anything that shows leadership or a club that you are interested would be a nice bullet on the OCS application. (Don't join clubs just to join either...find something you enjoy) For example, I coached little kids soccer on the side for two years and found it very fulfilling.

That information there should be more than enough to fill your time in your adventure to try to become a Naval Aviator.

Good luck.

nugget61

pilot
Didn't see it mentioned, but you can get into BDCP in grad school. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor

Well, since any random ideas would be cool, how about a job? Nothing like getting out of debt to make you feel less worthless. Having to work to satisfy a boss is also good training for your future in the Nav. Not trying to be a smart-axx, just really think work experience is good for anyone. Lots of decent work out there if you're good with your hands and don't mind getting dirty. Those are also the kind of jobs that are easy to drop when you get the call. As memory serves, anyhow. Good luck and I hope you make it!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Didn't see it mentioned, but you can get into BDCP in grad school. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

Hmmm....I would need proof to believe that. I know the CEC will do a BDCP-like program for grad students, but only because once they have their Masters, the Navy won't have to send them later (All career CEC officers are detailed to grad school). In other words, it accomplishes something.

For SNA, I'm sure the Navy would sooner have you ditch your grad program to go to OCS since your Bachelor's meets the requirements.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
Apply for OCS and start flying. Flying can occupy enough of your time that you don't feel worthless. It took me 3.5 months to get my ppl and 72 hrs while working full time...i'm sure that flying and doing ground school at a comfortable pace, you could occupy 4+ months of your time doing something beneficial to you, enough so that you wont feel worthless. Besides, if you want a career in aviation, and a military career doesn't work out, you have to start somewhere.

nugget61

pilot
Hmmm....I would need proof to believe that. I know the CEC will do a BDCP-like program for grad students, but only because once they have their Masters, the Navy won't have to send them later (All career CEC officers are detailed to grad school). In other words, it accomplishes something.

For SNA, I'm sure the Navy would sooner have you ditch your grad program to go to OCS since your Bachelor's meets the requirements.

I've yet to final select, but I got the pro-rec already and am only waiting on a PRK waiver to get in bdcp sna.

nugget61

pilot
Apply for OCS and start flying. Flying can occupy enough of your time that you don't feel worthless. It took me 3.5 months to get my ppl and 72 hrs while working full time...i'm sure that flying and doing ground school at a comfortable pace, you could occupy 4+ months of your time doing something beneficial to you, enough so that you wont feel worthless. Besides, if you want a career in aviation, and a military career doesn't work out, you have to start somewhere.

I dunno about this dude. Flight school is really expensive (Funds out>funds in=bad) and the Navy is going to teach him to fly like they want him to for free... don't see the point in wasting the money.
And with today's economy, good luck getting into an aviation career with little real experience.

Park

Tried the Job Cowboy, $8 an hour bitch work at a ski resort, hard to take after running a business the past two years where I paid my employees twice that. Got the PPL Leviticous , took a bit out of my savings but got it done in 43 hrs, 2 months, no way I am taking the slow path to airline pilot though, actually just don't want to be an airline pilot period. Just want to move to Pensacola tomorrow. The waiting is killing me, found out at MEPS my eyes are no good too so I have to get PRK and wait more (or apply to Air Force).

Anyways, I will stop bitching, could anybody point me towards BDCP info?