• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA or degree

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No disagreement there, but the post said, and I quote: "I'm GOING to do that!"
What, like fly off of ships, experience the thrill of an aeronautical challenge not found in any other organization in the world, enjoy great camaraderie with squadronmates and crew, lose a friend in an operational mishap, own a sports car, ride a motorcycle, and have beautiful wives and girl friends. All that was accurately depicted in Top Gun and I personally experienced it all (except it is wife, singular, in my case). Anyone entering the Navy as an aviator is "GOING to do that" and more.

Lighten up Francis. You are not cool just because you know the inaccuracies in Top Gun.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Exactly. Great attitude.

The difference between us and the average joe is when someone sees Top Gun they go "wow that looks really cool. I wish I could do that" and we say "wow that looks really cool. I'm GOING to do that!"

:eek: Jesus H Christ. Putting the carriage ahead of the horse aren't we? First you have to make it to OCS. Then you have to make it through OCS. After this you have to make it through API, followed by Primary to even have a slim shot at selecting jets. Once you hit this stage, you have to make it through advanced training. None of these stages or phases of training are a walk in the park (ask those that have been there). Even if all your stars lined up, to COUNT ON making it to NFWS at some point in your career is just idiotic.

Everyone can have hopes and dreams, it's what keeps us going. But to state with confidence that you are going to make it to NFWS as a BDCPer is very immature and unrealistic in my opinion. I think you owe it to yourself, as well as those that are looking up to you for advice as an SNA select on this board, to be realistic as to how things work in the REAL navy.

In the meantime if you still feel it necessary to oil yourself down and play sand volleyball whilst listening to the top gun soundtrack, knock yourself out.

:icon_mi_1

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
own a sports car

Actually no Naval Aviator owned a sports car...at least that we saw...in Top Gun...The gorgeous Porsche 356A (yes boys...its a two syllable word) Speedster in the movie was Kelly McGillis's. ;)
In the meantime if you still feel it necessary to oil yourself down

I know I do....:D

Kycntryboy

pilot
:... First you have to make it to OCS. Then you have to make it through OCS. After this you have to make it through API....

Forgetting about making it to API? In A-pool I've seen many workout as well as stomachs go to the wayside.:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^You guys ever hear of a positive mental attitude? I don't think you'd have to look too hard find something in one of joboy's posts to dump on him for. I just don't see it here. To begin with, what made you think the " I'm going to do that" meant I'm going to NFWS? Maybe he meant it in reference to nailing Kelly McGillis or riding a crotch rocket along side the runway at Miramar, or maybe he just meant "I'm going to fly Navy". That is the way I took it. And BTW, I think he knows all the hoops he has to jump through to earn his wings, because I explained it to him in more detail then any of you guys would ever take the time to do.

If you prefer, we can just tell the next wannabe that OCS selection is out of the question. And we can tell all the candidates to expect to attrite from OCS and if they are the 1% that get their commission, they will only get their third choice on every pipeline, aircraft and assignment selection they face. That might make you feel better since you have yours and you don't need the competition.

Godspeed

pilot
^^^You guys ever hear of a positive mental attitude? I don't think you'd have to look too hard find something in one of joboy's posts to dump on him for. I just don't see it here. To begin with, what made you think the " I'm going to do that" meant I'm going to NFWS? Maybe he meant it in reference to nailing Kelly McGillis or riding a crotch rocket along side the runway at Miramar, or maybe he just meant "I'm going to fly Navy". That is the way I took it. And BTW, I think he knows all the hoops he has to jump through to earn his wings, because I explained it to him in more detail then any of you guys would ever take the time to do.

If you prefer, we can just tell the next wannabe that OCS selection is out of the question. And we can tell all the candidates to expect to attrite from OCS and if they are the 1% that get their commission, they will only get their third choice on every pipeline, aircraft and assignment selection they face. That might make you feel better since you have yours and you don't need the competition.

I'm not knocking him for his aspirations, and i'm not putting him down just to be an a*hole. Your last paragraph makes it seem as if i'm advocating a "no one accomplishes this" attitude. Not what I am trying to convey. I think the only way to live life is to shoot for what you want, despite its realism.

I think we've all seen a great deal of extremely qualified, hard working, well motivated indivduals not make it. I think on top of a lot of hard work, it also takes a stroke of luck to achieve such goals. How many great people get Npq'd?... the Nami Wami, etc. Sometimes the slots aren't there, etc. I think it is extremely important for a candidate to recognize the possibility that yes, it is achievable, but also recognize and appreciate the fact that it might just not happen for any given number of controllable and/or uncontrollable reasons.

I don't find anything wrong with discussing hopes and dreams, and certainly advocate having them, but I think that with an 'audience' of prospectives that visit this board on a frequent basis looking for advice and gathering information to make important decisions with their futures, that we responsibly distinguish the difference between what are at this point distant dreams, and realities.

Stated differently, I think it is a mistake for a BDCPer or any officer candidate to make NFWS at this stage seem like a certain part of their future.

As an officer, naval aviator, and recruiter (that has helped countless individuals on this board, myself included), you're argument is obviously much more credible than mine.... I just can't help but find something wrong with someone talking about NFWS when they haven't even reported to OCS..... Just doesn't settle well for some reason.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Listen Godspeed,

While I say some stupid things sometimes, you seem to be one of the more regular ones to sh!t on my head, and being a fellow BDCPer, I don't get it. I said nothing about going to NFWS or any of that crap. My quote was in the eyes of a kid who just saw crazy jets flying around and the White uniforms and blah blah blah. Over the past year I have learned a LOT about what I need to do to continue on to reach my goal. I don't feel there is anything wrong with being confident.

How many people have you seen say it would be really cool to do something (like be a military pilot) and then end up doing something else because there is "no way they could do that". People who lack confidence often settle for what's available. I like to follow my father's advice. He said "someone has to do it, so why not you?". SOMEone has to be a navy pilot so why not me? I applied and got my chance. Who is to say I won't get jets?? (not that I necessarily plan on selecting jets...that's way too far in the future to think about now). My point is, give people on here the FACTS but don't completely sh!t on their dreams.

If I thought it was impossible to do what I may end up doing now, I would probably be searching for a desk job as an engineer come may, but now I will likely end up a Naval Aviator. Forgive me about being confident and cocky....I know people who like that in their pilots...;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
we responsibly distinguish the difference between what are at this point distant dreams, and realities.

All dreams are distant. That is what makes them dreams. When you have achieved them, they become reality. True, not all dreams are achievable, but it is safe to say that any SNA or SNFO showing up at OCS may still, in fact, fly jets, go to TPS (yes NFOs go to TPS), or go the NFWS. Call it a dream, call it a goal. It is absolutely possible, agreed?

Stated differently, I think it is a mistake for a BDCPer or any officer candidate to make NFWS at this stage seem like a certain part of their future.
Again, I thought his comment referenced flying in the Navy or the lifestyle in general. I could be wrong.

As an officer, naval aviator, and recruiter (that has helped countless individuals on this board, myself included), you're argument is obviously much more credible than mine....
Thanks for the bone, and I appreciate the clarification.

BackOrdered

Contributor
In defense of my earlier post (in fear I may be seen just as critically as joboy), no one is saying you can't have dreams. Dreams are great. But the Navy's dreams come first and often the Navy's dream isn't quite the same as your dream. It sounds weird, but I dreamed of being a supply officer. Ask anyone who knows me. In high school NJROTC, it was easily my favorite position and no one issued uniforms or had a more accurate inventory than me. I made a point of this in my motivational statement. To me, the fact that I get to do my favorite high school extra curricular activity and dream job in the real Navy is living the American dream as far as I'm concerned.

Now with that said, if I wake up tomorrow and the Navy tells me "You are not going to be a Suppo, tough luck", that's cool with me. Sure I don't get my dream job, but I still get to be an officer and that's fine with me. I understand the needs of the navy supersede my personal needs and vendettas (j/k). I'm not going to get bitter, scream foul on my recruiter, and wake up in DTX purgatory on day one at OCS all because I want to take my ball and go home since I can't be a suppo. And sure enough, some get picked up for whatever community and do just the opposite. Am I wrong? All I'm saying is that everyone should be mentally prepared for the possiblity (no matter how small or large) of not doing whatever it was they originally wanted to do for the navy.

BackOrdered

Contributor
All dreams are distant. That is what makes them dreams. When you have achieved them, they become reality. True, not all dreams are achievable, but it is safe to say that any SNA or SNFO showing up at OCS may still, in fact, fly jets, go to TPS (yes NFOs go to TPS), or go the NFWS. Call it a dream, call it a goal. It is absolutely possible, agreed?

Agreed!

Godspeed

pilot
Listen Godspeed,
While I say some stupid things sometimes, you seem to be one of the more regular ones to sh!t on my head, and being a fellow BDCPer, I don't get it.

This is the first time to my knowledge i've ever pissed in your cornflakes so to speak, and everyone seems to agree with your side of it anyhow. So relax. I assure you, it wasn't personal. End of argument.