• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA or degree

PCHomerun_4

Since BDCP is so competitive, when being selected what would look better an 3.0 Engineering degree or a 3.7 business degree? All I want to do is fly and work my hardest to get jets. I'm still learning about BDCP, but it sounds like a great option.

Another question, if I don't get accepted to BDCP, will it hurt my chances for going to OCS after I applied for BDCP?

If anyone can help me answer these two questions (of many) that would be helpful.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Bottom line...study what you want to study and do as well as you can. Trying to game the system by choosing the "right degree" is an absolute waste...I have classmates who were aerospace engineers and I have classmates who were liberal arts majors. I have an IR/economics degree...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Bottom line...study what you want to study and do as well as you can. Trying to game the system by choosing the "right degree" is an absolute waste...I have classmates who were aerospace engineers and I have classmates who were liberal arts majors. I have an IR/economics degree...

Good advice. You may be one of those people who can do something they really don't like for 4 years, but why take the chance?

Study something you WANT to study, don't just study something because it will look good on an application. If you find yourself studying something that doesn't take up all of your time, do IM sports or try to get a leadership position in some extracurriculars. There are other ways to improve your application than majoring in something that may make you unhappy.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Since BDCP is so competitive, when being selected what would look better an 3.0 Engineering degree or a 3.7 business degree? All I want to do is fly and work my hardest to get jets. I'm still learning about BDCP, but it sounds like a great option.

Another question, if I don't get accepted to BDCP, will it hurt my chances for going to OCS after I applied for BDCP?

If anyone can help me answer these two questions (of many) that would be helpful.

It isn't that cut and dry. Degree helps but only helps. It isn't a deciding factor by any means. Who is to say what the opinion is of some board member? a 3.4 AE versus a 3.6 Business major? Ya probably the AE looks better to an average guy. A 3.0 AE and a 3.7 business? Well, the business guy is probably a "better" candidate.

Applying if you get rejected in ANY capacity is not a bad thing. Quite the contrary, it shows persistance and I've heard guys get picked up after 5 applications. Keep on trucking and don't worry about these little things. If you want it, you'll get it! Best of luck

PCHomerun_4

That makes a great point study what you want. Thanks for the advice.

How do you go about applying for BDCP to be a pilot. Do you just fill the application out and mark pilot?

And If accepted does BDCP guarantee a slot in OCS and flight school?

joboy_2.0

Contributor
That makes a great point study what you want. Thanks for the advice.

How do you go about applying for BDCP to be a pilot. Do you just fill the application out and mark pilot?

And If accepted does BDCP guarantee a slot in OCS and flight school?

Yup. you put what you want (SNA, SNFO, supply etc) in the application. Up to three choices in order of preference. BDCP or OCS pilot acceptances guarantee you a CHANCE to be a pilot. If you make it through OCS, API Primary and Advanced, you'll be a naval aviator, but this is a lot harder than some people think. If you succeed, it's guaranteed, but succeeding is not guaranteed.

How's that? :)

PCHomerun_4

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. Yea it gives you a CHANCE, and you have to work your butt off in flight school. I'm sure its very much worth it though. Nothin good comes easy!

joboy_2.0

Contributor
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. Yea it gives you a CHANCE, and you have to work your butt off in flight school. I'm sure its very much worth it though. Nothin good comes easy!

Exactly. Great attitude.

The difference between us and the average joe is when someone sees Top Gun they go "wow that looks really cool. I wish I could do that" and we say "wow that looks really cool. I'm GOING to do that!"

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The difference between us and the average joe is when someone sees Top Gun they go "wow that looks really cool. I wish I could do that" and we say "wow that looks really cool. I'm GOING to do that!"

Ok...stop right there. Top Gun isn't exactly a good portayal of what you'll do as an aviator, please, don't make yourself look like a tool with that kind of comment...again.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Ok...stop right there. Top Gun isn't exactly a good portayal of what you'll do as an aviator, please, don't make yourself look like a tool with that kind of comment...again.

I didn't mean I'd be maverick. But it's the bug that starts one to wonder what life would be like as a naval aviator. Jeez....when I was a kid I enjoyed it and thought it was cool. Obviously I know now that's not how it is...

BackOrdered

Contributor
Gettin picked for the TOP GUN school wouldn't be so bad! lol

True. However, most on this forum do their best to discourage this way of thinking with good reason. It's a reckless way of thinking that ends often in disappointment from several varying factors, most of which are out of your control. Next thing you know, your recruiter lied to you. No matter what you do, remember you are an Officer first and a (insert community here) second.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No, but it did look way cool, and who in his right mind wouldn't want to do that, accurate or not? That movie came out when I was an active duty recruiter. My phone nearly rang off the hook for three weeks. As a recruiter, I am looking for just about any motivation to get them in the door. I can always straighten them out on reality later, hopefully before they get to OCS ;) .

Kycntryboy

pilot

I changed my degree to make myself to be more competitive and to be able to apply early (went from a biology major to ~genetic engineering major), it challenged me more than I would have been challenged and I think it helped me pick up some good study habits. Bottom line I picked the most competitive degree I know I would like to study. On the flip side you should make sure if the Navy doesn't pan out you can still use your degree.
Best of Luck,
Clay