• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Helos?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Connor gouge still floats around in various forms, but Brimblecom was a SH stud (or so I was told) and his info is a bit more current. The alphabetical listing of DIs is great for the new syllabus.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Brim gouge for the flights, Italian gouge for the natops closed book. Don't listen to the civilian in 18 that tells you not to use the gouge for the closed book - that is really idiotic.

Keep in touch with some studs that are a bit ahead of you, don't get behind on the RI problems, enjoy the BI sims (easiest time you'll have in flight school) and get the verbals (down-right-idle-turn, etc.) down cold. Memorize EP indications along with notes warnings cautions, look up extra limits (max rotor brake pressure, anyone?) in chapter 2...

and HAVE FUN.

squorch2

pilot
As an aside, if you find you can't translate the old "snake" flowchart to the MPTS one, just keep clicking on things that look like nothing else... for instance, BIs, RIs and fams are more or less the same, but tactics, low-level nav, forms and ship/sar stuff used to be called HTACs and are the H1, H2, etc. things on the old flowchart.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Awesome website. Thanks for sharing ... it will surely provide a great wealth of information to go over. Cheers!!! :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
S.O.B. said:
What happened to Conner Gouge? That SH1T was the deal when I was in school.

I'm guessing it's dated now, since they redid the curriculum. "Conner's" dad was my neighbor and creator of the gouge when I went through. The good thing about it was that it put everything you needed to study into one place. I would still go look up the particular pub and read from there, but at least I didn't need to hunt for where it went. Came in very handy when I would roll in from an RI flight at 22:30 and then be scheduled the next morning at 0900.

As an aside, if you find you can't translate the old "snake" flowchart to the MPTS one, just keep clicking on things that look like nothing else... for instance, BIs, RIs and fams are more or less the same, but tactics, low-level nav, forms and ship/sar stuff used to be called HTACs and are the H1, H2, etc. things on the old flowchart.

...And enjoy the NVGs. They're a pain in the ass, heavy, and kind of annoying to look through. And yet, you'll wonder why you haven't been using them for the last 6 months when doing any night flying.

squorch2

pilot
gatordev said:
...And enjoy the NVGs. They're a pain in the ass, heavy, and kind of annoying to look through. And yet, you'll wonder why you haven't been using them for the last 6 months when doing any night flying.
Are they putting Navy studs through the NVG syllabus yet? I've heard it's going to be Marine-only for a while.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know. I thought they were, but my info may be dated/incorrect.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
First on the gouge, Brimble is awesome. It doesn't have everything there, and it's a bit dated (especially the flow chart), but the alphabetical listing of discuss items is priceless. Definitely a great help. His Jet Log program is extremely useful on the RI problems, too.
BryanWeatherup.com has some decent stuff, but is pretty dated.

As for the Navy and NVG training, still no-go. I've asked about it and so far there just aren't enough NVG compatible TH-57s or CAT III (NVG) qualified instructors to begin putting everyone through the syllabus. So for now it is just the Marines who get to wear the goggles in advanced. As far as I know, there isn't a set goal to begin training the Navy guys in it, either.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eh, no great loss. You'll get the training in the RAG and you won't be blinded by the RIDICULOUSLY bright runways at NDZ.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Just make sure that the big fan above you keeps spinning until the wheels or skids are on the ground. It is surprising how many forget this one. Good Luck.

MasterBates

Try Mayport for NVG. NRB requires NVG after 2359, and they leave the lights on MAX BRIGHT. Nevermind all the ships in the basin.

NVGs are cool, but there are sometimes I prefer unaided night.