• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got to pet a Raptor today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Went to the Nellis today and got to look at and pet a raptor, absolutely beautiful airplane. Saw a few taking off and landing as well. They had all the weapons bays open on it so I got to look inside. Only bad part was they had the intake and exhausts covered, but we were allowed to take pictures.

Once again, BEAUTIFUL aircraft, I would love to fly one. I also talked to a few guys about capability. They had some interesting stories to tell about some fights(BVR, and Close in) with -15s and -16s. :icon_smil

beau

My Cousin and his wife fly Block 50's out of Shaw....he was passing through OK while i was visiting his parents and he got to stop to refuel.....he let me sit up in that thing....wow, I though there was no room in a T-45!!!

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Pretty? Oh come on, am I the only one who thinks these new planes (Raptor and JSF) are ugly as sin?

petescheu

Yeah that thrust vectoring is supposed to be pretty sick in terms of adding to high alpha performance.
Hopefully we'll never have to use them, but I think it's a necessary expense in order to maintain our technological advantage over the rest of the world. Gotta give it to the Air Force though, they sure know how to get lots of money...

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Patmack18 said:
Shiney... pretty... over priced and useless... I'll be surprised if the thing ever see's action.
Oh, you mean like a ballistic missile submarine? Or how about a B-52 strategic nuclear bomber? Wow, I can think of many "useless" military systems that are simply expensive and may not see any action. Yeah, we should just junk em all and strip ourselves naked.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
FLYMARINES said:
Raptor is ugly as sin, but the JSF looks alright.
I'm 180 on this. If they had picked the OTHER JSF I'd agree, but the huge gaping A-7esque JSF is ugly in my book, just as the A-7 was.

JSF, A-7 with different body panels :D

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I believe that the JSF you are speaking of is the Boeing X-32 (The A-7 looking model, which by the way lost the JSF competition.) The X-35 is the one that won, and doesn't look at all like the A-7. In my opinion it actually looks pretty cool.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Geese said:
Oh, you mean like a ballistic missile submarine? Or how about a B-52 strategic nuclear bomber? Wow, I can think of many "useless" military systems that are simply expensive and may not see any action. Yeah, we should just junk em all and strip ourselves naked.
both of those examples carried Nukes, i suppose we are pretty lucky they never saw the "action" they were originally built for, eh ...

speaking of eyeballing a F-22, i snapped these badboys a couple years ago:
$
$$$
$$$
$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

S/F

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I forgot to add, the YF-23 was sexy and hot. Why didn't it get selected?

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
FLYMARINES said:
I believe that the JSF you are speaking of is the Boeing X-32 (The A-7 looking model, which by the way lost the JSF competition.) The X-35 is the one that won, and doesn't look at all like the A-7. In my opinion it actually looks pretty cool.
Oh, duh, that's right. I remember it hovering with many body panels removed. :D

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Geese said:

B-52 got lots of use in Vietnam

hendogg311

Yf-23

I think the Black Widow is much cooler than the Raptor. I heard a story that the Test Pilot who flew both aircraft was pissed when they selected the F-22 and was basically told to shut up. Not sure why the YF-23 lost though. Couldn't be cost because the Air Force always gets all the money for the new toys.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Super18Ordie said:
B-52 got lots of use in Vietnam
exactly, and tactical bombing was something that they never envisioned the B-52 would be used for, and how could you even see how something like that would be used in the future? The point is that you don't know the future of the F22 and what it will do, or even what it is capable of.

And ballistic submarines are launching tomahawks and delivering seal teams, again, something that may not have been forseen, but something that they've done and they have most certiainly gotten some use.

Status
Not open for further replies.